Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

This is genius. Thank you so much for posting this. I just got my Rift yesterday and immediately ran into this problem. It was unplayable. I am running an i7-3820 with 16GB RAM and a GTX1080 SC2 card, and I found that I had to share the CPU cores equally between ED and Oculus as follows, so I could have the graphics maxed out and not get jitters even on a planet surface:

Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS tab: Right-Click program > Affinity

EliteDangerous64.exe: cores 0-3
OculusVR.exe: cores 4-7
OVRServer_x64.exe: cores 4-7

Now the head-tracking is butter-smooth, and no loss of frames either.

Thanks again,

AC.

I did this too and definitely improved my experience. Way less dropped frames and much smoothers throughout.
Anyone with an older CPU should try this .
2600k@4.7 16gb ran 1080ti

Edit * thank you very much for discovering this! Has improved my elite experience very much

Last edited:
I did this too and definitely improved my experience. Way less dropped frames and much smoother throughout.

Wow - I've practically forgotten about the affinity stuff... But I still run with it every time!!
Thanks for the kind words.

I took my Autohotkey script to the next level almost a year ago. But, I haven't touched it since then, nor have I really made it public. But, I run this script every time I play ED. Feel free to give it a try. I have an EXE version as well. No install - just run!

The script (and EXE) wait dormant until "EliteDangerous64.exe" launches. Then, it looks for the Oculus processes and automatically sets affinity.

If you execute the script (or EXE) with a command line parameter of "start" it will bypass the GUI.

https://github.com/rkodey/ED-Affinity

Thanks for the script link but I'll probably just stick to doing it manually every time.
It only takes a minute or two and saves having yet another program running in the background!

I haven't read the whole thread (& I'm not going to), so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but....

Drkaii
You mention in your op, CPU overclocking - '
-Don't overclock the CPU unless you have watercooling. That's just a general tip amongst overclockers.

Sorry, but that's wrong & you need to remove that from your op, if you're only doing mild to moderate overclocking you do NOT need watercooling, a better air cooler & good case cooling is definitely a good idea though!
My i7 4930k is overclocked to 4.1 GHz, it's normal max turbo speed is 3.9 GHz, & bear in mind that my CPU is a 6 core one, & an oldish one so will run hotter than modern CPUs (generally), it has no problems being air cooled (as long as I don't let the dust build up! ;)).

Not read the whole guide yet, but it's quite a substantial & impressive guide :cool:

Last edited:
I did this too and definitely improved my experience. Way less dropped frames and much smoothers throughout.

Edit * thank you very much for discovering this! Has improved my elite experience very much

Huh, first I've ever heard of this. Will definitely be giving this a try tonight.

Hey all- I stumbled across a nifty Oculus tweak, related to general smoothness. This is not going to improve your FPS or help out in RES (I don't think) - but for me it seems to have removed a minor but very visible annoyance: random minor hesitations/stutters. I'm curious to see if anyone else can give it a try to see if it improves the experience.

OK... Little backstory: As you may know, the Oculus runtime has been getting updates related to room tracking with multiple sensors. The current non-beta (1.13) seems to have introduced some rather bad bugs, apparently related to those of us using only 1 tracking sensor. See:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ate-anyone-having-tracking-problems?p=5339689
https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/comment/512105

The Oculus tracking problems seemed to be related to high CPU usage.
So... I tried to use process affinity to pin the Oculus runtime to 2 cores, and the ED client to my other 6 cores.
And BINGO! Tracking issues gone!

But THEN I noticed that the entire VR experience seemed noticeably smoother - like magic!

Ok - so now it's your turn... Anyone want to give it a try to see what happens?

I pin
- OVRServer_x64.exe to cores 7-8
- EliteDangerous64.exe to cores 1-6.

You can either:
1) Use a program like process explorer (or others) to manually set the process affinity after launching ED
2) I wrote a little Autohotkey script to set it for me:

Code:
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force

SetTitleMatchMode RegEx
DetectHiddenWindows On

If 1 = exit                                   ; Allow command-line to close the script:  Run, %A_AhkPath% "Elite Affinity.ahk" exit
  ExitApp

SetAffinity( name, mask ) { ; CPU is a bitmask
  Process, Exist, %name%
  hPr := DllCall( "OpenProcess", Int, 1536, Int, 0, Int, ErrorLevel )  
  DllCall( "GetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, IntP, PAM, IntP, SAM )
  DllCall( "SetProcessAffinityMask", Int, hPr, Int, mask )
  DllCall( "CloseHandle", Int, hPr )
}

Loop {
  WinWait ahk_exe EliteDangerous64.exe
  SetAffinity( "OVRServer_x64.exe", 192 )
  SetAffinity( "EliteDangerous64.exe", 63 )
  WinWaitClose
}

I wonder if this will have an effect on a I7 7700K, I may give it a try...

Hey guys, some good tips coming in, I really should update this thread at some point. Please bear with me, I've been so busy as of late, especially with Distant Worlds, but I will get round to this. Feel free to pm me with some of the things you've suggested or things I've missed from others to help me, and even if I don't respond for a while, I can assure you I will look at those pms when the time comes

I wonder if this will have an effect on a I7 7700K, I may give it a try...

So this was interesting when I tested it last night. Overall performance was worse by splitting up the affinity on my i7-8700k. The poor head tracking and stutter was mostly gone still, but just overall graphics performance decreased. Switched it back and I think it might actually be better performance than when I was playing around with settings. Though, to drkaii's credit, I did reset SS/HMD to 1.0/1.25 and adjusted the rest of the settings for performance and this helped way more than I expected.

Since this thread has sparked back into life I just spotted that the image(?) in the spoiler underneath "Set the Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia Control Panel" seems to be missing!

"Set the Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia Control Panel: The game has this but apparently it is better to set it manually in the Nvidia Control Panel. Go to "Manage 3D Settings" > "Program Settings" > Find or add Elite and then apply the following settings:"

Looks like the image link is broken?

Is the OP still valid? Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

"Set the Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia Control Panel: The game has this but apparently it is better to set it manually in the Nvidia Control Panel. Go to "Manage 3D Settings" > "Program Settings" > Find or add Elite and then apply the following settings:"

Looks like the image link is broken?

Is the OP still valid? Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Nope it hadn't but I just did an overhaul, fixed that image and added lots of new tips and advice, and got rid of some out of date stuff, enjoy

Thanks for your work drkaii :)[up]

I've borrowed a friend's Oculus, atm I haven't used it as I'm not sure how well the virtual keyboard is going to work, & I've been messing around in the beta anyway ;).

Last edited:
I noticed SteamVR has now changed its options. I shall update the thread accordingly. Motion smoothing has been added, which is obviously a take on ASW :)

Hi all!

I am playing around 60 hours now with elite dangerous in VR... and its a game, I want to play a lot more... but:

I have read a lot of things about VR and SS and HMD Q and so on... but there is something different in my opinion, which I could not understand.

Let me explain my problem:

I am using an oculus rift, but the game is bought via Steam, and steam has SteamVR.
In other games, I could just run oculus debug tool and play with SS 1.4 and the sharpness has got an great impact (for example project cars, karnage chronicles, beat saber)

All the games are running on SteamVR with Oculus, but the SS will not apply on ED.

So, I have tried manual override in SteamVR, I have tried different ingame settings, I have tried debug tool SS... the picture quality (with or without AA) has not changed... but sometimes the game has great sharpness, and on next launch, the sharpness is gone... without changing. XD

I have also noticed, that the resolution will rise on my display and the frames will somehow drop to 45, but on my rift, it looks like 90fps and same SS 1.0.

What programs I am running?
Oculus Rift (without this, I will not see anything through the rift, even if SteamVR is active)
Oculus Rift Debug Tool
SteamVR (will automatically start with ED, in Project Cars for example I can choose Oculus VR or Steam VR)
Elite Dangerous of course xd
DrKaiis profiler.

So... am I running too much programs ? Can I setup it anywhere to run it just via oculus ? (No I dont want to download it on oculus store... steam playtime *cough* XD)
I am somehow really confused...
Is there any Virtual reality option in Nvidia drivers? (GTX 1070TI)

If I know, where the SS works, than I have no problem in Framerate settings... (I can run the game with everything med / high / Ultra and FXAA and Bloom and Occlusion Off, when I am going to crank up everything, then I have a minimum of 45 frames in my rift, but around 30fps in my monitor...)

I am sure, you will not understand my problem exactly as how I mean, so please if you have questions, please ask me... I am sure that there are a lot of users with the same problem, but not everyone is typing here (Myself also have read the forums for a long time before posting)

Best regards
Otomatik_Osman

Top Bottom