Hardware & Technical GPU Upgrade: RX Vega 64 to 5700XT

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Starting point: AMD 1800X; RX Vega 64 (reference, stock clocks); Asus PRIME X370-PRO; 16GB DDR4 3600 CL19 GSkill Sniper X urban Kit of 2; 256GB NVMe

Elite Dangerous:
unknown.png

Unigine Superposition:
RX Vega 64 (why it is reported as a Vega 56 I don't know)
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

5700XT
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

World of Tanks Benchmark:
RX Vega 64
unknown.png

5700XT
unknown.png

Forza Horizon 4:
RX Vega 64
unknown.png

5700XT
unknown.png

Summary:
unknown.png

Last edited:
11% faster (In the worst scenario) than Vega at half the price and half the power? I'd call it a win. :)
It is a win, but some benchmarks show the increase as over 20% ..... That is all ... You clearly cant believe everything you read on the Internet ;)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
E: D performance is all over the place - sometimes over 130FPS in the station, dropping to less than 30FPS - for no apparent reason. Hovering around 32FPS at Dav's Hope (exact same position and viewpoint from the RX Vega 64 test) rather than 83FPS.

Bug report time.

User error, as you were....

Last edited:
It is a win, but some benchmarks show the increase as over 20% ..... That is all ... You clearly cant believe everything you read on the Internet ;)
Well, that's a given, of course. :LOL:

In other news:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AoenEBM2E

This is interesting. Standard AMD backet and memory/VRM layout means other coolers fit on the card.
I now wonder whether I should reconsider my decision to wait for the Sapphire to make a proper cooler for the XT and instead buy a reference model now and gut one of my old GPUs to try and mod it or slap a watercooler on it.

E: D performance is all over the place - sometimes over 130FPS in the station, dropping to less than 30FPS - for no apparent reason. Hovering around 32FPS at Dav's Hope (exact same position and viewpoint from the RX Vega 64 test) rather than 83FPS.

Bug report time.
Gamer's Nexus and Hardware unboxed did complain that the drivers suck (as usual at launch) so I's just wait a couple of days till they fix it.
Overclocking doesn't work either, according to what they say.

In my case it's a £379 card replacing a £449 card - I got the RX Vega 64 on day one at MSRP (just).
Well, I bought my Vega for almost 600 quid. :LOL:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Scratch that last - I R numpty. Things don't work too well when you leave Forza running in the background when running other benchmarks.

.... more testing to be done (and I think that all but the Forza benchmark on the 5700XT are complete pants due to the aforementioned "Forza running in the background" issue).

Ahahah. :LOL:

Well, technically, Forza running in the background should not affect GPU scores (too much) as it only takes up RAM and some CPU power but isn't rendered.
Still, though... Professional move! Good job. 😁

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Ahahah. :LOL:

Well, technically, Forza running in the background should not affect GPU scores (too much) as it only takes up RAM and some CPU power but isn't rendered.
Still, though... Professional move! Good job. 😁
I did start to wonder what was going on when the GPU utilisation was 98% with no (apparent) benchmark running - it seems that Forza might render the image behind the benchmark output at full power even when in the background. Temps were a bit toasty too.

So it looks like that with my new CPU and 5700XT (when it happens), I'm probably looking at at least 30-40% improvement overall.
Very cool.

Thank you for your time to do this, Robert. (I know you did it for yourself, too, but still. :) )

I'm waiting until August to get the Saphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+
Ha! You read my mind!
I actually have my recent (before Vega) RX580 Nitro+ special edition (blue) displayed on my shelf, because it's the most beautiful GC I've ever owned.
If they do a special edition of the 5700XT, I'm gonna bleed money. :LOL:

so if i get this right the 5700xt would be roughly equivalent to the 1080ti at half the price? that would be good news ...

Top Bottom