Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

Off Topic
Spacelegs? In Vr? NO and that is the beauty of this tool need to do the switch at that point. Keep it going Dr Kaii

I just got the Oculus Rift.

1: Any recommendations for settings?
2: Is there a way to run this through SteamVR without having Oculus software open?

I feel like I have so many steps to get it running.
Open Steam
Start Steam VR
Oculus Opens
Select Elite Dangerous VR version

It would be nice to get this down to a single shortcut.

I just got the Oculus Rift.

1: Any recommendations for settings?
2: Is there a way to run this through SteamVR without having Oculus software open?

I feel like I have so many steps to get it running.
Open Steam
Start Steam VR
Oculus Opens
Select Elite Dangerous VR version

It would be nice to get this down to a single shortcut.

Forgot steam vr if you have a rift. It is totally unnecessary running it you'll get worse image quality and worse performance.
if you purchase the game on the frontier website you will have a key that you can input into Oculus home to get the game directly from there no need for steam VR

Forgot steam vr if you have a rift. It is totally unnecessary running it you'll get worse image quality and worse performance.
if you purchase the game on the frontier website you will have a key that you can input into Oculus home to get the game directly from there no need for steam VR

Thank you for this information.
I avoided going through Oculus because I'd have to re-download the entire game.

Do you know of a way to just enter the key and not do a complete download in Oculus?

Thank you for this information.
I avoided going through Oculus because I'd have to re-download the entire game.

Do you know of a way to just enter the key and not do a complete download in Oculus?

You are most welcome commander.
No unfortunately I do not know a way to do this.
You could try starting the download from Oculus, then stopping it after a short period -when the relevant folders are created then copying over the entire install folder from steam VR but I personally would not do this as there may be compatibility issues arise good luck

Last edited:
Not sure if this is relevant but there's no need to have the game in either Steam or the Oculus store and no need to use any keys (which I believe deprive FD of a little bit of profit ... or they used to anyway).

Just run the desktop Elite launcher but make sure you have 3D set to Oculus in the graphics settings.

P.S. it's also really worth while installing drkaii's EDProfiler which makes the managing of separate graphics settings, etc for VR Elite and non-VR elite incredibly easy.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...er-Robust-Settings-Profiler-Switcher-Detector!

Not sure if this is relevant but there's no need to have the game in either Steam or the Oculus store and no need to use any keys (which I believe deprive FD of a little bit of profit ... or they used to anyway).

Just run the desktop Elite launcher but make sure you have 3D set to Oculus in the graphics settings.

P.S. it's also really worth while installing drkaii's EDProfiler which makes the managing of separate graphics settings, etc for VR Elite and non-VR elite incredibly easy.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...er-Robust-Settings-Profiler-Switcher-Detector!

I was under the impression that you need Oculus home running for the hmd to actually work used to be able to do it without but with a recent update they changed it is there a work around? Thanks

My rift is not running yet fully, but when I start ED it starts the Oculus Home automatically and tells me off when I try and stop it.

My rift is not running yet fully, but when I start ED it starts the Oculus Home automatically and tells me off when I try and stop it.

Run Oculus Home first.
Find Elite Dangerous on your library.
Click on the '...' near the image of Elite Dangerous.
This will give you the option to start the game not using the headset.

Hi, CMDRs!
I have:
  • Oculus Rift CV1
  • RTX2070 Gigabyte OC-8GC, i7 8700
  • Windows 10
And I also have a complete misunderstanding of what to do next because of my incompetence in this matter))
After reading the topics on this forum, I could somehow improve the image settings. But since I don’t understand anything about it, I’m sure that you can adjust even better)
Please advise the settings for my video card.
Do I need to configure NVIDIA as written here ?
I use EDProfiler, drkaii is my special thanks for it!
Should I use OculusDebugTool in my case? And function ASW?

Thank you in advance!

Вот мои настройки
-OculusDebugTool ss2.0
-ASW off

[/ SPOILER]

[/ SPOILER]
Пожалуйста, укажите, если я где-то сделал ошибку, спасибо.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could point out where the HMDQ setting is in-game it's not present in the graphics settings for me? I run the game via SteamVR btw.

Also since applying some of these suggestions I'm now getting the SteamVR loading screen flashing up intermittently while playing and every time I jump to a new system. It's killing the game for me, really ruins immersion, I've tried reverting all the changes that I've made to stop this but it's hard to keep track of now as I've tried so many tweaks. Has anyone else had this problem?

In the past I ran the game with SteamVR SS set to 180%, and the in-game graphics set to VRMedium which seemed to work fine, I never tried the HMDQ setting as recommended as I don't seems to have it in-game as mentioned above.

Specs:
  • 6700K OC'd to 4.2GHz (can go to 4.5 but the fan gets too noisy for me :) )
  • GTX 1080ti 11GB (stock)
  • Vive.
I'd really appreciate any help with this!

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I found it since, I don't know how I didn't see it before either...

Makes a big difference, I can run the game on 'VR Ultra' with HMDQ at 1.5, just need to drop it on planets. Only problem is I'm still getting the freezes / SteamVR loading screen popups during FSD jumps, is this normal, it seems like it's when the game is loading the next system or something? I can't seem to get rid of it, even putting the settings down to low doesn't seem to affect it.

Lol, no worries :).

Afraid I don't use steam for ED, so sorry I can't help you.
A random shot in the dark though, got the latest grx drivers??

Yeah running the latest drivers, I honestly think I’ve tried everything now, even overclocked my graphics card yesterday to see if that would make any difference, it didn’t. I’m at a loss...

How do you run the game without SteamVR?

Top Bottom