Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

Below is an updated "d3dx.ini" mod file.

All mod options are enabled by default except "hard mode". The options are:

1. Remove particles in supercruise.
kMgI0TX.jpg
2. Remove particles in normal flight.
R50w3DW.jpg
3. Remove moving supercruise vertical lines from the cockpit.
ZrkQ5TW.jpg
4. Remove streaks from cockpit windscreen.
kugNzXX.jpg
5. Remove the haze from inside of starports.
urvte0H.jpg
6. Remove the haze when on planet surfaces.
NJFyhGb.jpg
7. Hard hode - Removes various HUD destination, flight and target cues e.g. circles, placeholders, orbital lines, etc. (see attached file for additional information).

The mods were tested in 2D and VR using standard game "ultra" settings with a PC version of Elite Dangerous purchased through the Frontier Developments Store. The mod should work for all PC versions of the game, but versions purchased through Oculus store may produce different results (attributable to what is thought to be different hash numbering for some shaders). Results will vary between 2D and VR.

To use the attached file rename it to "d3dx.ini". Then copy it to the directory where the 3DMigoto files are installed (which should be the same directory as your Elite Dangerous game executable - EliteDangerous64.exe) to replace the exisiting "d3dx.ini" file. It is also stongly recommended that exisiting mods (ps replace .txt files) be removed from the "ShaderFix" sub-directory before using this file. For 3DMigoto installation instructions see OP (first post) - Steps 1 and 2. Note that 3DMigoto version 1.3.8 was used to test and modify the d3dx.ini file so download and install that version if you encounter any issues with a later version.

Attached file: View attachment d3dx-v2.txt

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this!

Not just the modified configuration, but the simple instructions. Finally I have clean windows!!

No problem.

What options are you using when the NPC "ball of light" goes? Hard mode? I'll have a look at this when reviewing the shaders.

As to other CMDRS, by all means report any "side" (unexpected) effects you notice and point out the mod options you were using at the time. I'm still reviewing and testing the mod effects so it all helps. At the very least, changes should documented so others know what to expect when using a mod. :)

Not VR- 4k screen, just enabled canopy dust and haze removers (both station and planet).

Had some really odd things been happening. This morning in my alt account it seemed to drop out once or twice, so I got station haze plus npc balls of light back. Then this evening in my main account when I was approaching an asteroid base to sell my data I got a creeping sea of pixellated black spreading across the screen, weird, couldn't see anything in half the screen. Had to close down entireley & relaunch game to clear it.

edit: and after I relaunched the game I tried to target the asteroid base & couldn’t get the selection ring, so had it reverted to “hard mode”? I disabled this when I installed the mod.

edit2: just checked my installation - have extracted all files from x64 folder of 3Dmigito-1.3.14.zip into EDLaunch/Products/elite-dangerous-64 folder

replaced original d3dx.ini with later one from this thread & amended as follows:
; MOD OPTIONS
; Disable the starfield in normal flight.
; This removes the particles that move past the ship when in normal flight.

; [ShaderOverride1]
; Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
; Handling=skip

; Disable the starfield in supercruise.
; This removes the particles that move past the ship in supercruise.

; [ShaderOverride2]
; Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
; Handling=skip

; Disable supercruise lines.
; This removes the moving vertical lines on each side of the cockpit.

; [ShaderOverride3]
; Hash=89fe00881332dc43
; Handling=skip

; Remove the haze in spaceports.
; This removes the white haze inside large spaceports.

[ShaderOverride4]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip

; Remove the haze from planet surfaces (experimental).
; Enable this to remove the white haze when on planetary surfaces.

[ShaderOverride5]
Hash=ec77ba76560d17ce
Handling=skip

; Clean your window.
; Enable this mod for a clean cockpit window.

[ShaderOverride6]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip

; Hard mode for "immeeeershun".
; This is for commanders who wanting a more challenging game (or remove external
; clutter for videos or screenies). The known effects of this mod are:
; (A) All external direction, distance, target and object markers are removed. You will need to fly
; using the compass, nav panel, target panel and eyeballs! Investigating a USS or POI
; on a planet surface will require your attention!
; (B) No supercruise or hypercruise vector guides. You will need align your
; ship with the compass to enter either cruise mode.
; (C) No targeting cues. You must line your ship up with the object or other
; ship or use the contact or navigation panel to select it. Can still lock and shoot
; etc. but there will not be a targeting pip so aim is a good eye
; or gimballed weapons.
; (D) No night vision. Eyeballs and lights on the darkside!
; (E) Interdictions do not show the progress bars. You'll know whether you won or lost when it happens!

; [ShaderOverride7]
; Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
; Handling=skip

Last edited:
@ A D

Had some lighting issues with your latest file d3dx-v2. The planet lighting would abruptly change when dropping into normal flight. I reverted back the text files and the default d3dx.ini and everything was good. Running in VR FDEV store version no Steam no No Oculus store

Last edited:
Thanks CMDRS.

@Jorki Rasalas. So far I have not had any crashes with 3DMigoto so hard to say. The problems you describe are consistent with high game settings or connection issue? I checked the "NPC ball of light" issue you raised earlier. They are still there if you are close enough to the other ship, just not marked in "hard mode". 3DMigoto doesn't appear to put a load on the computer, but uninstall it altogether and see if you still encounter problems.

P.S. Read your edited post and noticed you are using the earlier version of the d3dx file. The new one has a different shader number for the "clean your window" option. For that option try replacing the hash number "e29d91120fc28c8e " with "e37ec68e66eac942". Also can see that you have "hard mode" disabled which means that all external cues should show up. If not try refreshing your shader cache when re-staring the game. Again, uninstalling 3DMigoto will solve the problem regardless if it is shader related.

@Good Death. Shouldn't make any difference as both methods are simply instructing the game to skip a specified shader. That being said, nothing wrong with using .txt files and the default d3dx file if you prefer. As regards the change in lighting, reads like pre 3.3 lighting, Have you made any changes to the graphics config file (via the override file)? If not, you could try disabling the "removes planet haze" .ini option (or .txt file) as that is the only mod I'm aware of that has any affect on planets, and even then only when practically sitting on the surface itself.

Both - Apart from the above suggestions, if you want to continue experimenting with 3DMigoto, try enabling one effect at a time and give it a good run. This will narrow any problem down if it is shader related.

Last edited:
Thanks CMDRS.

@Jorki Rasalas. So far I have not had any crashes with 3DMigoto so hard to say. The problems you describe are consistent with high game settings or a connection issue? I checked the "NPC ball of light" issue you raised earlier. They are still there if you are close enough to the other ship, just not marked in "hard mode". 3DMigoto doesn't appear to put a load on the computer, but uninstall it altogether and see if you still encounter problems.

@Good Death. Shouldn't make any difference as both methods are simply instructing the game to skip a specified shader. That being said, nothing wrong with using .txt files and the default d3dx file if you prefer. As regards the change in lighting, reads like pre 3.3 lighting, Have you made any changes to the graphics config file (via the override file)? If not, you could try disabling the "removes planet haze" .ini option (or .txt file) as that is the only mod I'm aware of that has any affect on planets, and even then only when practically sitting on the surface itself.

Both - Apart from the above suggestions, if you want to continue experimenting with 3DMigoto, try enabling one effect at a time and give it a good run. This will narrow any problem down if it is shader related.

thanks A D.
May be having pc overheating problems, though the gpu temperature seems ok according to MSI Afterburner, so going to try tomorrow with side panel off & floor fan blowing in. Will see if graphics problem repeats, then try disabling 3DMigoto etc as above.

Last edited:
I tweaked the graphics config via override with settings from your tone mapping mk3 thread. I also disabled the planet haze option because the planet haze doesn't bother me. But hey if its good with the .txt files I'm golden minus the the merciless VR jaggies in my Rift. Thank you.

I tweaked the graphics config via override with settings from your tone mapping mk3 thread. I also disabled the planet haze option because the planet haze doesn't bother me. But hey if its good with the .txt files I'm golden minus the the merciless VR jaggies in my Rift. Thank you.

Ignore the</HDRNode_Reference> settings I suggest in that thread. Use the default HDRNode settings instead. :)

Since 3.3 bespoke tone mapping is not working with the new lighting. The notable exception (which is not tone mapping per se) is the <ManualExposure> setting. Adjusting that will have a noticeable effect. Currently set at "-1.500000" in my graphics override file.

Last edited:
You need to find where your game is installed, not where the launcher is installed (i.e. the path to EliteDangerous64.exe). You want to copy the files in the 3dmigoto x64 folder (not the folder itself, the files inside it) to wherever EliteDangerous64.exe is.

Ahhh thank you . Ok now it works! But just 1 question:
At startup I get 6 messages stating shader not found ex: "shader not found: C:\users\....\Appdata\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShadeFixes/3dvision2sbs.hlsl". Is that normal?

I'm using d3dx-v2 as in post#121

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I'm hoping someone can help here - the mod worked perfectly day before yesterday but since I visitied a planet I noticed space was back to being milky.
I went back into space and yup, space was back to crap.

I tried removing the Migoto direcetories and starting again and have tried all the .ini files posted at various points but not 1 of the listed effects works anymore.

I'm gutted, absolutely loved what it did on my Rift..
Please advise...

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems all the changes I'm not bothered about are working.. I just hate looking around out my cockpit and seeing patches of black space, I want it all nice and black grrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Ahhh thank you . Ok now it works! But just 1 question:
At startup I get 6 messages stating shader not found ex: "shader not found: C:\users\....\Appdata\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ShadeFixes/3dvision2sbs.hlsl". Is that normal?

I'm using d3dx-v2 as in post#121

Most likely an installation error. It's telling you that a 3DMigoto file is missing. The installation should include the "ShaderFixes" subdirectory. That subdirectory with its contents should be copied to your ED executable directory.

Last edited:
EDIT: Seems all the changes I'm not bothered about are working.. I just hate looking around out my cockpit and seeing patches of black space, I want it all nice and black grrrrrrrrrr

The mod doesn't make space blacker, just removes some haze near the planet surface.

Try using one effect at a time just to confirm those that are working ok. As to any effect that does not appear to be working, need a before/after screenshot to see what is happening. If there is a noticeable change then it's working. You could try enabling the ED option to reload shaders on startup just to make sure they are all are loaded following any change.

Some CMDRS have reported mixed results with the Oculus store version of the game (I have a Rift but use the FD store version of the game).

Last edited:
The mod doesn't make space blacker, just removes some haze near the planet surface.

Try using one effect at a time just to confirm those that are working ok. As to any effect that does not appear to be working, need a before/after screenshot to see what is happening. If there is a noticeable change then its working. You could try enabling the ED option to reload shaders on startup just to make sure they are all are loaded following any change.

Some CMDRS have reported mixed results with the Oculus store version of the game. I have a Rift but use the FD store version of the game.

I've got it - I hunted myself and found its actually the shader that deals with Nebula I don't like.
Now I know how to do this I'm going to disable all "skips" and do my own set from scratch.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got it - I hunted myself and found its actually the shader that deals with Nebula I don't like.
Now I know how to do this I'm going to disable all "skips" and do my own set from scratch.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem. Make sure any changes are purely cosmetic (and do not confer an advantage in multi-play) otherwise FD could ban you. [yesnod]

Most likely an installation error. It's telling you that a 3DMigoto file is missing. The installation should include the "ShaderFixes" subdirectory. That subdirectory with its contents should be copied to your ED executable directory.

Thanks. I checked and the folder "shaderFixes" along with 6 hlsl files (that the error says cannot find, which by the way only shows up on the mirror display for few seconds -and not in the headset) are indeed there!
One thing that I see that is funny is if you look in the d3dx file, the path for those files is "vs = ShaderFixes/3dvision2sbs.hlsl". Normally in windows, paths are specified in backslash and not forward slash as far as I know. Could that be the problem?
Also, I disabled the semicolons in order to enable the hard mode but hard mode does not happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom