Got my first Cyclops solo :)

I've created this Phantom AX build [edited] which mirrors my Krait mk2 build, it only loses ~200 armour to my mk2, but the loss of the 2nd cls 6 slot is harsher to the SCB total charge, ~1100 MJs vs ~1800 MJs. Oh, it also loses ~80HP for the smaller MRP (~1/3 lower). Boost speed is 45 m/s faster & max throttle speed 26 faster.

Would be interesting to try to see if the higher speed can make up for the loss in shld recharge & lower HPs!
Anyone else in addition to the op already tried it?

Last edited:
I've created this Phantom AX build which mirrors my Krait mk2 build, it only loses ~200 armour to my mk2, but the loss of the 2nd cls 6 slot is harsher to the SCB total charge, ~1100 MJs vs ~1800 MJs. Oh, it also loses ~80HP for the smaller MRP (~1/3 lower). Boost speed is 45 m/s faster & max throttle speed 26 faster.

Would be interesting to try to see if the higher speed can make up for the loss in shld recharge & lower HPs!
Use "Fast Charge" experimental on your bi-weaves, less boosters and swap out the SCB for another HRP. Medium AX ships are built for faster recharging shields, the big ones are the ones that rely on thick shields and SCB's.
Also ditch the decon limpets, you won't need them when fighting Interceptors, just fly away from the missiles until they self-destruct.

I had meant to put fast charge on the Phantom, that was an error of selection, my mk2 has fast charge. I've altered the Phantom to match now.

Re less boosters & swap the SCB for an HRP, sorry but I totally disagree with you there, I've used this build (the mk2) quite a bit now in fighting interceptors & it works quite well, if I were to reduce shield strength, & worse ditched the SCB, the shields would fail very quickly, especially in AX CZ where your often being shot by multiple ships. The extra HP provided by a 5D HRP (& worse I've just discovered their is no 6D!) doesn't make up for the loss in shlds, nor does it stop damage to modules, putting a higher demand on the MRP.

Also ditching the decon limpets is a bad idea! Have you fought in an AX CZ? Even IF you manage to avoid the interceptors missiles theirs also the missiles from nearby scouts, not to mention the scouts you have to fight in the early stages of entering an AX CZ, so chances are you will get hit by a few missiles. Oh, & I do boost away from missiles when I get enough warning. Btw overheating to get rid of caustic damage simply does too much module damage for more than 1 or 2 occasions.
All the above is assuming that you don't synth HSs, I don't want to waste time gathering mat's for that, so I only use HSs for recharging shields.

I had meant to put fast charge on the Phantom, that was an error of selection, my mk2 has fast charge. I've altered the Phantom to match now.

Re less boosters & swap the SCB for an HRP, sorry but I totally disagree with you there, I've used this build (the mk2) quite a bit now in fighting interceptors & it works quite well, if I were to reduce shield strength, & worse ditched the SCB, the shields would fail very quickly, especially in AX CZ where your often being shot by multiple ships. The extra HP provided by a 5D HRP (& worse I've just discovered their is no 6D!) doesn't make up for the loss in shlds, nor does it stop damage to modules, putting a higher demand on the MRP.

Also ditching the decon limpets is a bad idea! Have you fought in an AX CZ? Even IF you manage to avoid the interceptors missiles theirs also the missiles from nearby scouts, not to mention the scouts you have to fight in the early stages of entering an AX CZ, so chances are you will get hit by a few missiles. Oh, & I do boost away from missiles when I get enough warning. Btw overheating to get rid of caustic damage simply does too much module damage for more than 1 or 2 occasions.
All the above is assuming that you don't synth HSs, I don't want to waste time gathering mat's for that, so I only use HSs for recharging shields.
Well the key is to avoid damage overall, I'm also still in the process of learning. But have you tried fighting basilisks yet?
And yeah AX CZ's require different builds than NHSS's.

I've created this Phantom AX build which mirrors my Krait mk2 build, it only loses ~200 armour to my mk2, but the loss of the 2nd cls 6 slot is harsher to the SCB total charge, ~1100 MJs vs ~1800 MJs. Oh, it also loses ~80HP for the smaller MRP (~1/3 lower). Boost speed is 45 m/s faster & max throttle speed 26 faster.

Very similar to mine, only major difference is the SCB and no flak cannons.

I have decon limpets in my build, but I seem to only use them for scouts and CZs. The cyclops usually only fires one per engagement so I never seem to use them against cyclops. Interesting thoughts on SCBs, I dont use them in cyclops fights. I usually boost away until the shields recharge, but I can see where theyd be useful in CZs. I've also had the cyclops go into berserk mode while I wait for the shields to recharge when I didn't realize a heart was exposed. I suppose having an SCB would reduce the chances of that happening.

Nice build, I'm gonna have to try a Phantom at some point, how do you find the weapon convergence?
Speed makes a big difference vs basilisk especially, although Krait II/FDL/Chieftain are all fast enough to be viable.

My thoughts (not that you asked but it's always useful to share ideas)
  • I find a scanner really useful both solo'ing and in CZs, swarm/heart numbers (and just seeing the heart sometimes) and knowing whether a scout needs the full whack or a tap, do you miss it in CZs?
  • SCB's, I think that's good for emergencies and more raw HP than an HRP. Personally use the guardian shield boosters, a class 5 gives a permanent 200+ shield
  • I like to have a neutraliser in CZs, I assume boosting and FA-off does you fine with the Phantom? My Krait's been caught a few times.
  • Like Rumrunner I only need decon limits in CZs, I use repair in solo when I carry them
  • How do you find no AFMU?
  • I like having a flak, my impression is that reducing swarm sizes really help ally survival rates? and essential vs interceptors

Last edited:
Well the key is to avoid damage overall, I'm also still in the process of learning. But have you tried fighting basilisks yet?
And yeah AX CZ's require different builds than NHSS's.
Yea I've read about the tactic of orbiting the interceptors with FA off (as well as spamming Heatsinks), but that sounds really tricky, as trying to stay steady in FA off is tricky, although I'm told if I adjust my joysticks acceleration curves it makes it much easier, not yet done that. Apparently it's also much easier with a mouse & keybrd, but I'm not ditching Hotas for that!
I've only fought Basilisks in a wing, I can't fight them solo as I don't want to synth HSs & because of the aforementioned JS accel curves it's hard to shoot the swarm when kitting them (though I did occasionally), and because I so rarely did I finally ditched the flak cannon the other week. I generally prefer to fight in a wing in an AX CZ so it doesn't limit me too much :).
If I go to NHSSs I stick to NHSS threat 5 or lower.

Very similar to mine, only major difference is the SCB and no flak cannons.
I have decon limpets in my build, but I seem to only use them for scouts and CZs. The cyclops usually only fires one per engagement so I never seem to use them against cyclops. Interesting thoughts on SCBs, I dont use them in cyclops fights. I usually boost away until the shields recharge, but I can see where theyd be useful in CZs. I've also had the cyclops go into berserk mode while I wait for the shields to recharge when I didn't realize a heart was exposed. I suppose having an SCB would reduce the chances of that happening.
Yea most of my decon limpets get used due to the scout's missiles.

Sgurr
Ah, when I said I created a phantom build I was referring to Coriolis only ;), I only actually have a mk2 Krait AX build.
I'll reply more later, gtg to work!

Yea I've read about the tactic of orbiting the interceptors with FA off (as well as spamming Heatsinks), but that sounds really tricky, as trying to stay steady in FA off is tricky, although I'm told if I adjust my joysticks acceleration curves it makes it much easier, not yet done that. Apparently it's also much easier with a mouse & keybrd, but I'm not ditching Hotas for that!
I've only fought Basilisks in a wing, I can't fight them solo as I don't want to synth HSs & because of the aforementioned JS accel curves it's hard to shoot the swarm when kitting them (though I did occasionally), and because I so rarely did I finally ditched the flak cannon the other week. I generally prefer to fight in a wing in an AX CZ so it doesn't limit me too much :).
If I go to NHSSs I stick to NHSS threat 5 or lower.

Yea most of my decon limpets get used due to the scout's missiles.

Sgurr
Ah, when I said I created a phantom build I was referring to Coriolis only ;), I only actually have a mk2 Krait AX build.
I myself only tried fighting basilisk in a wing of two 1 time yet and quickly came to the conclusion that it does way too much damage to tank it in a medium ship. So learning to orbit is my next step now (I'm playing with a controller... will see how it goes).

I've only fought Basilisks in a wing, I can't fight them solo as I don't want to synth HSs
HOTAS user here, I'm ok with the flak but FA-off orbiting is beyond me. I'm trying to do something close FA-on

Interesting about the HS synthesis for Basilisks, I've used them so far but I 'think' it's possible to output enough damage without them, or at least without using synth over the fight.
(adds to list of stuff to try)

Sgurr
No worries, I might try myself.
(also adds to list of stuff to try)

I myself only tried fighting basilisk in a wing of two 1 time yet and quickly came to the conclusion that it does way too much damage to tank it in a medium ship. So learning to orbit is my next step now (I'm playing with a controller... will see how it goes).
Kudos on using fixed with a controller, can't help think that's the hardest of all!

Mediums can't tank the swarm, they can tank the Basilisk itself. I've seen videos of folk tanking the Hydra in an FDL, (using prismatics to be fair but Medusa can be tanked without)
Orbiting looks so good though, I'd love to be able to make it work.

If you're on PC and don't want to invest I'm going to get a new joystick in a month or so, you'd be welcome to my old T16000m.

Playing ED with a mouse just feels wrong to me, breaks my immersions ;)

If you can't outrun them, get a couple km distance, turn around, and buzz past them. They all have a very slow turn radius; that'll help keep the thargons between you and the interceptor when you're flakking, and SHOULD let you keep your distance

Only have to be Orbiting 15* off their bore angle heatsink to dodge shots..and their blind if you're cold. I have a shieldleas fas for it, and silent running works in place of a heatsink if you're in a bind.

Most important thing i find: mind your distance

Max distance for good gauss dmg is ~1.5km
Good ditance to flip and flak is 4-5 km (depending on interceptor and your speed)
Under 900m RUN. She gonna HUG YOU.

And mind your pips obsessively.

Ps. Relative mouse fa-off fps controlls all the way

You guys have got me thinking. I mainly hunt in a Krait Mk2, due to my initial reliance on the slf bay to distract the swarm. Now i can do fa off reverski i haven’t even got a fighter bay on the Mk2.
Looks like time to buy my first Phantom.

I think i have a project now, cheers!

Shouldn’t be too bad on engineering either as i have pretty much enough mats to G5 it straight off the bat. Might need to do a little bit of grinding, not much though. The extra speed would surely be handy.

Oh, and congrats OP, happy hunting!

o7

You could just swap most of your modules from the the mk2 to the Phantom.

Sgurr
Interesting about the HS synthesis for Basilisks, I've used them so far but I 'think' it's possible to output enough damage without them, or at least without using synth over the fight.

The primary aim of spamming HSs isn't to stay cool enough for firing weapons (although of course it helps :)), it's to keep the ship's heat below 20%, at these low temps the interceptors can't track you apparently. But IMO that would take an inordinate amount of HSs & mat grinding, hence I don't do it.

Agreed about KB & mouse breaking immersion!

ReverendK
If you can't outrun them, get a couple km distance, turn around, and buzz past them.

That's what I've ended up doing by trial & error! ;)
Lol @ she gonna hug you!, yea & the yellow light isn't soothing! :D

Last edited:
I like the Plasma and Gauss combo, but you probably need to be tryhard and just boat Gauss against the tougher interceptors. I wish they'd buff the damage falloff range on the Plasma Charger at least. Bringing it to the same numbers as the regular Plasma Accelerators might be enough.

Sgurr

The primary aim of spamming HSs isn't to stay cool enough for firing weapons (although of course it helps :)), it's to keep the ship's heat below 20%, at these low temps the interceptors can't track you apparently. But IMO that would take an inordinate amount of HSs & mat grinding, hence I don't do it.

Agreed about KB & mouse breaking immersion!
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear. I know about the low heat, it's more that when fighting Medusa/Hydra they need so many gauss shots that you need the HS so you don't melt yourself.
I[m gonna try a Basilisk without them, see what happens.

That's what I've ended up doing by trial & error! ;)
Lo @ she gonna hug you!, yea & the yellow light isn't soothing! :D
It stings a bit :)

I've just realised I didn't answer some of your earlier questions from post #26.

1. Re Xeno scanner, it would be nice to have, especially for the interceptors, but it's not necessary & it takes up a slot I otherwise use for a shld booster.
2. Any disadvantages to guardian boosters? Or their cls5 shld gen? (I assume gen, your post wasn't clear).
3. FA off alone is usually enough to get me out of trouble in my mk2*, not as quickly of course, but it also means I don't have to travel back 15-20 kms to get back into the fight. Again an SDFN would be nice to have, but it's another wasted slot. I've gotten pretty good at hitting FA off the moment the goid makes the pre EMP noise :).
*On the very rare occasions I have drifted straight into the ceptor! lol, once was a glancing blow & I kept most of my speed & took little shld damage, the other I nearly ground to a halt & took a beating! lol ;)
4. Decon handy in NHSS solo if you forget about the lethal caustic cloud! :D
5. Hull dies before modules, unless I overheat my ship too much, which I usually don't now. AMFU not needed for a medium ship IMO, unless you synth ammo to keep on fighting.
6. Not too much of an issue having no flak against a Cyclops solo, or interceptors in AX CZ as long as their are other ships to take some of the flak.... err damage! ;), would be essential against Basi & above in solo, but I don't do that anyway.

Also note: caustic damage burns off at 280% (i thinks) heat. so if you dont have decon, which i never do, and you get hit by caustic missile or cloud, silent running and sneeze with the gauss burns it right out.

Top Bottom