Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

Thanks for the generous donation! Makes all the difference :)

Better test and send me that error if it comes up again: kaii@dr.com

Working fine after first setup might have had to do with the GUI files as it put the standard version on there so I changed it to the one I use and hit apply it asked to create the folder which I let it create and now when I look in that folder they are all in there. Like it very much will have to make my 2D profile soon. Question will it apply the desktop settings from this app for the second window or is that part just for show?

Working fine after first setup might have had to do with the GUI files as it put the standard version on there so I changed it to the one I use and hit apply it asked to create the folder which I let it create and now when I look in that folder they are all in there. Like it very much will have to make my 2D profile soon. Question will it apply the desktop settings from this app for the second window or is that part just for show?

That part is just for 2D, the game is still bugged and resets the second window in VR :/

not fixed in the beta either although there was a note that hinted it might get fixed

Got it so set that in game if going to record. Good deal thank you I like having my VR settings set where I can see them still if I change something because I have them dialed in about as good as it gets for my setup right now.

Does it access any graphics settings that the game cannot?

Not exactly but it does allow you to combine all graphics settings and the control bindings and a set of HUD colours into any number of profiles, each of which can be applied at the press of a button.

Excellent post and tool drkaii. Much easier to switch between VR and non-VR with this. Thank you!

I have always just used the default colors but I just tried your UI color preset "Dr Kaii's Spiritual Teal". The text is much easier to read and it actually looks more cool than the normal colors.[up][up]

Last edited:
Hi Guys!

Got my Rift and I'm blown away! I consistently get 90 FPS, except inside a space station or when approaching a high density battle field, until I get closer to only a few space craft and it goes back from 45 to 90 FPS. I've been reading through a ton of material on VR up to now, but would appreciate it a lot, if some of the more seasoned players could give my specs and settings a quick once over:

2017-02-16_172257.jpg

Again, most of the time I hit 90 FPS with very little resources left (according to the debug tool). Maybe I should set certain stuff higher and lower other parameters? I know the CPU is also a limiting factor and that my i7-4790 is not at the top, but I wonder if upgrading to an i7-7700 is worth the money (just for Elite in VR).

Thanks and cheers
Rooan

Hi Guys!

Got my Rift and I'm blown away! I consistently get 90 FPS, except inside a space station or when approaching a high density battle field, until I get closer to only a few space craft and it goes back from 45 to 90 FPS. I've been reading through a ton of material on VR up to now, but would appreciate it a lot, if some of the more seasoned players could give my specs and settings a quick once over:

View attachment 114633

Again, most of the time I hit 90 FPS with very little resources left (according to the debug tool). Maybe I should set certain stuff higher and lower other parameters? I know the CPU is also a limiting factor and that my i7-4790 is not at the top, but I wonder if upgrading to an i7-7700 is worth the money (just for Elite in VR).

Thanks and cheers
Rooan

One immediate thing to point out is that you don't need to use the Oculus debug tool to set "Pixels Per Pixel Display Overrride" anymore (that's exactly what the in-game "HMD Image Quality" setting does).

I have no idea how those two interplay if you use them both.

Other than that I run with very similar settings to you (on a GTX 1080) except that I have everything from "Environment Quality" down set to the absolute max and still manage to get 90fps pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:
And I would assume that any EDP settings override the corresponding values within Elite, correct? No matter what they say VR LOW, ULTRA, etc.

Not really an issue with Dr Kaii's excellent ED Profiler but I'm finding my windows 10 starts to run ED Profiler in a none visible part of the screen so it doesn't appear. To fix this hover over the task bar ED Profiler icon and right click in the "mini display screen" select move and then, for me anyway, press the right arrow a few times. Spent ages moving the cursor around with the mouse and nothing happens.

Not really an issue with Dr Kaii's excellent ED Profiler but I'm finding my windows 10 starts to run ED Profiler in a none visible part of the screen so it doesn't appear. To fix this hover over the task bar ED Profiler icon and right click in the "mini display screen" select move and then, for me anyway, press the right arrow a few times. Spent ages moving the cursor around with the mouse and nothing happens.
Reinstall it a few times. A few (incl me) have had this

Hello DrKaii, I recently purchased a new laptop for gaming and two weeks ago purchased the Oculus CV1 to use with Elite. I am not that great at changing computer settings to fine tune the game play I am not sure where to start any help would be much appreciated.

Install EDProfiler and play about with the settings until you get something nice. Main tips are:

1) Leave super sampling at 1.0
2) Turn the HMD Image Quality up to at least 1.25 and then get everything else right to get the frame rate above 45

Out of all this great advice which was really helpful Kaii.

When on lesser systems, I found setting the in game supersampling to.65 and the HMD quality to 2.0 made the experience on the DK2 the most advantageous.

It had no effect on frame rate and totally changed the visual XP beyond expectation.

It made all the difference.

Out of all this great advice which was really helpful Kaii.

When on lesser systems, I found setting the in game supersampling to.65 and the HMD quality to 2.0 made the experience on the DK2 the most advantageous.

It had no effect on frame rate and totally changed the visual XP beyond expectation.

It made all the difference.

Something I've tried and tested and simply do not believe in.

This sounds like a forum full of testers!

This sounds like a forum of testers!

What are the settings you can turn down which have minimal impact on visuals because of the relative low res of VR?

Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks

Top Bottom