Glowing Green Giants - The Definitive List

Except you don't if you simply happen upon the system. In the light of douchebaggery, can someone tell me if I were to discover a GGG in a region that already had a GGG discovered, would the new GGG show up anywhere in the Codex ? If the answer is no, does someone have a handy list of regions that have had GGGs discovered as apparently I need to refine my search.
If would show up it were a different class of gas giant...

Like I wrote and you quoted, but apparently didn't understand, that's fine.

You weren't the one who discovered it though, and it's still unclear whether you claim to be the discoverer or not. You did imply it though, calling it "my GGG" twice. But we all know that the one who discovered it was CMDR Qube_Nico.
Well...until they make a way of differentiating it in the game or instant system tagging or instant data sales, the CODEX and systems tags will more than likely never match up. If you are getting wrapped around the axel over terminology, I'll go with this...in the system map, my commander tag in on the planet but not in the CODEX. Take it for what it worth and move on.

If you are claiming that you discovered something that you already knew was there because someone else found and uploaded it first (with the Codex, they don't have a choice), just because you sniped the tags from the discoverer... that's dishonest.

Since this has come up, I've put my name on GGG 16 despite not discovering it and I feel kinda bad for CMDR Adamned. Is there a way FDev could change a first discovered tag?

I think it's just a reality now, that the Codex provides a way of sniping discoveries, whether intentionally or accidentally. Kinda like seal-clubbing and other forms of ganking or griefing, if the game permits it and is free of in-game consequences, then a lot of that fault lies with the developer.

We may frown on discovery sniping, but the gameplay is intentionally designed in such a way as to create that possibility. So the race is on, until something changes with that design *.

EDIT: * For better or for worse.

Last edited:
"Heroic" is a bit too much really. :LOL: I'd rather call it "polite".

Still, you're right of course, whatever can be done, will be done. Even the stuff that is against the rules will usually be done by somebody. ;)

We may frown on discovery sniping, but the gameplay is intentionally designed in such a way as to create that possibility. So the race is on, until something changes with that design *.

I edited this to include a side-note, for better or for worse, since I didn't mean to imply that I'm OK with it. But rather, it's the reality we currently face.

Anyway, we've probably gone off topic a bit much here. ;)

Nah, I don't think the Codex was intentionally designed this way. Let's not forget that the majority of the things on it are either not taggable (NSPs, surface sites - although I guess the bodies the latter are on are taggable) or not rare (all the planet types). It's just that GGGs are both taggable and very rare. I don't think that the developers who put the thing together hastily realised this, and that there will be tag thieves looking for the fresh new discoveries of others.

Legal? Sure. Obnoxious? Sure. But if one would then go around saying that the discovery is theirs, as if they found it first, just because they managed to sell the data (with the intent of swiping the tags) before the discoverer could, then that would just make them an arrogant liar.
Which is still legal, of course.

Anyway, moving back more on topic: I was wrong, and you can't search EDSM for more than one green gas giant entry per region. I'm not sure if there's any public database where you can, although there is the ATEL-EDMC plugin's public database at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Elite-IGAU/publications/master/IGAU_Codex.csv. But GGGs are listed there are as "planetFeatures" as well. In the end, the journals don't really help a lot with finding these, if there's more than one in a region.
Looking at the map again, it looks like all the GGGs that were found in regions with more than one GGG known were found before Chapter Four and the Codex.

For fuchs sake...move on...get over it. It's a damn game, not a job or a way of life. Send your bitches, gripes and complaints to FDEV if you feel so strongly about it.

Checking in here, Marx commented in another thread about 18 known GGG. The main post in this thread only goes up to 10. Where came the other 8?

Where came the other 8?
Actually, 9 already. The answer is simple: the OP was last updated in april. Since then quite a lot has changed including almost doubling the number of known GGGs :) The most up to date map, made by cmdr. Babaa Yaga, shows 19 of them (well, 18 and one lost):

glowing-green-gas-giants-map-22-sep-2019-jpg.149737

Though, I should say, some of the newly discovered GGGs would have been missed in the days pre-Codex. I mean, like this particular one (it is GGG #17) :)
c3Q0m5i.jpg
And some others would have been noticed, but kind of separately, for they have more glowing pink than green. I mean GGGs #14 and #19 :)
fvgVXEh.jpg

bu2KRXh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the shout-out in this thread Shnyrik, I haven't checked this one out before. I'm probably going to go through the whole thing though there's some interesting stuff here!

Exploration in a Vulture?!?! Brave commander!! I would like to see the build on that one!!

Edit: As a side note, I surveyed a decent chunk of the region surrounding that HRGG and found about 170 HRGG's. If anyone heads out that way I didn't do as thorough of a job as I would have liked to so you may be able to find more out there!

Last edited:
Top Bottom