General / Off-Topic GET WELL SOON!

The thing is.... Getting this onto an Elite perspective... The elephant in the room... This effects Frontier staff too.

There is therefore a high chance the next release will be delayed because of it.

That's what I was thinking, too. Work from home or not, something as disruptive as what is going on now has got to delay both the carriers DLC as well as the New Era due to the limitations of the situation. I expect everything will be pushed back a quarter. Even MS and Sony are expected to delay the release of the next gens.

Oh i have no doubt about that happening, there's already profiteering starting on amazon and the likes

the question is... who is stupid enough to buy toilet roll for £27.80? 17 people apparently... (just on that one listing!)

J5UVRGv.png

the simple solution is not buying it, therefore there isn't a market for these people to flog it and they will be left with spare rooms such as this;

hf5oi73wh6x7dpapzn4q.png

There's some selfish people in the world, i have no idea where they are hoarding all the fresh produce, but ultimately once peoples freezers are at capacity shops will be full again.

I hate to think what Covid-19 will do to the worlds food waste because of these people hoarding food they cant actually consume in time.

the question is... who is stupid enough to buy toilet roll for £27.80? 17 people apparently... (just on that one listing!)

J5UVRGv.png

the simple solution is not buying it, therefore there isn't a market for these people to flog it and they will be left with spare rooms such as this;

hf5oi73wh6x7dpapzn4q.png

There's some selfish people in the world, i have no idea where they are hoarding all the fresh produce, but ultimately once peoples freezers are at capacity shops will be full again.

I hate to think what Covid-19 will do to the worlds food waste because of these people hoarding food they cant actually consume in time.

Solution
pay.png

I already had enough bum bunting to last me until the wave of panic buying idiots subsides, and by then everything will be stocked back up again.

I'm just waiting for the next fallout game to feature some environmental storytelling with a skeleton surrounded by hundreds of rolls of paper towels and no food.

edit: same with the people rushing to buy soap - like... do you not already have soap in your homes, you filthy gits?
These days, I think far too many people have never heard of keeping a months supply of the basics in your house, just in case something happens. Around here, it was primarily about getting snowed in (the last time we got snowed in longer than a day was when I was about ten or so, IIRC). They say that civilization is only three missed meals away from chaos, and between just in time replenishment being the norm and many people having gotten into the habit of only buying food and supplies for the next couple of days, that pretty much describes what happened once realization that "this is really happening!" set it.

After spending four days now trying to buy such esoteric food items as plain white rice and pasta for my self-isolating 78 year old mother, I increasingly do. I should be past being surprised by people's incredible selfishness at 48 but I've become aware of hitherto unknown levels of it this week.
Sorry to hear that, but it's not surprising at all to me. The herd has been told to panic by the media so therefore they are. The real question is why did you wait so long to get ready?

Sorry to hear that, but it's not surprising at all to me. The herd has been told to panic by the media so therefore they are. The real question is why did you wait so long to get ready?

You gotta love the MSM

15 minutes of doom and gloom followed by an interview with an expert who's advice is "don't panic".
Rinse & repeat.

The lack of self-awareness never ceases to make me smile.

What do you mean by 'get ready'? If you mean 'buy a couple of month's worth of stuff' it's because a) neither I nor my mother can afford to buy three month's worth of stuff in one month and b) the only reason there's any need to do that to begin with is that other people who can afford it have done it instead of showing some common sense/ basic human decency.

The people hardest hit by this are pensioners, who are often on low fixed incomes and aren't able to stock up on things because they live week-to-week. Sadly they're also the ones who are now being forced to go directly against all the advice they're getting to isolate themselves because thanks to selfish people, many of whom are in the lowest risk groups, clearing the shelves of everything they can, even when they can get to the shops they can only buy up to two of most essentials now with the restrictions the stores have placed on bulk-buying. That in turn means they have to go out more often. Those restrictions wouldn't have been needed to start with without the actions of the hoarders because supply chains in general are holding up fine. It's only at the end point, the retailer's shelf, where there's a problem.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'get ready'? If you mean 'buy a couple of month's worth of stuff' it's because a) I can't afford to buy three month's worth of stuff in one month and b) the only reason there's any need to do that to begin with is that other people who can afford it have done it instead of showing some common sense/ basic human decency.

Self pity and finger pointing to avoid responsibility. Let me set you straight: if you gradually started bulking up months ago it wouldn't have impacted the bare store shelves phenomenon we're seeing now. Bitterness, recriminations and self pity aren't going to help you at all old friend, they're an unpleasant and unhelpful aspect of an entitlement society that could very well be disappearing forever. Your attitude and outlook are going to be more important than what's in your pantry in the final accounting.

No doubt you'll only perceive an insult here but I hope that isn't the case. It's tough love, and the sooner everyone gets that message through their heads the sooner they'll actually be prepared for what is bearing down on us.

Let me set you straight: if you gradually started bulking up months ago it wouldn't have impacted the bare store shelves phenomenon we're seeing now.
^^^
This.

Having a safety stock of the basics isn't expensive, as long as you build it up a little at a time. Keep an eye on sales and coupons, buy in bulk, and replenish before you run out. Once you've got a months' supply on hand, or however much you feel safe with, then you can start buying at replenishment rates.

^^^
This.

Having a safety stock of the basics isn't expensive, as long as you build it up a little at a time. Keep an eye on sales and coupons, buy in bulk, and replenish before you run out. Once you've got a months' supply on hand, or however much you feel safe with, then you can start buying at replenishment rates.

Yeah that's all great advice. However this strain of coronavirus was first detected in December on the other side of the world and with no realistic indication that it would become a global pandemic at the time. It's only about three months on from that and only about 8 weeks since it started to look as if it was going to become a global problem rather than a regional one like SARS or MERS. The crazy panic buying started about two weeks ago, so that's about a six week window.

I also have to point out that whether something is 'expensive' or not is entirely dependent on the income level of the individual. It doesn't matter if something only costs 50p if you only have 20p. There are also other practical considerations such as the fact that a 78 year old woman who does her shopping every other day using a hand-pulled trolley literally doesn't have room in it to buy extra stuff, which is the entire reason she does her shopping every other day to begin with.

Regardless, I didn't post looking for pity or sympathy and I'm out of this thread now before I say something I'll regret.

People might have noticed that in the four years I've been a member of this forum I don't post in off-topic. I've just been reminded why.

Red, sorry to see that you took that so hard. I've known you on this forum for around four years and always liked you. I wish you well, despite disagreeing with you. Good luck in the days ahead. That last goes for everyone.

Someone really has to re-edit Mad Max and change petrol and water for toilet roll. I'm reading stories of people robbing churches and stealing loo roll and tea bags...

A third of Americans have no savings or surplus of any kind and at least one-in-six have a negative net worth. For many of these people the choice between buying a little extra to stockpile for some vague future possibility, or making ends meet in the here and now, is no choice at all...neglect the latter in favor of the former and one may end up having to carry their pantry with them on to the streets.

In hindsight, I'm sure there are a lot of things a lot of people could have done differently, but that's not of much practical use for them now.

Yeah that's all great advice. However this strain of coronavirus was first detected in December on the other side of the world and with no realistic indication that it would become a global pandemic at the time. It's only about three months on from that and only about 8 weeks since it started to look as if it was going to become a global problem rather than a regional one like SARS or MERS. The crazy panic buying started about two weeks ago, so that's about a six week window.

I also have to point out that whether something is 'expensive' or not is entirely dependent on the income level of the individual. It doesn't matter if something only costs 50p if you only have 20p. There are also other practical considerations such as the fact that a 78 year old woman who does her shopping every other day using a hand-pulled trolley literally doesn't have room in it to buy extra stuff, which is the entire reason she does her shopping every other day to begin with.

Regardless, I didn't post looking for pity or sympathy and I'm out of this thread now before I say something I'll regret.

People might have noticed that in the four years I've been a member of this forum I don't post in off-topic. I've just been reminded why.
The idea is that you start when there is no emergency in sight, not when its riding at full gallop towards your doorstep. My dad was a farmer, and he taught me that you should always keep a months supply on hand, just in case. Of course, his family keep six months of food on hand, since being snowed in for months was a possibility, but we live in the Cities.

Read the second paragraph again and keep reading it until the words sink in please.

My mum was born in 1942 and lived her formative years under rationing after World War 2. I can assure you that there is nothing she needs to learn about the concept of holding a stock of things.

I already know that all the preppers are going to be sitting in their zombie shelters eating beans and being smug. I hope they're all safe and happy. Now as I said, I'm out.

I'm not trying to be rude here, I just do not want to spend time discussing this issue. It's already on my mind far more than I'd like it to be.

Top Bottom