Give us a Re-arm ship like we had in Freespace,

But once that existed, if you really wanted to "press R to rearm" you could wing up with someone with a large ammo pool and call them to your location when needed.
Yeah, imagine those long Thargoid "boss battles" with a support player in T-10 in the wing. They'd have to fix the invincible heart bug and probably make the often suggested adjustment for the limpets too first, though.

So, essentially unlimited ammo for projectile weapons?

Yes Froggy, unlimited ammo. Just like we have now.
Only difference is, when we wun outa buwwets,
instead of us flying to the big funny ship, we have a bitty
ship fly to us. Now wouldn't that be fun?
Would you like me to paint a picture of it for you?

I see no problem with this. Even in today's military when GI Joe
runs out of clips, he doesn't hop in the jimmy and drive back to
base to reload. They have ARP's and personnel who restock
ammunition. Or maybe you would rather land on planets to
craft bows and arrows? Gimme a break.

The Re-arm ship would naturally come at a cost. For example
double price ammo, your choice of Repair or Silent running sequence
during reload, etc. It would serve as a third option for those who
choose to use it. It would be totally optional, so don't worry about
your precious immersion and narrative.

Seriously, it's the year 330X. Time to get the game up
to speed.

Annoying forum dads.

Last edited:
Great idea.
We desperately need more limpet controllers.
Multicannon re-arm limpets
Railgun re-arm limpets
Fragcannon re-arm limpets
:LOL:

Lestat

Banned
Yes Froggy, infinite ammo. Just like we have now.
Only difference is, when we wun out a buwwets,
instead of us flying to the big funny ship, we have a bitty
ship fly to us. Now wouldn't that be fun?
Would you like me to paint a picture of it for you?
You can use Lasers and your problem would be solved. You can stay out in combat as long as you want.

I see no problem with this. Even in today's military when GI Joe
runs out of clips, he doesn't hop in the jimmy and drive back to
base to reload. They have ARP's and personnel who restock
ammunition. Or maybe you would rather land on planets to
craft bows and arrows? Gimme a break.
Let start busting Myth here. I take it you are going by All ammo is the same. like on Battlefield games. NEWS FLASH. Unless both sides had the same Weapons The ammo will be different due to the size and shape and make of the weapon used.

You can use Lasers and your problem would be solved. You can stay out in combat as long as you want.

Let start busting Myth here. I take it you are going by All ammo is the same. like on Battlefield games. NEWS FLASH. Unless both sides had the same Weapons The ammo will be different due to the size and shape and make of the weapon used.

DUDE! I don't want to use "only Lasers". Is that clear by now?

When you call in the Re-arm ship it sends your loadout to the supply depot. You will get your proper ammuniton. Remember this is the year 330X where magic happens.

Lestat

Banned
DUDE! I don't want to use "only Lasers". Is that clear by now?
DUDE! you are going to have to deal with Farming for Mineral for Ammo so you can stay out in combat longer. You also have to Engineer your weapon so you have a larger ammo clip. This game is NOT EasySpace that handed you everything on a silver platter.

When you call in the Re-arm ship it sends your loadout to the supply depot. You will get your proper ammuniton. Remember this is the year 330X where magic happens.
Oh goodie an easy mode. I don't see Airplanes being Rearm in Midair ammo or Bombs or missiles. At the most, they are refuelled.

Why do I sence an atmosphere of dread and fear on this forum whenever someone dares to suggest something new or innovative? As if someone's going to format the Internet or something. Chill out people.

DUDE! you are going to have to deal with Farming for Mineral for Ammo so you can stay out in combat longer. You also have to Engineer your weapon so you have a larger ammo clip. This game is NOT EasySpace that handed you everything on a silver platter.

Oh goodie an easy mode. I don't see Airplanes being Rearm in Midair ammo or Bombs or missiles. At the most, they are refuelled.

Who says everything has to be hard in 330X? What are you a masochist? Ever hear of innovation and prosperity? Moving forward, inventing new things and God forbid, making life easier?

And besides, who are you to decide for us what this game is or isn't?

I give up. Mods delete this post. This place is hopeless.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Why do I sence an atmosphere of dread and fear on this forum whenever someone dares to suggest something new or innovative? As if someone's going to format the Internet or something. Chill out people.
Who says everything has to be hard in 330X? What are you a masochist? Ever hear of innovation and prosperity? Moving forward, inventing new things and God forbid, making life easier?

I give up. Mods delete this post. This place is hopeless.
It bad when I have 150 Refills on Small ammo and 75 refills on Large Ammo and I also have an extended clip. I can stay in combat for a long time. Mixing my Ammo Weapons with Lasers.

in Freespace, if you run out of ammo, you don't have to waste your time returning to base or have to manufacture your own, while floating around unarmed in space. You simply pressed the R key and an adorable little ship would wake out to you, dock with your fighter and fill you up with bullets. You could do this as many times as necessary to complete your mission.

This would further trivialize outfitting, logistical, and attrition considerations. It also would generally not make sense for your CMDR to have a supply tender at their beck and call.

Didn't realise that some of you fetuses didn't know the classics. I believe some of the X-Wing series games also had this feature. I agree that it wouldn't fit the open world simulator for freelance captain very well. Those other games were mission based space combat simulators. However, one could have it on the CZ as an event, as I previously suggested. A fleet tender appears and starts repairing, re-arming and refueling allied ships and you have to destroy/protect it.

One of the few scenarios it would make sense.

Refueling, like you said, can only be used to help a CMDR.

Well, unless you use the fuel limpet as a homing/targeting beacon.

Now wouldn't that be fun?

No.

Great idea.
We desperately need more limpet controllers.
Multicannon re-arm limpets
Railgun re-arm limpets
Fragcannon re-arm limpets
:LOL:

I'm 100% on board with solving the limpet controller bloat - I say as much in my own suggestion thread for the rearming concept. I don't think it would be necessary to have 'dedicated' limpet functions for each weapon type: they'd simply operate like an AFMU and use 'X' units to supply 'Y' amount of ammunition evenly distributed across weapons on the target ship, with the amount provided (and total limpets deployed) determined by size of controller as normal.

I'll say it again...please Frontier give us combined limpet controllers. Limpets as a concept work - it's the controller bloat that's so idiotic.

Freespace 2 had a lot of good things in it - definitely worth picking up next time it's on sale if you've never played it. It's not a lot like Elite Dangerous, but it's one of the best mission-based space combat games out there and still stands up pretty well today (the fan-made FS2Open will upgrade the graphics and engine if you want, and let you run it easily on modern hardware, though you'll still need to buy the original for some of the data files).

Even with the 3.3 improvements, FS2's missions are still far better than the Installation or CZ scenarios - mainly because FS2 has a much better distinction between small (ED SLF), medium (ED medium/large) and large (ED capship) ships than ED does, which lets it set up a much wider variety of fights and scenarios than just "big melee" ... and it's capital ships have a good amount of anti-fighter defences, as well, especially at Corvette or Destroyer class.

The ammunition resupply ship, though, I think solves a problem which isn't in Elite Dangerous - the main purpose of it was to re-arm a bomber between attack runs on capships, to allow a player mission to continue for a few waves (or one really big capship) without having to carry so much ammo that the NPC bombers would be too dangerous to friendly capships. If there was a proper anti-capital use for torpedoes (or we get AX torpedoes for the Thargoid CZs), that would probably be the time to bring in a resupply ship.

The confusion seems to have been a simple one: RearmING ship. In other words, a ship that rearms you. "ReARM" ship sounds like an action rather than a ship.

Goose4291

Banned
I've always thought you should be able to equip a rearm limpet that will replen one weapon fully with standard ammunition (ie not magic damage ammo) each time it interacts with a friendly ship. Perhaps a second module type now that could do AX weapons as well.

It would lead to proper 'Fleet Support' builds being able to refuel, repair and rearm squadron mates, meaning you could as a group stay on task longer.

I get the idea of NPC aid...but in a multi-player oriented game, I see that as kinda bogus.
Except technically, ED is not multiplayer oriented/focused in such a way as to make NPC interactions irrelevant. ED is first and foremost a PvE game with multiplayer and PvP as entirely optional aspects.

but you forget, modern airplanes go down from a single air-to-air missile, in Elite it takes at least 5 paper mache missiles to down anything. Elite's health pools increase all the time, damage to a lesser extent. But what that does is turn every battle into a grind feast to gather enough ammo just to see a combat zone mission to the end. And your argument to use lasers over ballistic weapons is indicative of how useless ammunition based weapons are becoming because of their limited lifespan. X2611 has a clever suggestion over the usual "boost my gun's DPS". So don't be a tool and lets give positive feedback or productive critique.

Top Bottom