Glowing Green Giants - The Definitive List

Please correct me if wrong - Aren’t the phrases to look out for "this particular" and "luminous vapor"? I don’t recall any confirmed GGG using the phrase “some vivid colors” yet, but if so which one?
You're mixing things.
"some vivid colours" means regular GG, NOT a GGG.
"vivid colouration" instead is one of the GGG signs.

This one doesn't have "luminous vapour", but does have the other two...
eVmwQsB.png

Deleted member 38366

D
I'm searching as well... 3747 Gas Giants so far in my current Exploration campaign but nothing Green.
Alpha rare, so much is for sure ;)

People are constantly looking, even if they don't know it: anyone scanning gas giants is. Of course, it doesn't help that people are exploring less, but it's not like twice as many GGGs were found when the activity was double. (Or maybe there were, and we just couldn't notice? Hm...) In the end, it seems it's luck that matters.

Last edited:
I'm still doing my class L brown dwarf run, and I'm in month.. I dunno.. 10 or 11? I'm scanning every gas giant without fail, but no luck so far. Of course, none have been found in brown dwarf systems yet, so maybe they don't even exist there.

So yeah, I did some quick counts, to see how discoveries were distributed over time, and over new systems uploaded to EDSM. (You can find the data on the extended sheet.) Turns out we're overdue in days both by median and average, but there have been longer dry spells, even after the Codex.

In terms of days: we are at 91, longest post-Codex was 137, median 23, average 60. In terms of new systems: we are at three million, largest was 4.6 million, median 0.8 million, average 1.2 million - and assuming current trends continue, we should make a bit over 0.9 million per month.

So, if there are no new GGGs within two months, only then will it be a new record.

Last edited:
This one doesn't have "luminous vapour", but does have the other two...

It would probably be helpful to have this. Here are direct transcriptions of the descriptions of all types of discovered GGGs (none yet for CV and HRGG). Unless it matches one of the below descriptions it's not a GGG.

"Gas giants such as this one are primarily hydrogen and helium based, with life in the water-cloud layer just below the atmospheric surface. This particular gas giant exhibits vivid colouration due to the presence of free-floating radioplankton - carbon-based algae that extract energy from the planet's intense radiation flux."

"Gas giants such as this one are primarily hydrogen and helium based, with life just below the surface-cloud layer. This particular gas giant exhibits vivid colouration due to the presence of free-floating radioplankton - carbon-based algae that extract energy from the planet's intense radiation flux."

"Class I or Jovian gas giants have atmospheres comprised primarily of hydrogen and helium. They derive their colouration from clouds of ammonia, water vapour, hydrogen sulphide, phosphine and sulphur in the upper atmosphere. Tempereatures in the upper cloud layer are typically less than 150 K. This particular gas giant sustains free-floating radioplankton - carbon-based algae that extract energy from the planet's intense radiation flux."

"Class II gas giants have atmospheres comprised primarily of hydrogen and helium. Water vapour in the upper cloud layer gives the planet a much higher albedo, and temperatures on the surface are typically around 250 K. This particular gas giant sustains free-floating radioplankton - carbon-based algae that extract energy from the planet's intense radiation flux."

"Class III gas giants have atmospheres comprised primarily of hydrogen and helium. Temperatures on the surface typically range from 350 K and 800 K. Luminous vapour can be detected in the planet's upper atmosphere, suggesting a form of extremophile bioluminescent life."

Class IV gas giants have atmospheres comprised primarily of hydrogen and helium, with clouds of silicates and iron compounds. Temperatures in the upper cloud layer are typically above 900 K. Luminous vapour can be detected in the planet's upper atmosphere, suggesting a form of extremophile bioluminescent life."

"Gas giants such as this one are typically formed when a large, icy body gets significantly hotter, leading to the evaporation of much of the surface ice. This in turn triggers a runaway greenhouse effect, resulting in a thick atmosphere of water vapour. This particular gas giant exhibits vivid colouration due to the presence of free-floating radioplankton - carbon-based algae that extract energy from the planet's intense radiation flux."

There appears to be a new GGG - Syrive KR-W D1-144 in the Formorian Frontier. Although it was reported to the Codex a few months ago, it doesn't appear to have been mentioned anywhere on here.

Me too. I'm still deepened in my sector survey near Sag A*, searching for #29 (among other things) now... Looking forward to the first photos of the GGG #28 itself! :)
If the CMDR mentioned in the Codex entry is reading on here, he maybe could provide us some screenies ;) Congratulations to him for finding #28! 🎉

Maybe the new one will be the beginning of a new wave of discoveries (after this month-long drought)? We'll find out in the next few weeks/months... :)

I was able to get in contact with the discoverer who very kindly sent me the body data. Still no pictures from space, but from the system map, it looks very similar to the other glowing CIIs.
48GG0Q3.png

u0k1rku.png
I was there yesterday...I only took one picture...https://i.imgur.com/9cFc8ws.png

Top Bottom