Distant Worlds II Event Geology and Organics Department

Geology rocks!

I'm wondering what our record for the number of active sites on a planetary surface will be. My best so far is 44 separate geological sites on a small moon

They go at least up to 50. Can't seem to remember seeing more than 49 geo spots myself.

Last edited:
Finishing up and more info should be available by end of day 1/10/18. Going to have a sign up sheet for the various roles, as well as the launch of the website that will house event info, weekly spotlights and media and stuff. There should be a channel on fleetcom discord for geology and bioogy

Just wanted to point out that I have the same issue as Mageinta_Warrior. If you search for the discord channel on the fleetcom server theres no geology and organics department channel unfortunately. The main DWII post states that #dw2-geology-and-organics is the channel for this but attempting a search (pictured)

7vHv09B

Hello and Goodnight from Cycladia or Blu Thua GI-B B55-2

Hope everyone had a good launch. Look forward to meeting up at base camp and getting started. Hope along the way you find some good discoveries. Website has all the links up for submitting, scouting, research and RP.

Notice: As we all meet up at Base Camp in Omega, I'd like to find a nice little geological site of our own to do a little department meet and greet. Maybe go over some last minute tips and what not. Will get more info as I draw nearer in the next days.

Last edited:
The idea for Geology group exclusive meetup sounds really fun!
I got a question regarding the scouting role though, I'm currently ~6kLY away from Waypoint 2 and was wondering if we should establish some sort of a maximum scouting distance from the designated waypoint? Just so that the rest of the department wouldn't need to spend ages in order to get over to the locations.

Proposal: For those of us that like chatting on voice in discord, maybe we can agree on a typical voice channel? Or maybe we can get a bio/geo voice channel rather than a numbered one? (like the fuel rats got, Lucky blokes)

Proposal: For those of us that like chatting on voice in discord, maybe we can agree on a typical voice channel? Or maybe we can get a bio/geo voice channel rather than a numbered one? (like the fuel rats got, Lucky blokes)

seconded! at least for the group meetings, it would be a good thing to try.

After the release of the update, the search for geological objects was much easier. You fly up to the planet and all POIs are visible after scanning the surface. The questions are as follows:
1. Do I need to scan all POIs on the planet? Or one / two scans is enough.
2. How to find out if this planet was scanned before me as part of DW2.
3. On which planets can you find organics? If everything is clear with volcanism, then with organic matter. I just haven't met them yet.
4. What is the point to put the coordinates of latitude and longitude POI? It seems to me enough to specify only the system and the planet.
5. Where to accumulate all data about the findings? Is there any established form?

P.S. Are there Russian-speaking pilots here?

Cheating slightly as I was already out here, and it's a little off route, but HD 167971 is a rather nice system, with lots of biological and geological sites:

mdSzB0W.jpg

IhYzgx5.jpg

- AB 1 - B:3, G:16
- AB 2 A - B:5, G:31
- AB 2 A - B:5, G:7
- AB 6 A - B:3, G:5
- AB 6 B A - B:1, G:18
- AB 7 A - B:3, G:20
- AB 7 C - B:4
- AB 7 D - B:5
- D 1 A - B:5
- D 2 B - B:5, G:17
- D 2 C - B:4, G:21
- D 2 D - B:5
- D 2 E - B:5
- D 2 E A - B:4, G:34
- D 3 A - B:5

Prasinus Bioluminescent Anemones found on AB 1, AB 2 A, & D 2 C.
Silicate Vapour Fumaroles found on AB 2 A
(Only a site or 2 checked on each of those bodies.)

Not sure if you want this kind of thing reporting in a different way, MadRaptor?

Just wanted to point out that I have the same issue as Mageinta_Warrior. If you search for the discord channel on the fleetcom server theres no geology and organics department channel unfortunately. The main DWII post states that #dw2-geology-and-organics is the channel for this but attempting a search (pictured)

Well clearly I goofed on the image tags so heres the link to the image I was referring too. https://imgur.com/a/7vHv09B

Geology is easier to check as many types only have 2 geologies. Those that can have 3-4 (in theory) can also spawn them in practice. 3 have been seen at least for those types which mostly concerns Iron and Silicate. Nitrogen, Methan, Ammonia, Ice Water, Ice Carbon only have 2.
If you want to be thorough you shouldn't leave before checking all geo spots or having found at least 2 types of them to get 65-100% possible options documented.

Life is indeed separate from geological and can be discerend well. Life actually spawns in rows - unlike geology that seems to have a chaos element. So you only need to find the "border" between the spawns. However they CAN loop back around. The numbers seem to be added to the RNG after they are spawned. So it can start at 23, go up to 1 and go further till 5. There another one starts at 6 and goes to 22. If you find the number borders by cutting distances in half for approximation you can jump a lot of biozones inbetween. If you found all borders (0 for pure worlds, 2 for 2 types of bio, 3 for 3 types of bio etc.) you can leave. Sadly this structure that bio follows has been seen defied by geology, it can randomly strew in rogue ones. Due to type limits of geology those are formerly known types so the system works there too in 90+% of cases. But it follows the system loosely.

This has happened before. Make sure you have the dw2 geologist role as well the distant worlds 2 role. That should take care of things

I actually went to them about that and for now they said we should try out the numbered wing chats. If it becomes an issue or we really feel it's necessary I can go back and talk to them and they should be okay with adding a geo specific channel.

Cheating slightly as I was already out here, and it's a little off route, but HD 167971 is a rather nice system, with lots of biological and geological sites:

- AB 1 - B:3, G:16
- AB 2 A - B:5, G:31
- AB 2 A - B:5, G:7
- AB 6 A - B:3, G:5
- AB 6 B A - B:1, G:18
- AB 7 A - B:3, G:20
- AB 7 C - B:4
- AB 7 D - B:5
- D 1 A - B:5
- D 2 B - B:5, G:17
- D 2 C - B:4, G:21
- D 2 D - B:5
- D 2 E - B:5
- D 2 E A - B:4, G:34
- D 3 A - B:5

Prasinus Bioluminescent Anemones found on AB 1, AB 2 A, & D 2 C.
Silicate Vapour Fumaroles found on AB 2 A
(Only a site or 2 checked on each of those bodies.)

Not sure if you want this kind of thing reporting in a different way, MadRaptor?

While you can do it this way, using the submission sheets found in the dw2 geolgoy discord channel or on the websites is the ideal way.

The idea for Geology group exclusive meetup sounds really fun!
I got a question regarding the scouting role though, I'm currently ~6kLY away from Waypoint 2 and was wondering if we should establish some sort of a maximum scouting distance from the designated waypoint? Just so that the rest of the department wouldn't need to spend ages in order to get over to the locations.

My initial intentions were to only start scouting around base camps. Figured it be better that way since people are taking different routes and different times but we'd all be at the same base camp at some point. However, people are excited and wanted to get work done so I've opened them earlier. You can do them whenever you like, just now that if it's not near the base camp area then it'll most likely not be surveyed.

As for the meetup. Yeah, I'm liking it more and more. So as far as it stands, it's all a go. So if you make it to base camp 1, start looking for some awesome geo or bio site to gather at.

Top Bottom