Griefers at the Engineers

Nah man, gankers would love that mega server structure where they could get their hands on you enmasse. If something like that were implemented, the ensuing PvE white knight massacre would look something like this:

I would very much like to see what would happen. There are quite a few examples of large animals or people taken out by fire ants, siafu, or africanized bees. I would like to see how those japanese hornets would do against africanized bees or the aggressive ants.

As far as the comparison between gankers and DW2 that is completely specious (not your statement Jason). The group of players were geared specifically for exploration not general purpose. Again, individual instances would not tolerate 40 players to mount any legit defense.

I know threeofnine quite well! Good fellow. Just hasn't been playing much these days :D

His videos are always entertaining

Cool! Woudn’t like to face him 1v1 though. He’s a badass! :)

I’ve watched the video twice and was thinking about third time in slow motion! :p

The way he’s dancing around this FDL like a prima ballerina is just astonishing!! :)

The Replicated Man

T
More than likely ;)
I'm just here to mine salt, not gonna beat around the bush. Taunting those who get too uptight about this game is really fun when you've sunk 5000 hours in and are really getting bored of it. The Meta-game politics are the only endgame content. Keyboard PvP
Thats what most gankers play the game for. They live off other peoples reactions which make the game fun for them.

I know because I have been there

No, I won't get that far. Lets ground it a little bit. From what I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong), your general set of mind seems to be "Whatever I do in Open doesn't matter, as long it's not against the rules". Right?
Wrong. Everything you do in Open matters! A prominent example is piracy and its current state. Why do you think is it so? I'll tell you: Too many gankers who pretended to be pirates ruined the business for the pirates at the end.

So no, I'm not talking about sociopath, psychopath or whatever -path, just the plain old ***-hat I'm talking about.

I prefer the term "combat-explorer".

I say you're overstepping the mark and revealing your true colours here. Perhaps just get over the fact that there are other modes that other p[layers now prefer to spend their time - and perhaps the direct and primary reason for that is that Solo mode isn't topsy turvy?
Wait... what?

I've had many fingers pointed at me during my time on this forum but this is the first time I've ever been accused of having an anti-Solo agenda. I should win an award for having kept it so well hidden for six years. ;)

This thread has broken everything.

I've got to leave it at that as I'm not talking from own experience (which would be irrelevant to this thread anyway). But I listen to what people post on this forum, if true or not is another question...

I'm not talking about my experience or yours. It's the experience of people who originally tried to play pirates in Elite: Dangerous and seemingly without fail describe the scourge of combat logging and how it ruined pirating for them. Many of them turned to ganking because at least they could get something out of it that way.

Take Rinzler. He was just talking about this the other week. He's OG Code, I think? Same old story.

My own experience? When I started ganking all the pirates told me to keep at it because combat logging ruined piracy.

When people say combat logging ruined pirating they're putting the chicken before the egg.

I don't agree. In previous versions of Elite, NPCs posed a very serious threat so the authority, such as it is, comes from looking at happened in earlier games.

There needs to be bad guys, whether NPC or CMDR, and these battles need to be tough.

That's still wrong. An Anarchy is so labelled directly due to the lack of any security, meaning the bad guys are able to thrive there.
Talk about previous games - in particular the original, going to an Anarchy was a TOUGH journey in which you'd fight wave after wave of wings of pirates, with not a single authority ship in system. In direct contrast, lots of Viper security in Democracy systems and very very rare to meet any pirates as a direct consequence of the presence of security.
My experience of the NPCs of the current version is very similar. Without any mission tags or powerplay pledge a player is very unlikely to be targeted by a pirate in a High Security. Whereas in decreasing security tiers the likelihood increases. Throw in mission consequences and this adds a new dimension that is less dependent upon security state.
In sum, PvP players act in direct contradiction of NPC programming.
I don't "blame" them, but I reserve the right to make the direct observation that it's in contradiction to the way the game is designed to be "labelled".

In sum, PvP players act in direct contradiction of NPC programming.
I don't "blame" them,
I blame the game for this, not the griefers. If Old Duck were in charge (hahaha), I could easily fix this by changing the game, but Braben stopped answering his phone when I call, so I guess we're stuck with what we have.

What's so funny about it? Even you admitted that some of the former pirates went on ganking out of frustration. Now tell yourself the question: How shall a new player know if he was just killed by a frustrated former pirate or just one of those new fashion gankers - and how would it matter? Similar to real world wars, at some point it doesn't matter anymore who initially started the conflict or who was the chicken or the egg.

None of it matters. This whole discussion is pointless :)

I wouldn't go that far. You know never know what might take off because of discussions like this.

I am just posting during fuel scooping and such so I am just shooting from the hip. I can see things going back and forth and in this particular case I do not see anyone changing their minds.

It would be lovely to see some grand anti-ganker coalition emerging from all this. Or anything really.

This is all very entertaining though so do keep up!

Top Bottom