Glowing Green Giants - The Definitive List

I think that journal entry only shows up for the first confirmation in the region though? Unless they've changed it. The planet data itself however doesn't include any indicator.

Also interesting is that the codex journal entry mentions the system name but not which body. I guess it would need to be correlated by which scan occurred immediately before it.

Last edited:
In the thread I've referenced, Marx said this:
Thankfully, Codex entries still get logged even if you've already scanned them in the region before. Or at least they certainly do for things scanned with the Comp. Scanner, but I'm not certain if the same would apply to green giants scanned with the FSS.

I have not verified this yet...

Well, there are a few regions with more than one GGG discovered in them. It may take a while (days, potentially 1-3 weeks), but I'll visit two in the same region in the near future, and then check the journal logs again. If I don't forget, that is.

GGG 18 has a landable moon fairly close to it with some good views, with some water geyser sites as well (although none were in good position to get a view at this point and the moon was in an unfavourable position, but should be better on Friday)

EDIT: Added better-lit picture.
Screenshot (JPEG GGG moon shot).jpg

Last edited:
I found this interesting gas giant a litlle while back. Whilst its general pattern is not rare, is the neon colours of the equator storms special enough to make this "Glowing Blue Giant" special?

Glowing Green Gas Giant #17 - Ummm...I think it is one...maybe. I'm currently parking right in front of it and I'll be damned...I can't see a single GGG-spot. I orbited the planet like 5 times from various directions and didn't see a single one but the description on the system map says it's there. Hmmmm. Here is small album. The NSP are in there too.
Byoomi XE-X d2-7844.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we all know that GGG14 at Byoomao JC-B d1-3681 is kind of special: it has not only small green glowing dots, but also small pink glowing dots.
iVROVi5.jpg

fvgVXEh.jpg

I haven't heard of pink giants since they were "fixed", except for this particular one. Now cmdr. Zer0axis appears to have found one more somewhere in Norma Arm region. Am I missing something, or this is actually something rare nowadays?

EliteDangerous64_2019-11-04_20-40-39.png

Well, we all know that GGG14 at Byoomao JC-B d1-3681 is kind of special: it has not only small green glowing dots, but also small pink glowing dots.
iVROVi5.jpg

fvgVXEh.jpg

I haven't heard of pink giants since they were "fixed", except for this particular one. Now cmdr. Zer0axis appears to have found one more somewhere in Norma Arm region. Am I missing something, or this is actually something rare nowadays?

EliteDangerous64_2019-11-04_20-40-39.png
As far as I know, the older REALLY PINK gas giants went away with either 3.0 or 3.3 ( can't remember specifically). I went to Cryaa Ain ZJ-R E4-4 and found (according to the CODEX) a GGG...to my surprise, there was only one dot of green and the rest was pink...
Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2019.09.22 - 16.09.11.36 (3).png

As far as I know, the older REALLY PINK gas giants went away with either 3.0 or 3.3
As far as I remember new lighting system, pink GG "fix" and Codex were in the same update.

to my surprise, there was only one dot of green and the rest was pink...
So there are at least three of them :)
Well, pink dots on GGG14 and the one discovered by cmdr. Zer0axis kind of resemble this coloring pattern just with wa-a-a-ay less pink.
20190305174300_1-jpg.126847
But still they look nice and appear to be not common. After all, before Frontiers integrated them to the Codex and added special string to the description, GGGs also were just ordinary gas giants with rare coloring :)

Last edited:
With the coloration, it looks like it would be near a Neutron Star...
Either this, or a very bright blue star.

UPD. Cmdr. Zer0axis found the address: Stranoa VY-S e3-516 body #AB 2. So it is a blue star. And it is, by the way, not very far from GGG19 and from the place where I am now.

Is the one from Cmdr. Zer0axis a new one that is currently not on the list?
No, it is not on the list, and I guess it's because unlike GGG14 and GGG19 this one doesn't have green spots and is not recognized by the Codex as GGG.

to my surprise, there was only one dot of green and the rest was pink...
At first I thought that pink coloration on GGG14 at Byoomao JC-B d1-3681 was some kind of bug in rendering of the green glowing layer. But then I spotted tiny green dots, so, I believe, pink and green are separate. By the way, it is rather strange that as many as two GGGs have not only green, but also pink glowing spots.

Still it would be interesting to find out whether a coloration with only pink dots is rare enough to be specially noted. I miss Pink Marshmallow and it is nice to think that pinks are not 100% dead ;)

Last edited:
It may be one...if you get there and scan the planet, check the description. If it has the term "This particular gas giant...", then according to the game, it is one of the Glowing Gas Giants.

So GMGs can still exist separately to GGGa? Interesting. I wonder if any of these surviving ones can have huge patches of purple on their surface like the notable old ones?

So GMGs can still exist separately to GGGa? Interesting. I wonder if any of these surviving ones can have huge patches of purple on their surface like the notable old ones?
If you mean these:
they're supposed to be gone. At least this particular one a dull one nowadays.

I've finally visited the newly discovered GMG 2.0 in Stranoa VY-S e3-516:)

And I can say, it looks rather spectacular.
3201VtG.jpg

And unlike GGG14 and GGG19 this planet is not a GGG: it has no green patches, the Codex doesn't read it this way and it's description is just a regular description of the III class GG.
4TQKA2i.jpg

I've also visited the mentioned GGG14 and GGG19 for comparison. The idea was to look at them on the system map, and to guess what was the probability of passing by a GG with pink glowing dots without being notified by the Codex.

I can confess that in the good old times when there were no special strings in the descriptions of GGGs and there were no Codex notifications I would have probably still noticed this one and GGG14 and would have definitely missed GGG19. Because on the system map it looks just like a typical II class GG.
Z1a7n2B.jpg

qk24J2O.jpg

So, what can I say in the end. We should pay more attention to studying the images on the system map and to looking at GGs through the FSS "telescope".

Despite the changed colors, the glowing dots can still be seen here:
sz2ip8h.jpg

And in the very end just a few pictures of me near the GGG14 and GGG19 :)
fvgVXEh.jpg

bu2KRXh.jpg

Last edited:
Bare with me folks, I used to be a casual explorer on Elite and recently fired up the Xbox to see if it was worth getting back into after a year on hiatus. I started chatting up in squadrons and discords and such and decided to share an old picture of a “neon gas giant”. Someone on Reddit sent me here. I’ve attached the pic (on mobile sorry).

I don’t have the system yet but soon I’ll start digging through my charts to see if I can find it. It’s likely along one of my Colonia runs. As far as I’ve seen this is the greenest one in this list, no? Hopefully it’s still this green even after a year’s worth of updates...

Attachments

• 99AFFA21-8067-472D-954D-2C01753E69E9.jpeg
    99AFFA21-8067-472D-954D-2C01753E69E9.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 241
Top Bottom