Go stuff yourselves : I'm enjoying the game.

I have never asked too much out of Elite Dangerous. I bought a lifetime pass at the beta and I barely had a gaming PC at launch. I played anyway at 10fps.

I knew it would be a procedural generation collections of looping of short game loops from the get-go with rotating veneers.
Much like most sandbox games, and not unlike....well Elite 1 & 2.

I've played the old fashioned dungeon crawlers and it's like Wow you worked for 20 hours and leveled up, and all you got was a new model, an extra 1 in your stats but the game loops are still the same.
Yet people are infurariated when this effectively is what happens in ED, and I have to wonder if some of these people ever played games back in the 80's.

I've been trying to unlock some of the engineers, and one guy who opted to be my co-pilot was like "meh - engineers are pure grind". So what have you been doing since launch I asked. Bounty hunting in Rez sites....that's it.
For Two years????? yep.

It's no wonder people get upset if they just stick to one type of gameloop.

For some of these engineers unlocks, I've had to do bounty hunting, combat bond collections, mining, exploring and I'm having "fun". That's if you called Flying a heavily modified Adder ("Maxie Power") into conflict zones fun that is ;) Sure resting on a specific material/commodity drop can be infuriating.

Before that I was making a mint with passengers in my dolphin and my orca.

2 months Exploring before and of course trading and mining in the very begining.
And now I've decided to sign up to prismatic shield giving lady. It's my first power-play interaction.

I docked the other day, only to transfer over the weapons & kit I wanted to upgrade from the adjacent system.
During the time, I cashed in bounties, check up on powerplay progress, planned my next set of actions. (lavian brandy unlock, surplus bonds to "the general", meander back to imperial space to work on that powerplay and work parallel with gaining rank to get to a I-Clipper). Then my kit arrived. So it was then to the engineers workshop and throwing a few materials, leveling up neatly to level 5 in minutes (surplus materials :D).
I was having a tonne of fun, and I hadn't even left space-dock yet to fly.

During this time I check out E3, saw all the thargoid stuff, and think, cool, that's yet another avenue to play with later on.
And with the chained missions, an emphasis on story, that "co-op/singleplayer" experience people wanted to have, might be there in the future,
but I know the cannon people, who go to the outer depths of space to investigate these wayward places and are first to report back, *DO* have their singleplayer experience and are true pioneers.

I don't get people who grind like crazy for days on end to get that level20 veneer change, burn out, melt down on the forums, and "quit" the game.

Just play the game when you have time and desire to play, alter your career when you get bored.
The game isn't going anyway.
Don't stress the game. Take those breaks (seriously who plays the same gameloop day-in and day out for years on end) play other stuff if you like
Then come back to just relax in space (and yes I play in Open, just not all the time)

Last edited:
A cmdr after my own heart.

+1 totally agree, had the same thoughts and conversations around game-loops and varying activities many times with mixed success...

:)

I grilled up a couple fine rib eye steaks for dinner. Could have eaten a few more while I was at it. [yum] Mmm, so good.

Wait, what was this thread about again? Something something, "I'm enjoying the game."

Congratulations. I'm having a decent time out exploring myself.

I have never asked too much out of Elite Dangerous. I bought a lifetime pass at the beta and I barely had a gaming PC at launch. I played anyway at 10fps.

I knew it would be a procedural generation collections of looping of short game loops from the get-go with rotating veneers.

I've played the old fashioned dungeon crawlers and it's like Wow you worked for 20 hours and leveled up, and all you got was a new model, an extra 1 in your stats but the game loops are still the same.
Yet people are infurariated when this effectively is what happens in ED, and I have to wonder if some of these people ever played games back in the 80's.

I've been trying to unlock some of the engineers, and one guy who opted to be my co-pilot was like "meh - engineers are pure grind". So what have you been doing since launch I asked. Bounty hunting in Rez sites....that's it.
For Two years????? yep.

For some of these engineers unlocks, I've had to do bounty hunting, combat bond collections, mining, exploring and I'm having "fun". That's if you called Flying a heavily modified Adder ("Maxie Power") into conflict zones fun that is ;) Sure resting on a specific material/commodity drop can be infuriating.

2 months Exploring before and of course trading and mining in the very begining.
And now I've decided to sign up to prismatic shield giving lady. It's my first power-play interaction.

I docked the other day, only to transfer over the weapons & kit I wanted to upgrade from the adjacent system.
During the time, I cashed in bounties, check up on powerplay progress, planned my next set of actions. (lavian brandy unlock, surplus bonds to "the general", meander back to imperial space to work on that powerplay and work parallel with gaining rank to get to a I-Clipper). Then my kit arrived. So it was then to the engineers workshop and throwing a few materials, leveling up neatly to level 5 in minutes (surplus materials :D).

During this time I check out E3, saw all the thargoid stuff, and think, cool, that's yet another avenue to play with later on.
And with the chained missions, an emphasis on story, that "co-op/singleplayer" experience people wanted to have, might be there in the future,
but I know the cannon people, who go to the outer depths of space to investigate these wayward places and are first to report back, *DO* have their singleplayer experience and are true pioneers.

I don't get people who grind like crazy for days on end to get that level20 veneer change, burn out, melt down on the forums, and "quit" the game.

Just play the game when you have time and desire to play, alter your career when you get bored.
Don't stress the game. Take those breaks (seriously who plays the same gameloop day-in and day out for years on end) play other stuff if you like
Then come back to just relax in space (and yes I play in Open, just not all the time)

Well said, Sir, well said.

The trick is to grind like crazy for days on end to get that level 20 veneer change (well worth it), then win - thereby causing the other parties to burn out, melt down on the forums, and "quit" the game instead.

For Two years????? yep.

Anyone flying a heavily modified Adder gets a +1 (or is it 4?) from me.

The rest of what you wrote, made sense to. :)

I grilled up a couple fine rib eye steaks for dinner. Could have eaten a few more while I was at it. [yum] Mmm, so good.

Wait, what was this thread about again? Something something, "I'm enjoying the game."

Congratulations. I'm having a decent time out exploring myself.

Can you throw some of those rib eye's my way?

Oh yeah, I am enjoying the game. Nope, I am loving the game, again!

CMIV

Having a good time too. With all facets of the game.
Somebody want to come on here now, tell me all their issues and complaints, then tell me how I am stupid for enjoying ED?
Its almost obligatory here isn't it?

Pretty much the way I try to play. Did some trading, then some mining, then some more trading, then some Imperial ranking missions, then some trading, then some engineering, then some trading (hmmm, I wonder if I'm a trader at heart), and now some exploring.

I'll try something, and when I get bored, I'll try something else (trading seems to be my default). I am struggling a bit at the moment with exploring, as, after 6 months and nearly 200,000 LYs, I am running out of steam, and my "something else" options are rather limited until I get back to the bubble. Still, when I finally get back to the burning remains of the bubble, post-Thargoid war, I will proclaim myself Emporer Maythan the First and Last, and try some abuses of power :cool:

Like the OP I have never asked too much out of Elite Dangerous, but been happy mostly with each new major patch, I get to play the game the way I want too and unlike many other games I have a many differing paths that I can choose or un-choose. I am though looking forward to FD spending some time developing some of the game mechanics too have more depth and dare I say complexity... That said the only thing that has had me dropping off playing this last week or so is a baking hot PC, if I do more than play spider solitaire, even with its very very big fan... British Summer are not suppose to be like this, are they :p

The trick is to grind like crazy for days on end to get that level 20 veneer change (well worth it), then win - thereby causing the other parties to burn out, melt down on the forums, and "quit" the game instead.

You can only 'Win' against someone who has grinded like crazy. I highly doubt that OP would get terribly upset if you killed his Adder.

Not that it would happen. If you play like OP you develop awareness. He would probably get away easily. :p

Even though I'm no longer playing the game much at all, I gotta rep this post. I don't hate Elite (just disappointed with the lack of Exploration love, hopefully the future updates will address this somewhat and I'll be back), what it does well it does VERY well. Just not quite the game for me, hence I've (hopefully temporarily) gone.

(although I am feeling the stirrings (ooh er) to return)

I agree.

Mining is my fav thing to do in Elite, but I do mix that with missions, cargo hauling and Community Goals. Oh... and rare trading is fun as well. I'm not going down the route of maxing things out as fast as I possibly can. I do it when I see that I have the materials needed for an engineering upgrade.

I have 4 accounts in the game, and all of them have reached Anaconda level, but that doesn't put me into a position where I start to get bored with the game.

Are there things that needs improvements? Sure. And after 2.4, it is going to be fun to see what additions to core gameplay mechanics FD plans to put in, but the game, as it is currently, is something I do enjoy.

Or simmering with uncontrollable fury and raging on the forum at the thought of the majority of players being happily immune to that approach thanks to the excellent mode system.

Or simmering with uncontrollable fury and raging on the forum at the thought of the majority of players being happily immune to that approach thanks to the excellent mode system.

...or sitting back with a cold one when people start auto-dispensing salt at the first inference of PvP - even in humour.

Honestly, you don't even need to try any more. Just make a joke about player combat and people start acting like a panicked cat backed into a corner :)

Top Bottom