Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

Drivers: As always, keep your NVIDIA drivers up to date. They are always improving DK2 compatibility and performance.

Nop, don't do this, as at least 2 drivers versions did OR useless in ED. Wait before upgrade and check forums for advice/results.

We may have a similar issue and I have a noob question so here goes. How do you set DSR? I've only had the 970 for a month, I had enabled the >1080p resolutions in the NVIDIA software but never noticed that they can be set separately for the Rift and the monitor.

So, in the NV Panel I have the Rift set to DSR 1.5 (resolution enabled and applied to the rift), the game (when running the Rift) is set to 1080. Is this using DSR?

Personally, I cannot see the difference (see my screenshots earlier in this thread).

I think you have to manually select de new resolution in the game.
You will notice it is working because you will see it better and because it will have A LOT of judder (at least my GTX 970 had a lot with 1.5).

Carabassa is right, you just ENABLE the extra resolutions in the NVIDIA CP, but you don't set them there. You have to then go into the game and change the resolution to a higher one. With a GTX 970, you really shouldn't have any judder when cruising around in space, just sometimes near stellar objects and definitely always in stations (I just turn it down for those cases)

Nop, don't do this, as at least 2 drivers versions did OR useless in ED. Wait before upgrade and check forums for advice/results.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

The latest ones are fine.

Just like to point out that EDDS is still working so doing manual file changes for colour and configuration isn't needed. The green you mention in the post is known as Void's Settings.

Ps thanks for changing the font.

This is an awesome thread. Unparking cores and the visual settings in NVCP worked wonders for me - the starfield looks a gazillion times more pretty than before.

Can we get this stickied?

I'm sorry, I have no idea why you are being affected this way. Sorry that's so. Maybe someone here has a suggestion?

It's obviously not working or you'd definitely be somewhat shocked by now...btw are you using DVI or HDMI?

I am using HDMI. Anyway, I have found the time to play more with these settings: in particular, I have turned shadows, bloom and blur off, so that I can now supersample at 1.3 without any judder, then I have reapplied most of the settings you suggested.

Man, I have to really thank you: the sky is full of stars, the stations are so... tangible, before these changes I wasn't even aware of the Viper ceiling above my head. It's like seeing everything again for the first time.

I've unparked them all and will have a play tonight. Anything that Improves the experience is a bonus on my book.

edit: didn't notice a difference. Conclusion: the cores I unparked weren't being used in the first place .

Well that is a serious problem, as it appears ED uses all 4 cores of an intel chip. If you are getting all your cpu activity on one core, and none on the other three... Something is wrong there.

OK, I just tried step 1.
Fantastic results. Thanks!
I'll try sweetFX next.

[EDIT]
I wasn't that fond of sweetFX. I tried the first 2 setting files provided, but didn't try any further adjustments. While the detail was increased and the AA worked smoothly, I found the picture to be darker and more grainy and the text harder to read than without sweetfx.

I also messed around with the in game AA. MLAA2 didn't do too much. MLAA4 had a performance hit, but SMAA works great and looks much better than MLAA.
I'm using the same green HUD as you. Haven't tried it in a wing yet, I hope the colours translate well for that.

Last edited:
OK, I just tried step 1.
Fantastic results. Thanks!
I'll try sweetFX next.

[EDIT]
I wasn't that fond of sweetFX. I tried the first 2 setting files provided, but didn't try any further adjustments. While the detail was increased and the AA worked smoothly, I found the picture to be darker and more grainy and the text harder to read than without sweetfx.

I also messed around with the in game AA. MLAA2 didn't do too much. MLAA4 had a performance hit, but SMAA works great and looks much better than MLAA.
I'm using the same green HUD as you. Haven't tried it in a wing yet, I hope the colours translate well for that.

Before you give up completely, try one more time. For me :D

Try the settings I put in the op of this thread under the sweetfx setting. You tried it after he changed it, and I've put his original settings there. They are the ones that make the difference I was talking about. Look at the band of the milky way and compare on/off and tell me if you still don't like them

I've also updated another step, removed a step and relocated a step in the op. Try step 6, and give me feedback peoples

Ta.

Last edited:
no no.. use Cpt.America's settings for sweetFX. Awesome :D

oops, looks like you misspelled "Color" :D

But with yours I can't see the details on andromeda (it looks like a blur) or the filaments and bulbs in the milky way (looks like a "strangely brown" smudge). I'm all for seeing those at the cost of some minor visual artefacts.

And the flavour of your humour regarding my spelling of colour shows a lack of honour, and the fact that you laboured to make fun of your friend and neighbour shows rigour.

And the flavour of your humour regarding my spelling of colour shows a lack of honour, and the fact that you laboured to make fun of your friend and neighbour shows rigour.
LOL! That's good stuff right there. When we are on voice chat next... lets pay attention to how you pronounce the word. I bet it sounds a lot more like "color" than "colouuur". I will see you in space soon.

Updated the op with a new awesome setting. Captain America, I think you should def experiment with this one.

EDIT: Who destroyed me while I was doing that? Sheesh, you do a good deed for the community and it costs you 670k ;)

Last edited:
mmmk i have figured out after 60 plus hours of attempting to get the perfect dk2 experience out of elite how to get zero stutter. yes in res sites and stations. it works for me and i really hope it works for others as well.

my specs are as follows

gtx 980 stock
samsung ssd with elite installed on it
12 gb ddr 1600 ram
i7 4770k 3.4 ghz stock
saitek x52 / buttkicker/ voice attack / dk

first off this is my preset for the HUD it makes the game imo perfect, dark red enemies and visible green hud

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.35, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.04, 0.03, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

now bare with me through this nonsense i promise you i've been playing for 5 days without stutter besides the occasional when a planet loads in in supercruise. no in station stutter no crowded res site stutter and no navpoint stutter for me.

all settings max
no in game dsr
no in game AA
3840x2160 (nvidia dsr 4x) KEEP READING NO SCAM
oculus quality all the way down

that resolution 3840x2160 with the oculus quality down produces a much clearer and much smoother experience than 2560x1440 with quality up. its mind blowing but with the nvidia control panel stuff i'm going to show you it just works... trust me it took me 5 days of making sure i wasn't crazy to come tell you about it lol.

now this can work with nvidia control panel and these are just my settings that work for me i can't test with amd's ccc
but this is my following settings in the manage 3d setting tab of nvidia control panel i made a profile for elitedangerous.exe not elite launcher but the launcher will start the exe per normal.

under manage 3d settings

ambient occlusion "not supported"
anisotropic filtering "16x"
fxaa "not supported"
aa gamma correction "ON"
aa mode "overide any app settings"
aa setting "8x"
aa transparency "8x super sample"
cuda gpus "use global setting (all)"
maximum pre rendered frames "1"
multiframe sampled aa (mfaa) "ON"
multi display/mixed gpu acceleration "Single Display performance mode"
power management mode "Prefer maximum performance"
Preferred refresh rate "Use global setting (application-controlled)"
Shader Cache "ON"
Texture filtering - anisotopic sample "ON"
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias "Clamp"
Texture filtering - Quality "High performance"
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization "ON"
Threaded optimization "Auto"
Triple buffering "On"
Vertical Sync "On"
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames "1"

under GLOBAL SETTINGS

dsr "all factors selected"
dsr smoothness "slider 100%"
virtual reality pre-rendered frames "1"

then under CONFIGURE SURROUND,

PhysX tab change physX settings to "CPU"

thats my black magic config i found from messing around with this for days... literally. works wonders for me and hope it works for you guys as well

posting this hear as drkaii's thread is where i started most my research for the perfect dk2 experience.

mmmk i have figured out after 60 plus hours of attempting to get the perfect dk2 experience out of elite how to get zero stutter. yes in res sites and stations. it works for me and i really hope it works for others as well.

my specs are as follows

gtx 980 stock
samsung ssd with elite installed on it
12 gb ddr 1600 ram
i7 4770k 3.4 ghz stock
saitek x52 / buttkicker/ voice attack / dk

first off this is my preset for the HUD it makes the game imo perfect, dark red enemies and visible green hud

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.35, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.04, 0.03, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

now bare with me through this nonsense i promise you i've been playing for 5 days without stutter besides the occasional when a planet loads in in supercruise. no in station stutter no crowded res site stutter and no navpoint stutter for me.

all settings max
no in game dsr
no in game AA
3840x2160 (nvidia dsr 4x) KEEP READING NO SCAM
oculus quality all the way down

that resolution 3840x2160 with the oculus quality down produces a much clearer and much smoother experience than 2560x1440 with quality up. its mind blowing but with the nvidia control panel stuff i'm going to show you it just works... trust me it took me 5 days of making sure i wasn't crazy to come tell you about it lol.

now this can work with nvidia control panel and these are just my settings that work for me i can't test with amd's ccc
but this is my following settings in the manage 3d setting tab of nvidia control panel i made a profile for elitedangerous.exe not elite launcher but the launcher will start the exe per normal.

under manage 3d settings

ambient occlusion "not supported"
anisotropic filtering "16x"
fxaa "not supported"
aa gamma correction "ON"
aa mode "overide any app settings"
aa setting "8x"
aa transparency "8x super sample"
cuda gpus "use global setting (all)"
maximum pre rendered frames "1"
multiframe sampled aa (mfaa) "ON"
multi display/mixed gpu acceleration "Single Display performance mode"
power management mode "Prefer maximum performance"
Preferred refresh rate "Use global setting (application-controlled)"
Shader Cache "ON"
Texture filtering - anisotopic sample "ON"
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias "Clamp"
Texture filtering - Quality "High performance"
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization "ON"
Threaded optimization "Auto"
Triple buffering "On"
Vertical Sync "On"
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames "1"

under GLOBAL SETTINGS

dsr "all factors selected"
dsr smoothness "slider 100%"
virtual reality pre-rendered frames "1"

then under CONFIGURE SURROUND,

PhysX tab change physX settings to "CPU"

thats my black magic config i found from messing around with this for days... literally. works wonders for me and hope it works for you guys as well

posting this hear as drkaii's thread is where i started most my research for the perfect dk2 experience.

Thanks for this. Testing now. Have to say, so far I am impressed. Need to go to some starports and play around with the settings to be more to my liking (I can't stand 100% blur for example)

Thanks for this. Testing now. Have to say, so far I am impressed. Need to go to some starports and play around with the settings to be more to my liking (I can't stand 100% blur for example)

ah yeah that can be off putting at times but tweaking to one's own liking is sometimes half the fun.

doing all this work to get the perfect experience has got me even more into the game than the game itself :D

Ok comments so far:

I'm liking it. It seems slightly better than the setup I had. The main difference is the stations, and the ability to have shadows in them. The generally look a lot less shimmery. I've noticed a lot more stutter in supercruise though, but I'm experimenting. I think I will play like this for a few days and see how it goes.

Couple of things I've changed:

1. I've turned the blur down to 33%. Might turn it down a bit more to get more performance boost.
2. I'm using Adaptive VSync, as it prevents judder completely for me.

p.s. I do like your colours so far. I have to see how they faire too, I'll keep them on a for a few days as well :D

Thanks for this! Rep to you. I'll stick a link to your post in the main thread.

Awesome thanks man! :D

and ill try out adaptive vsync and play around with the blur, glad the colors and settings are working for you. was pretty excited to share this ha. been meaning to join your VR wing just saw that in your sticky, ill be doing that soon, getting close to maxing out my viper :D ... mad at myself for selling my eagle now though i miss that little beast

Awesome thanks man! :D

and ill try out adaptive vsync and play around with the blur, glad the colors and settings are working for you. was pretty excited to share this ha. been meaning to join your VR wing just saw that in your sticky, ill be doing that soon, getting close to maxing out my viper :D ... mad at myself for selling my eagle now though i miss that little beast

Yes. I have a very high spec Vulture, but for general busy-work, nothing beats the light, fast, maneuverable Eagle. I'd never sell it!

I'm going to have to abandon your method. I think it just doesn't work for my rig (970, i5) :( I can see that it does look quite a lot better for those that can handle it so I highly recommend it for people with 980 and Devil's canyon CPU.

Everyone should at least try it.

I'm enjoying your colours, but not sure I'll stick with them just because I'm not used to them...I'll have to see :D

Hey its all good i just hope it helps someone with their frustrations on here, those settings are made to be tweaked. it definately changed my game.

and ya i'm rebuilding my eagle currently ha HUGE regrets on selling that, rushed myself into buying a viper by selling it. vulture is on my list as well. i really enjoyed flying it in the beta, the canopy is incredible in the rift with the glass surrounding you. its cool manually landing and being able to just look down at the pad instead of the landing assist holo ill sign up on that vr wing soon for sure. i have yet to wing with anyone so i'm interested to see how it works with the ones that have signed on there so far. at least going into this we all have common interest in the game with VR setups. i've definately dumped more into this than any other game for sure

Get the Asp first. Trust me. With the Vulture, you can't earn money. With the Asp, you can trade your way to a Vulture in a few hours.

Top Bottom