Griefers at the Engineers

Hi Cmdr's - Last night I decided to engineer a module at the Engineer in Deciat in my Anaconda, I had just jumped into the system did some fuel scooping always keeping my eyes peeled on the scanner, everything was looking good continued heading towards Farseer Inc the Engineers base, heading there is cruise then jumped into glide mode, at about 7.30km I issued a docking request, the docking computer kicked in, all of a sudden as I was about to land I was attacked by two Corvettes firing at me and raming my ship, to make things worse I couldn't land as a player was blocking the pad. There wasn't a lot I could do but log off with the 15-second allowed time. I logged back into a private group, headed back to the engineers base done the engineering on the module. I then decided to log back into open, I headed up to the surface and was attacked again on the pad, they were raming me and firing missiles. I can't understand how this can be called combat or fair play, I was a sitting duck, seems to be the engineers are becoming a hotbed for attackers. I have made a rule now I only got to the Engineers in Solo or Private Group, any comments on this? fly safe Cmdr's.

Cmdr Gunston...

I have no problem and feel no shame switching to Solo to engineer my ships, especially when there are griefers around taking advantage of the ramming exploit.

Once Frontier brings back CGs, this should "dilute" the number of griefers hanging out at engineering bases. People looking for PvP (fair or not) will go where CMDRs congregate. Ultimately I consider this a flaw in the game for not giving us PvP-centric CGs each week. I think many "griefers" are just bored PvPers, and having played the game as long as I have, I understand why.

Aren't the bases defences supposed to kick in at some point?
Especially if missiles with splash damage are being used.

Either way, it's not advised to visit hot spots in open during evenings and weekends.
And it's most definitely not advised to use a docking computer in a hot spot.

That is a good point about the defences at the Engineers base, there were no defences at all that I could see, even when I was just sat on the landing pad being attacked. I thought there were defences, that is the first time after 2 years of playing this game I have been attached actually at the Engineers base! I only use the docking computer at Planetary bases, the Anaconda seems to drift a bit just makes it a bit easier etc to dock. Just checking Inara now and 7 murder attempts in Deciat within the last hour! ouch :(

Deleted member 38366

D
Some Engineer Bases not returning fire on attackers ganking Ships right inside the NFZ of the Base is a very old Exploit.

It was bug-reported a >very< long time ago - and ignored as usual.
After all, it's just FDev's favorite playstyle (their love child) having fun at the expense of others. Day in day out. Again and again.

Working as intended.
Let that sink in for a moment. And remember it should you i.e. consider tossing money at these very guys in the Store.

Anyway, as Engineering does not require nor benefit from the presence of other Players, Open Play is clearly not the best way to approach this Gankfest hotspot Deciat.
Plus, not doing it in Open usually results in less lag and more free landing pads.
( I've been waiting for upto 30mins to get a free pad in Open at Engineer places, at times only to find NPCs were blocking an assigned landing Pad :p )

I think many "griefers" are just bored PvPers,

Ive often thought this. Ive tried to PvP in Elite and i can never find someone to fight (at least not easily) Its usually when im not ready or interested in a fight that someone who is ready and willing then finds me.

I think that people invest the time and energy into a ship build and then they wanna use it for what it was designed for, but finding a willing PvP opponent takes time, so ganking an innocent ship is the easier option.

People have asked before that CQC somehow be integrated into the main game, it would be nice if players could battle their in game ships in PvP arenas.

Players who want to fight and hunt usually head for systems which they know will hold the most amount of players. Engineer hotspots, Shinrata, CG's etc.

If there where systems specifically designated for PvP combat, with special menus in stations that allow people to select combat with other players from a list and then go join in... compete somehow.

Maybe, that might help with the bordom and the grind of finding a legitimate in game fight.

Some Engineer Bases not returning fire on attackers ganking Ships right inside the NFZ of the Base is a very old Exploit.
Unless the station is under the control of a Power that the 'ganker' is pledged to and the target is an enemy. Deciat belongs to the Empress (which is stupid seeing that it's a Federation system, but that's PP for you). If you are an enemy of Arissa, then you're fair game. Best go get your FSD engineered over at Elvira's shop.

I generally Engineer what I can from pinned BPs before visiting the Engineers, and in the rare cases I encounter trouble in the immediate vicinity of an engineer base, I just park a fair distance outside and drive my SRV in.

There's plenty of PvP in Shinrarta Dezhra, almost any time of the day. It's been like this forever. As for people camping near engineers -- hmm, that's weird! Not sure what you get from killing an engineering newbie. I guess they give you an important badge for that in outlaw community? Recognition, respect, subscribers! Probably rum & hot Caribbean ladies? Must be something.. Who knows <shrugs>

That is a good point about the defences at the Engineers base, there were no defences at all that I could see, even when I was just sat on the landing pad being attacked. I thought there were defences, that is the first time after 2 years of playing this game I have been attached actually at the Engineers base! I only use the docking computer at Planetary bases, the Anaconda seems to drift a bit just makes it a bit easier etc to dock. Just checking Inara now and 7 murder attempts in Deciat within the last hour! ouch :(

They have defences and will start firing if you or someone else has damaged the base enough. Engineer bases have always been hotpots by ambush gankers. So best to be on alert and ready to go on evasive.

It took over two weeks to accept my application. In nearly four weeks of trying to find Mobius players I found one that wanted to talk. One player in four weeks. This single player was running a weaponless AspX, and didn't care to do anything but putter around, which is refreshing for me. I asked if I could tag along and she disconnected.
Something odd has happened to the Mobius group(s) in the last couple of months. In general it was never as populous as Open, but at CGs and Engineer bases I could always guarantee seeing a couple to a few dozen ships depending on time of day. When the main group got split into the regional groups there was a bit of a drop-off as some players lagged behind in the legacy group and other players got geographically separated, but the Eurasia group eventually started to pick up again. Then for whatever reason it just tailed off to almost nothing. Whether this is a technical issue or just the result of players leaving the game and/or moving to Solo, Open, Fleetcom or other PGs is impossible to know. But for me Mobius is a shadow of its former self. Attack Chimp chose a really bad time to sign up IMO.

As for Open in general... it is what is is now. I've long ago given up waiting for FD to take on the challenge of offering meaningful or contextual PVP, and discouraging those thread-generating behaviours that fall under various descriptions often beginning with 'g'. They rarely touch it, and when they do their solutions demonstrate a naivety that shows they haven't learned a thing since 2013. Hang around to see what happens with the upcoming "Beginner's Zone" for the latest example. I'll bring the popcorn.

Like it or not, this is the structure of ED now:
  • If you like the thrill of random attacks with a probability ranging from almost zero in fringe systems to a virtual guarantee at Engineer bases, that's Open play.
  • If you want to engage with like-minded players without ruining other people's game or having them ruin yours, organised or ad-hoc Private Groups are the way to go.
  • For everything else, and ultimate peace and quiet, there's Solo.
Playing "Open except at busy places", or hoping for activity warnings on forums, Reddit, Discord etc. is futile IMO. You're still letting the potential behaviour of other players dictate how you play, even if you're not interacting with them. Better to make that choice once per session on the Main Menu and enjoy your preferred game. That's what those options are there for.

Deleted member 38366

D
Unless the station is under the control of a Power that the 'ganker' is pledged to and the target is an enemy. Deciat belongs to the Empress (which is stupid seeing that it's a Federation system, but that's PP for you). If you are an enemy of Arissa, then you're fair game. Best go get your FSD engineered over at Elvira's shop.

Inside the System - yes. But what I was referring to was Farseer Base itself, which does not belong to any Power and should sanction any illegal act within its NFZ immediately.

And that it often doesn't , allowing any CMDRs with the required Exploits to engage docking Traffic right above the Base, deep inside the supposed NFZ.
And that they love to do, AFAIK there's a whole Ganker Group doing specifically that for lulz ever since.

I decided to check out Mobius because commanders are suggesting it as a viable alternative to open play. I play open, but I wasn't finding commanders who wanted to hang, so I thought I'd meet people in Mobius.

Mobius is not an alternative to open play.

It took over two weeks to accept my application. In nearly four weeks of trying to find Mobius players I found one that wanted to talk. One player in four weeks. This single player was running a weaponless AspX, and didn't care to do anything but putter around, which is refreshing for me. I asked if I could tag along and she disconnected.

Mobius is essentially solo. Do not bother. Complete waste of time.
Nah, that's not true. Depending on timezone there are lots of players online, especially during CGs.
And many players there are cool. But it is very different to open, it's essentially safe mode, which many people like and which is ok (a game, remember?)

I wonder if they'd have acted any differently if you'd been flying a smaller ship, not ranked "deadly" and were not pledged to a power?

I dunno, my experience is contrary to yours. I wish I would have met some commanders who hang, but I never did. Someone suggested that my commander name is off-putting, so maybe I'm part of the problem.
I spent a good 1500 hours in Mobius, met a lot of friends there. Perhaps it got worse in the last half year, or perhaps the missing CGs and DW2 make it Barren, no idea. But when I played there, it was always full at CGs and I had lots of friends and wings...

Top Bottom