Got ED, got a Rift... happy me! :)

Guess this thread has a couple of points.

1st is to say if you haven't got VR and have the resources to get it... then ED in Rift is mind blowing... am I first to make this point ;)

2nd is to give some positive feedback to the devs from the perspective of a returning customer... not trying to undermine any of the "what are fdev thinking" feedback .... as subtle as it is my 1E unengineered feedback scanner has picked up the hint that there is some frustration from the long term player base... but still been back about 4 weeks and am like a kid in a candy shop with a massive grin on my face thinking about flying my spaceship :) :)

So point 1 is just rift is epic, heard resolution wasnt great... I think its fine, mates and family who've tried it also love it... the touch controllers and tracking (you dont need them for ED) are also great. So my recommendation is if you can... get it!

Kit wise I put a gtx1070 in an old rig with an old i5 oc'd to 4ghz and it works really well (oculus says processor cant run it ... but it doesnt check overclocking... so is a nonsense error message... everything I've tried runs super smooth including ED). Had to put a usb 3 card in it for the rift went with: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-KT...ding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_ta_yo_pop_ta_pd_t2
Also got a wireless numpad and double sided sticky taped it to my chair arm rest... makes moving round in galaxy map a doddle in VR (nightmare without it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Numeric-Wi...ding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_ta_yo_pop_ta_pd_t2
Finally I already had a Thrustmaster hotas x from when I first played ED in the beta... what a great piece of kit at a decent price! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Joystick-PS3/dp/B001CXYMFS
Final bit of jigsaw was voiceattack + hcs voice pack verity so I could talk to my ship :)... fyi the rift has a built in mic

So that was set up and the rift alone has TOTALLY changed the game. It really does feel like I'm putting my space helmet on an flying off to other worlds... and here is the first bit of praise for fdev... what a great job you have done on the VR integration! Only hiccup was galaxy map and have pretty much got round that with a wireless num pad that I can use to navigate by touch whilst rift is on. The system map looks beautiful and makes me want to explore... and I'm not even the exploring type.

Now onto how the game has changed since I last played... which was back when the Vulture first released.

Back then I did kinda run out of things to do. :(

Was still blown away by the vision and delivery of a 1:1 galaxy that didn't dumb things down... still am!

I also loved the flight model and the way they had made dog fighting in space work.

For me that is the right mix... get the wider environment you play in as realistic as you can with only the playability tweaks neccesary to make it work (frameshift drive etc...) making exploring and getting a long way an effort that gives you some appreciation of the scale of whats out there is done so perfectly in ED... I had to write something to say thanks! :)

Then putting really good game mechanics into that universe was also what was needed... the dog fighting was epic... the other stuff to do less so ... so in end I left to play other things.

Now am back what do I think? Firstly when I got back in my Vulture for some pew pew it felt much harder... a lot of this was me getting my sea legs back... but guess what I had 3.9 lots of rebuy credits... blew 3 rebuys thinking I was han solo with .9 left I thought I'd take some easy bounties... shot security by accident... heart sank... black screen... OMG...OMG... realised I could get a loan... huge sigh of relief... downgraded to a cobra... learned to fly and fight again.... back in a vulture after a couple of weeks kicking pve butt :) the big help here is credits for bounty hunting (as a returning player) feel good... and ability to get a loan as a last, last life is much apppreciated.

Then on to what else is in game... planetry landings, are fantastic... did Davs hope this week .... and really the atmospherics, sound, visuals were all mind blowing... really felt like I was out in cosmos. Last night went to planer 1A in same system to do some surface prospecting.... and again it was an awe inspiring experience... landing in a crater with a huge sun burning angrily above you... felt totally of another world... but incredibly believable to achieve this my hat goes off to you. Was then chased off by a bunch of skimmers I totally wasn't expecting... dont know what they were protecting but as I havent got a clue yyet on SRV I got the hell out of dodge.... and again I want to feedback that the balance of calm, epic grandeur and bursts of action are really well done.

Am also just trying to get into exploring.... I can't believe I am saying this... as I wouldn't have thought it was my thing... but rift + planetary landings + better planet graphics means I want to give it a go. Going with a cheap DBX build with a xeno scanner and an SRV hanger as want to snap some goid pics and lay some fresh tracks on unexplored planets.

Finally am loving the way the story has evolved.... kept in touch with it occasionally whilst I was away from the game... now having a great time on my work commutes reading old posts and getting up to speed.

Massive thanks to all the forum people for all the detail and immersion!

Re pace, passion for the genre and intelligence I would liken ED to the new Blade runner movie. When I watched that I was blown away... and then when I went to the reviews I almost couldn't believe the negatives with people complaining about the length and not enough action... for me there was action... but there was also granduer and vista and vision. ED is just like this... and I wanted to say how much I appreciate it.

On to the core of what I can see from the negative comments on the forums and reddit...

On credits... I may well change my mind ... have only been back 4 weeks... but it seems fine at my level of progression in game... am not interested in just seeing the numbers dial round.... or jumping straight to a mega ship like an Annaconda. I am ok that my explorer will be a cheap one.. a dbx with B rated fuel scoop... when I get back i'll have something to buy with my hard earned explorer credits.

On the missions... I agree some more joined up linked missions would be good.... + a little bit more "you're the hero" would be nice... not on the main story line.... but some procedural generated side stories where you are central to something going on in a system occasionally... that would add a lot imho to the improvements of the game element.

On flight model... I kind of agree with the comments about not losing the getting on a bandits 6 and being difficult to shake off part...

This is something epic... please dont lose this with super fast to flip round ships... ww2 fighter piloting in space in 3300s is such a brilliant mechanic and sooo much fun... please dont lose this!

Phew... that's probably enough rambling.... so just big, big thanks to FDev for an epic reentry to the game!

Last edited:
Yeah, I really want to try ED in VR. But I guess I'll need to upgrade my rig first, it's bound for face lift anyway.
After that? Yup, I think I'll get a VR headset :)

Which one you guys are using? Both OR? Which kit is worth considering?

ED in VR ... ive done over 2000hrs in my rift in ED alone... yup its alright ( extreme understatement ). But honestly its impossible to explain to someone whats actually like.

Seeing IS believing!!

on the other hand.. unless you have the ££ to splash out on VR after youve tried it - my advice is DONT TRY IT!!

Yeah, I really want to try ED in VR. But I guess I'll need to upgrade my rig first, it's bound for face lift anyway.
After that? Yup, I think I'll get a VR headset :)

Which one you guys are using? Both OR? Which kit is worth considering?

I have a Vive. Slightly less comfortable without Deluxe straps, slightly more screen-door effect, but slightly better field of view. It's tradeoffs - they are largely comparable, although it's also more expensive.

Got ED, got a Rift... happy me! :)

1st is to say if you haven't got VR and have the resources to get it... then ED in Rift is mind blowing... am I first to make this point ;)

Congrats!

Elite is my favorite Rift game :)

Last weekend I hopped through my twenty ship's cockpits, stood up and walked around, and tried out the different interior views - very cool, especially the new Chieftain!

Just wish I could walk through the rest of my ship's interior ;-)

Yep, ED in VR is just amazing. Now I am just waiting for the Pimax 8K and the need to upgrade my GPU, CPU, motherboard, Ram etc.

I can't get bored of it. Even just cruising in supercruise feels great.

Last edited:
Yep, ED in VR is just amazing. Now I am just waiting for the Pimax 8K and the need to upgrade my GPU, CPU, motherboard, Ram etc.

I can't get bored of it. Even just cruising in supercruise feels great.

Did you KS it, or just waiting for official distribution to launch?

I'll keep my fingers crossed then, would you mind sharing your experience with this hardware?
Sounds like something worthy considering when I'll be building my VR-ready station, I would greatly appreciate your feedback on it :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed then, would you mind sharing your experience with this hardware?
Sounds like something worthy considering when I'll be building my VR-ready station, I would greatly appreciate your feedback on it :)

Will do. When it arrives I will do a write up of it in the VR section of the forums.

I gave away my Rift DK1 to help someone out but still well remember bearing near outposts - they had size, scale and for want of a better term, a sense of reality. Passing by planets supercruise - marvellous. Involuntarily ducking my head when leaving a Coriolis, yep I did that too.

My laptop's graphics card (NVidia 780M) almost certainly won't cope with a CV1 but if it did then I would buy one tomorrow - Elite truly is a wondrous thing in VR. :)

I was seriously thinking of getting a Rift seeing as they are £399 and in stock at my local Argos :rolleyes:

I've finally grinded enough £££ since my boss has un-nerfed my wages, but scared if I spend it on a Rift then something will cause a rebuy on my car :D

I gave away my Rift DK1 to help someone out but still well remember bearing near outposts - they had size, scale and for want of a better term, a sense of reality. Passing by planets supercruise - marvellous. Involuntarily ducking my head when leaving a Coriolis, yep I did that too.

I played my couple of years on a big screen rather than in VR. While I did some exploring (actually, a lot of exploring), I didn't often get distracted by how things look. In VR, if I spot a sunrise or sunset, I may well sit there for a few minutes just to watch. I can spend ages just driving or flying around places such as the guardian ruins, simply for the sights. Driving around planets in darkness takes on a whole new level, too.

In short, VR is a game changer, and once you've experienced it properly, you won't want to go back.

Top Bottom