Great effects and mechanics, left at back of the cupboard

I recently sent my alt-account out to explore in-anger. They're primarily scoping out all the different types of anomalies and their effects. And some of them have great effects:

(This video not mine)

Along the way, I've also come to recently experience Lagrange Storm clouds:

My big question is: Why on Earth are these sorts of visual effects and environments only used in the rare situations where you happen to stumble across these out in the void? Where your interactions with them are transient and, for the most part, pointless? Don't get me wrong, it was cool to fly in it to record that video and get thrown about... but there was no point to it, other than a cool video. The space-born organics are easily accessible for scan outside the main core of the storm, and are also the same as what I've found in other regions where there haven't been the storm clouds.

How awesome would it be if those black-box salvage missions, rather than be an affair of arrive-scoop-leave-possibly outrun pirates, had the mission-USS dump you into one of these storms, where you then had to recover the Black-Box, or maybe a dozen escape pods? Imagine fighting a pirate lord in that environment? Or those distress calls present you with a ship in stuck in these areas, or surrounded by dangerous anomalies (and because they're running cold, you have to get close to them to get a target lock)?

When the Oracle was first attacked, the environment in the damaged station, the effects, and the impeding feel of needing to help rescue people/salvage items was tremendous

... but of course when it became apparent that the damaged stations would just self-heal without any player interaction, it lost a lot of meaning. Nonetheless, it was the environment and the hazards that made these activities fun.

Even came across this video from the 3.3 Beta (did this make it in the game?) of a ship conducting a hull breach repair on a megaship:

Again, how awesome would a mission be where the mission USS dumps you in a storm where there's a damaged megaship? You might need to repair all the hull breaches to stabilise the ship for rescue crews, and also pop it's cargo hatches and recover the escape pods which failed to launch.

These are all really cool things that just seem totally under-utilised. They literally exist in the game... why aren't they being used? Are FD just scared to show us what their game is really capable of front-and-center to gameplay?

Last edited:
I agree about the graphical environments, it would be cool to see more use made of this stuff.

But self-healing stations? Did I waste three months earlier this year fixing a station for nothing? I thought they were only repaired via player activity. Sure would have been nice to get a bit of NPC help ;)

I agree about the graphical environments, it would be cool to see more use made of this stuff.

But self-healing stations? Did I waste three months earlier this year fixing a station for nothing? I thought they were only repaired via player activity. Sure would have been nice to get a bit of NPC help ;)
Station states go Damaged -> Repair -> Normal.

Repair -> Normal is definitely player-controlled, but the Damaged->Repair state, unless it's changed recently and I'm not aware of it, is/was definitely automagic after a week.

FDev could be using these areas as graphical test sites, tweaking them to make sure they can be used in more instances. Hopefully we'll get the chance to see more of these things in the wider game in the future.

Yes, this one's in the game. Thargoid damaged Mega Ships sometimes hail you with a request to repair the damage, sometimes they want the escape pods rescuing.
Thanks, that was going to be the next thing I'd check. I'm glad it's in the game, just wish it was a bit more front-and-center to things, particularly for missions.

Stations remain damaged until the incursion is been - some have been in incursion for several weeks, but now people have realised they are fun and useful for rank grinds they don't last long.

And as others said, the scenarios for repair and rescue exist if you can find attacked megaships - often (but not always) in incursion systems. kwiamoni, adnoannoda, heng, Svaratia and valtam have them this week. Those missions can be challenging if the thargoids turn up to oppose. (y)

Edit: salvage missions (now available again from rescue ships) are also a nice addition now they've reappeared on the rescue ships.

Absolutely. It's the same with scenarios. They record voices, add UI elements, goals and lots of installations but don't use it for missions.
I hope they'll add this stuff later but I am getting bored of seeing so much wasted potential.
Didn't they say in one of the update live streams that the new scenarios in CZs, installations, USS', etc. were just the start and they'd be expanding it to other parts of the game in time? I imagine it's a fair amount of effort to add those but hopefully they'll spread more generally into the mission system too.

The same with the cargo-depot functionality, it doesn't yet cover all applicable missions but they did say that it was a first step and they intended to use it wherever it was applicable.

I know that plans and intentions don't always come to fruition, but I'm hopeful.

Didn't they say in one of the update live streams that the new scenarios in CZs, installations, USS', etc. were just the start and they'd be expanding it to other parts of the game in time? I imagine it's a fair amount of effort to add those but hopefully they'll spread more generally into the mission system too.

The same with the cargo-depot functionality, it doesn't yet cover all applicable missions but they did say that it was a first step and they intended to use it wherever it was applicable.

I know that plans and intentions don't always come to fruition, but I'm hopeful.
That's how I remember it as well, so I am hopeful too.

But imagine they would've postponed it until more functionality is added. It would've made a pretty big impact on the game and community.
In its current form however it seems like most people aren't interested (if they know about it...).
Once it will get fleshed out most people will probably say 'it should've been like that from the start...'.

Top Bottom