Geological site FSS long scan time issue still occurring

I'm still seeing this exact issue occurring in-game (geological sites scan time in FSS is tied to framerate, 60Hz is painfully slow). Should I submit a new issue or can we get that one re-opened?

(also related, mouse sensitivity is also tied to frame rate, but maybe that isn't particularly odd)

Last edited:
The recently introduced likelihood prediction in the scan box was to help with this. The planet rendering still takes the time it did before, just now you get a probability indication to help you decide if you would be interested in that body.

I am told that if you move on without the scan completing, if you go to the system map then the scan(s) will resolve in the background - have not tested that as my explorer account only bothers with bio signals not geo ones.

(The mouse sensitivity is presumably directly related to the fact that the rendering process for the body is using up clock cycles. I don't use mouse in FSS.)

The recently introduced likelihood prediction in the scan box was to help with this. The planet rendering still takes the time it did before, just now you get a probability indication to help you decide if you would be interested in that body.
Well, I've tested it out a bit, and it's literally five times faster with framerate uncapped, so something is still definitely wrong. :LOL:

Gonna dump it in the issue tracker anyway: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/12388

I am told that if you move on without the scan completing, if you go to the system map then the scan(s) will resolve in the background - have not tested that as my explorer account only bothers with bio signals not geo ones.
I wondered if that would work. I'll have to give that a go.

Well, I've tested it out a bit, and it's literally five times faster with framerate uncapped, so something is still definitely wrong. :LOL:

Yes we know that the scan times are directly affected by the frame rate, that is why the probability thing was added. They have not sought to untie the rendering of planetary bodies with frame rate, they offer the probability as a salve only.

By all means stick it in the issue tracker but they have said that it is working as intended, that the game has to actually render each body to determine number (and position) of surface features - presumably that rendering is undertaken by the GPU and hence is directly related to / affected by frame rate.

Last edited:
Yes we know that the scan times are directly affected by the frame rate, that is why the probability thing was added. They have not sought to untie the rendering of planetary bodies with frame rate, they offer the probability as a salve only.

By all means stick it in the issue tracker but they have said that it is working as intended, that the game has to actually render each body to determine number (and position) of surface features - presumably that rendering is undertaken by the GPU and hence is directly related to / affected by frame rate.
Oh I see what you're saying. Huh. Ah well I'll leave it up there. Thanks for the input. :)

Top Bottom