Got ED, got a Rift... happy me! :)

I run ED on a NVIDIA 960M (quad i7-6700 2.6, 16GM RAM). I believe the gfx card is just shy of general VR gaming but heard it may still run Elite. Anyone have a similar rig and run VR?

Let me hook into that anthem. VR is awesome and ED in VR is absolutly incredible. I took a long break from the game and just came back to test my CV1 and it was, no it is an endless wow moment. Repetitive game play? I don't ^#¥#*@;@ care, I AM flying a space ship. Looking into hundreds of USS to grind mats? I don't ^#¥#*@;@ care, I AM flying a space ship. Exploring is boring. You already know what comes now. I don't ^#¥#*@;@ care, I AM flying a space ship. ED on my rift is not a game. It's an experience and it is one of the best out there.

Yeah, luckily I bought a VRCover for my DK2 before they stopped making them. It certainly helps but perhaps the weight of the DK2 isn't doing me any favours.

The thing about the DK2 is it's front heavy so it keeps slipping down people's faces. I was contemplating a counterbalance on the back of mine before I got my CV1.

I wonder why VRcover stopped selling stuff for the DK2. I guess not economically viable <shrug>

VR was a game changer for me with ED. I think I may have drifted away from the game with over 1800 hrs of 2D gaming but now I reckon I'll be doing this for EVER!

Seriously VR takes ED from being just a game you play until you're done to a delightful past time.

Big thanks everyone for the replies and the welcomes back!

Re: picking the rift... my decsion was mainly price... £399 for what was basically same as vive + reviews of seat based games like ED, flight sims and racing sims seemed to put rift on top.

Not been disappointed with room scale bits and pieces I've tried on rift since I got it... but basically am hooked on ED now so can only really comment on that and for ED rift rocks... no problems with menus and everything looks awesome :)

Did consider the wait for higher def... but my thinking was I wont be able to afford gen 1 of 4k or 8k when they come out, there will no doubt be teething troubles and whilst I was sure my rig would handle a current gen rift... I figured it would struggle with something beefier.

So I figure £399 now for 2 or 3 years of VR splendidness... then be time for an upgrade of both goggles and the PC (have nursed this one for 8 years). By that time probably be a new gen of graphics cards... and who knows crypto coins might have imploded by then and we wont have to worry about all the graphics cards being bought by the miners... so they might even be cheaper than this gens :)

I run ED on a NVIDIA 960M (quad i7-6700 2.6, 16GM RAM). I believe the gfx card is just shy of general VR gaming but heard it may still run Elite. Anyone have a similar rig and run VR?

My laptop is similar but with an 860m. It has no hope of running VR. 960m would probably be better, but in all honesty you'd be better off building a desktop for it. Then you can upgrade parts as needed.

I have the CV-1 and it's really good.
The controllers work well and are fairly intuitive.
There are several free games and any demos that are all quite incredible.
As to using ED with it, it just looks epic in scale. If I had a way of controlling the map views, it'd be perfect.
Having read some other posts here ought have another go at setting up keys to control the maps and I'd be happy to use VR for ED all the time.
Like some other players, I can't cope with driving the SRV as it makes me feel rather unwell.
Oh well, can always use 2D for that. It quite easy to switch modes mid-game.

Welcome to the VR club.

Subnautica I found to be much more impressive for show casing VR. Elite is a bit mediocre in comparisson :)
ED would benefit far more with increased resolution. Sub is more "in your face" experience. And it can be quite frightening

Last edited:
Bought a Rift for ED after already playing the game for 300hrs.

Wasnt that impressed tbh. Its great for dog fighting but for extended play sessions i found id no interest in wearing it. Sumpersampling and pixel density increases are essential to stop it being so blurry but even then its just not as sharp as id like.

Im playing on a 1440p monitor at 100Hz though so the rift does have decent competition for my time in elite.

I love what VR brings to ED (and Project Cars 2 and ETS2, my other VR loves). For me it's the difference between viewing the gameworld through a window and actually being in the game world. The addition of a real sense of scale that VR brings cannot be underestimated.

2D is still best when using the camera suite and getting screenshots and the problems with the galaxy map are well known, but VR is unbeatable for that sense of being there in your ship.

I'm definitely a convert and when resolutions increase and foveated rendering becomes the norm, 2D is going to seem very weak in comparison.

Where VR is still lacking is that a glove controller needs to become the norm and someone needs to find a good way of making walking/running practical. In the meantime, for cockpit games, VR is just a whole different level from 2D gaming.

Last edited:
I agree my Rift makes ED phenomenal. The difference is as large as watching a Star Wars film and being in the film (one imagines). My only issue is comfort. I have the most recent Rift and after about an hour it just gets uncomfortable on the face. I have read fitting g guides and am wearing it low at the back as intended. Any other tips. I'd never play ED any other way if it was more comfortable.

+1 for the Rift, although I think the Vive would likely be just as amazing.

I looove the holograms. The Supercriuise countdown hovers just in front of your face. You can lean forward, pivot back and forth, and it hovers there, just like you expect a hologram to. Look to the side, and the large menu hologram just pops into existence automatically. Awesome.

Then take a look around your cockpit. If you have real human multicrew, you can look behind you and see their holo-me sitting in a cockpit chair.

Use all your glass in a dogfight. Land an ASP or T-6,7,9, 10 whatever by looking down through the glass past your knees.

Subnautica I found to be much more impressive for show casing VR. Elite is a bit mediocre in comparisson :)
ED would benefit far more with increased resolution. Sub is more "in your face" experience. And it can be quite frightening

If Subnautica worked fully with my Vive wands, I would agree. It looks fantastic, but having to use keyboard and mouse or worse, a game pad, just doesn’t do it for me.

Top Bottom