Good dedicated tritium mining build?

I've heard Colonia having supply issues with Tritium, but never been there.

I own an FC, you can mine Platinum or even LTDs from few places within the bubble very, very fast, and sell it for 250k-300k per ton, that's 5x-6x times the average of Tritium.
I was thinking on doing the same thing, but just some basic math told me otherwise. I can mine 512 tons of Platinum in less than 1hr with the Cutter, then sell it for 270k or more, and with the profits to buy like 2.6k tons of Tritium.

Now, if I were to be mining say Void Opals or LTDs and I stumble upon Tritium I would probably pick it up, but really is just not worth it.

You can't run three mining lasers on a Python with a 7E power distributor. You can only run 3 with a 7A one engineered for weapons focused or charge enhanced level 5.

While out exploring I use a shieldless Cutter with a 7A charge enhanced Distro (3x C2 lasers) & 15 collectors, 512t capacity. I've never filled it, I just don't have the patience :)

When I get back to the bubble I'm thinking about building a Conda or Corvette with an 8A weapons focused Distro. How many mining lasers do you reckon I'll be able to use effectively?

You can't run three mining lasers on a Python with a 7E power distributor. You can only run 3 with a 7A one engineered for weapons focused or charge enhanced level 5.

That is also very true. I mine with a Cutter with a G5 power dist and running 3 lasers drains the dist (4 pips on weapons) faster than depleting the asteroid, so I don't see a point on using more than 2, besides, even with 12 collector limpets you still have to wait.

so I don't see a point on using more than 2, besides, even with 12 collector limpets you still have to wait.

positioning, positioning, positioning.
With good positioning (and a ship with front cargo hatch), 3 mining lasers might be not fast enough to keep busy 9 collectors

I'm using the Cutter as my main mining vessel. Recently purchased a carrier and did a "practice round" for exploration. I know there are sites where I can simply link a build but I couldn't find it/ figure out how it works. It's actually not complicated.
2 2D lasers on the wings
3 2B Sub surface
1 Abrasion blaster
1 Seismic (exploding cores never get old for me, even if trit doesn't come in cores, I'll pick up the opals if I stumble over them)
I only engineered my FSD. In case a icy ring is not closeby
2 8E cargo's
3 5A collectors
1 5A prospector
1 4E refinery
And a 6A shield generator (just to make me survive a bump into an asteroid which has set course directly to my ship).
And OC the PWA and Surface scanner.

I find this to be the most efficient build to harvest tritium. I'll be off for more exploration when I have 10k tritium in reserve. I'll bring FSD booster and fuel scoop with me in case I need to jump further and I'll bring equipment to make my main exploration ship mining capable in case of emergency.

One paralell op topic question; do docked ships count for tritium usage on carrier jumps? I know cargo does but I can't find this for ships.

Good point - to be honest I forgot to edit the core internals, I was looking at the optional / hardpoints. The ship I have earmarked for this build has a 7A distributor already installed and I can engineer it no problem.

Last edited:
Well, I made a general miner for my alt out of Type-10 and was surprised by its ability to keep pace with a spinning asteroid.

I'll copy that design for my main once I find my way back to the Bubble. The current Type-7 tritium miner isn't cutting it. I can stand the 3 small lasers, but the small sub-surface just doesn't have the ammo.

Mine platinum, sell platinum, set a BUY order on FC for tritium at 100k.

In this case people can easily set buy orders up to 180-200k per ton, and still make a profit - both in terms of credits and time used on mining (platinum can be mined damn fast in the right conditions)

In this case people can easily set buy orders up to 180-200k per ton, and still make a profit - both in terms of credits and time used on mining (platinum can be mined damn fast in the right conditions)
So you think 100k is too low to pay the miner, and they should get 180k... OK...

Last edited:
positioning, positioning, positioning.
With good positioning (and a ship with front cargo hatch), 3 mining lasers might be not fast enough to keep busy 9 collectors

what is the trick?
this is what I do:
- Locate rotation of the rock, so I'm facing the "axle" (i.e. is spinning in front on me, not coming towards or away from me) and close to the edge, so the fragments are jettisoned outwards.

after this, there's a period of time where I can't move much until rock is depleted. Then I move my ship towards the fragments, hover above them, that speeds things up.

Any other tips?

Make sure you position so close to almost touch the asteroid and the fragments go below you, not above
The closer you are to the asteroid, the shorter the path collectors have to fly

Because of that, the Python makes a very fast miner since its cargo hatch is very front mounted.
The Conda build i posted also makes use of the front cargo hatch (conda has 2 cargo hatches, usually the one in the back is used, which increases a lot the collector path)

Make sure you position so close to almost touch the asteroid and the fragments go below you, not above
The closer you are to the asteroid, the shorter the path collectors have to fly

Because of that, the Python makes a very fast miner since its cargo hatch is very front mounted.
The Conda build i posted also makes use of the front cargo hatch (conda has 2 cargo hatches, usually the one in the back is used, which increases a lot the collector path)

Got it.

Yes, my best miner is the Python, always ready to go particularly core miner, nothing comes close, lots of cargo, nimble, 5 hardpoints.

Back to the OP, unless you REALLY HAVE TO mine Tritium, almost any other money-making activity is better and they just buy it.

This is my Mining Cutter. There are many like it, but this one is mine...
  • A Weapon Focused, Super Conduit Power Distributor can handle 4 mining lasers long enough to drain a 'roid.
  • I Use a 5A prospector and a 3A Collector (along with a bunch of 5A Collectors). I find the extra prospector speeds things along more than the extra collector would, but its easy enough to swap to a 3A prospector and another 5a Collector.
From an efficiency perspective, mining platinum and buying Tritium is absolutely the way to go.

Top Bottom