Give us a Re-arm ship like we had in Freespace,

Lestat

Banned
Well compared to scrounging around for hours on planets for minerals, fumbling with menus only to find out you're missing phosphorus and just pressing the R key, not quite like.
Most of what required is Common Minerals.

Yes. If you cannot make it to a station of any description. There is synthesis for that eventuality.
And it works very well as long as you replenish the appropriate mats accordingly.

Flimley

So you are asking something like Battlefield. where ammo and health or bandages are left in areas so a player can pick them up. I have to say No. We already have ways to stay out in combat longer. By using synthesis and collecting Mats. If the player wants to stay out longer they can also engineer their weapons for more ammo supply Or by using other types of weapons to stay in a location longer.

Noo, not like Battlefield, like Freespace :)

Yes. If you cannot make it to a station of any description. There is synthesis for that eventuality.
And it works very well as long as you replenish the appropriate mats accordingly.

Flimley

I agree Flimley to a point. Synthesis is OK, but I use almost every weapon in the game on various ships. Keeping mats on board to supply all of them is just too much hassle.

Lestat

Banned
Hay X2611 I would like to ask you how do you do your combat? Do you use all ammo based weapons?

For me, I use Lasers with a few Ammo base weapons engineered with an extended clip. Lasers to take down the Shields and the Ammo Base weapons to take down the hull with the help with the lasers.

L
Hay X2611 I would like to ask you how do you do your combat? Do you use all ammo based weapons?

For me, I use Lasers with a few Ammo base weapons engineered with an extended clip. Lasers to take down the Shields and the Ammo Base weapons to take down the hull with the help with the lasers.
Les, apart from my 2 Pulse Vulture, all my ships are a combo of thermal and kinetic weapons. All balanced and optimised for given ship, dealing both types of damage to the max. I spend more time in Coriolis than playing sometimes lol.

Yea, yea time I could be spending gathering mats, I know..

Last edited:
Didn't realise that some of you fetuses didn't know the classics. I believe some of the X-Wing series games also had this feature. I agree that it wouldn't fit the open world simulator for freelance captain very well. Those other games were mission based space combat simulators. However, one could have it on the CZ as an event, as I previously suggested. A fleet tender appears and starts repairing, re-arming and refueling allied ships and you have to destroy/protect it.

Oh yes! And, let’s have potato ships too !
GJYGq84.jpg

Flimley

Looks like a Cobra to me.

While it would be incredibly fun to be able to call for various NPC assists, like ammo, fuel, repairs, etc, and have them turn up, and do some stuff, then leave.

They're not particularly needed.
Gathering the raw materials for synthesis is about the easiest thing to do in game.

Look for a geological site on a planet with volcanism, and the G4 element, you need, land, shoot some needle crystals, collect, repeat, then go trade those down for G1-2 elements. Done!

While it would be incredibly fun to be able to call for various NPC assists, like ammo, fuel, repairs, etc, and have them turn up, and do some stuff, then leave.

They're not particularly needed.
Gathering the raw materials for synthesis is about the easiest thing to do in game.

Look for a geological site on a planet with volcanism, and the G4 element, you need, land, shoot some needle crystals, collect, repeat, then go trade those down for G1-2 elements. Done!

I get the idea of NPC aid...but in a multi-player oriented game, I see that as kinda bogus. The 'help' from NPCs in conflict zones is about as far as I want to see them advance.

Now, creating support means for players to support other players. Yeah, that's cool. That builds teams and community, and can produce excellent content when combined well. Keep in mind one of the coolest assets in the game - the Fuel Rats - only exists because the tool, a fuel limpet controller, exists. A tool that can only be used to the benefit of another. Hmm.

It's not about whether or not synthesis is a good or useful feature (that's highly questionable depending on who you ask) but, rather, whether or not a feature enhances opportunities to create content between players.

Additional internal ammo crates would be nice to counter some huge health pools. Doesn't mean more DPS just battle longevity. Synthesis is good for deep space missions and keeping your ship lightweight but I don't think it should be needed just to get through a single High Intensity Battle.

I get the idea of NPC aid...but in a multi-player oriented game, I see that as kinda bogus. The 'help' from NPCs in conflict zones is about as far as I want to see them advance.

Now, creating support means for players to support other players. Yeah, that's cool. That builds teams and community, and can produce excellent content when combined well. Keep in mind one of the coolest assets in the game - the Fuel Rats - only exists because the tool, a fuel limpet controller, exists. A tool that can only be used to the benefit of another. Hmm.

It's not about whether or not synthesis is a good or useful feature (that's highly questionable depending on who you ask) but, rather, whether or not a feature enhances opportunities to create content between players.
The content arguement is solid, and I'd love to play a support role, with balanced tools.
However, there is a big difference between refueling a ship, and rearming one.
Refueling, like you said, can only be used to help a CMDR. Although you could technically "overfuel" a CMDR so they can't jump out of certain systems. Lol
But rearming can allow CMDRs can help them, kill more CMDRs.

It's a bit of an issue, but balanced it could bring some new gameplay styles.
But if it's like heal beams, then it'd quickly become a problem.

If I were to try and balance it, each "ammo rack" (needed for the limpet to work), would have to be assigned an ammo type. This forces the support ship to have significantly less armour.
I'd also have an "all or nothing" reloading style, so if the limpet is interrupted, you get no ammo.
Heal beams would/should also take from your own shields HP, and lose some in the transfer.

Didn't realise that some of you fetuses didn't know the classics. I believe some of the X-Wing series games also had this feature. I agree that it wouldn't fit the open world simulator for freelance captain very well. Those other games were mission based space combat simulators. However, one could have it on the CZ as an event, as I previously suggested. A fleet tender appears and starts repairing, re-arming and refueling allied ships and you have to destroy/protect it.

I agree that a "press R to rearm" mechanic would be a very poor fit for Elite, since ammo limitations are part of weapon balancing.

But I think it's a fantastic idea to make space more varied, which could include dakka-heavy battles where rearming is easier. The obvious case would be CZs in the same instance as an outpost that supports rearming (cf. the Battle of the Gnosis, but with fewer bugs (of both kinds)). A CZ "scenario" event where an enemy/allied repair/rearm ship comes through and has to be destroyed/defended would also be cool. To support rearming, FDev would have to add ammo transfer limpets, and think through the balance consequences for PvP settings. But once that existed, if you really wanted to "press R to rearm" you could wing up with someone with a large ammo pool and call them to your location when needed.

Top Bottom