Parks Grindlheim - an immersive theme world inspired by Klugheim at Phantasialand

grindlheim-header.png

Welcome to theme world of Grindlheim

Today I'd like to present you my next big project after VOLT, which I released last year.
This is Grindlheim, an immersive theme world inspired by Klugheim at Phantasialand.
Like Klugheim, Grindlheim has two rollercoasters: K'aros, a fast multi launch coaster and Ri'kh, a family coaster.
I started this project back in 2016 and already spent 400 - 500 hours in Planet Coaster
building Grindlheim and I finally have enough in stock to show you the first images.

To do this I have created my own website for the project.
There you can find images and a project blog which I will update regulary.

>> Check out the Grindlheim website and blog <<

Nevertheless I will still post all updates here as well.
But now, I'd like to show you some images of Grindlheim so you can get a first idea of what I'm building:

hero1.jpg

hero2.jpg

hero3.jpg

hero4.jpg

hero5.jpg

hero6.jpg

These are a few preview images. There are more on the Grindlheim website as well as more information on the coasters.

------------------------------

I will regulary update the blog on my site and post new images and information over there.

>> Check out the first blog post here <<

I thought it's a good idea to include the first blog post here as well, so I put it in quotation marks below.
I will always let you know about new updates on the blog over here as well but I' not sure if I should post them here. It's also a lot of work.
What do you think? Is a link to the blog post enough? Let me know!

And let me know what you think of my creations.

Welcome to the Grindlheim Blog
Update #1 - 03/17/2019

Welcome to the Grindlheim Blog, dear Planet Coaster friends and enthusiasts. I'm pleased you found your way onto this site and my project blog. This is the very first post here, so please stick around and let me explain to you what Grindlheim is, what I'm building here and what is planned.

At first I'd like to introduce you the project: Grindlheim is an immersive Planet Coaster theme world that I started building at the end of 2016. At that time I visited the amazing Klugheim at Phantasialand in Germany and since then I wanted to create something similar within Planet Coaster which was just released at that time. But during the second half of 2017 and till summer 2018 I spent most of the time in Planet Coaster with building VOLT, a launch coaster inspired by HELIX at Liseberg.

But since then I was back dedicating all my Planet Coaster time on Grindlheim. If I have to guess I'd say I already spent 400 - 500 hours into this project and I'm not close to finishing. But I have enough in stock now to finally show you what I'm working on. Like Klugheim, Grindlheim has two rollercoasters: K'aros, a fast multi launch coaster and Ri'kh, a family coaster. You can check out their dedicated pages on this site for some more information, stats and a few images. But there are many more details, information and images to come in the future.

I created this blog to beautifully present the project in an organized and chronological order. Nevertheless I will still post every update on Reddit, or on the Planet Coaster Forums so you can comment and discuss the progress or suggest improvements. Every blog post will consist of text and a gallery below. Some images will have descriptions that you can toggle on and off with the eye-symbol in the gallery controls.

That's it for now. Please check out the images below and come back for the next update.
Zarroc91 / Dravarol

p1-1.jpg

This is a bird's-eye view of Grindlheim in its current state. As you can see, I haven't started on the most complicated theming job, the entwined track of K'aros on the left. The east side of Grindlheim is mostly finished.

p1-2.jpg

Here you can see where the stations and entrances of K'aros and Ri'kh are located within Grindlheim. Guests will enter the theme world at the bottom of the image at K'aros' entrance.

p1-3.jpg

An image of K'aros and the logo I designed for the coaster.

p1-4.jpg

The middle of the image shows the station and brake run of K'aros. I will show the complete station in a later update.

p1-5.jpg

This is the entrance of K'aros' queue line. Of course the complete queue is heavily themed. I will show it in a later update.

p1-6.jpg

The same building from a different angle.

p1-7.jpg

This is the family coaster Ri'kh. Inspired by how Klugheim at Phantasialand was designed, most of Ri'kh's track lies below normal ground level. What do you think of the logo? Leave a comment on Reddit or the Planet Coaster Forums (links at the top)!

Last edited:
This is truly amazing. You've picked another gorgeous coaster as inspiration. I absolutely loved VOLT but this is on another level. Every pic is stuffed to the brim with detail and interest. The first shot is stunning and I love that transition into that sweeping drop. It looks like it would be an absolute blast to ride.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Amazing work! This definitely makes me think of the Klugheim area in Phantasialand! :D [up]

Thank you so much for youre very nice comments so far. I'm glad you like my creation.

The Queue Line of K'aros
It's time for an update and today I want to show you the complete finished queue line of K'aros.
For this update I'd like to point you to my Grindlheim blog.

>> Check out the blog post here <<

Again, for now I also put this post in a quotation block below. But please don't let that stop you to check out the blog.

The Queue Line of K'aros
Update #2 - 04/07/2019
Welcome back to the second post here on the Grindlheim blog.
Today I want to show you the complete queue line of K'aros.

For heavily themed coasters like K'aros, standing in line for the ride is an integral part of the experience. Usually more time is spent in the queue than on the ride itself. Therefore an interesting queue layout and good theming are important to built up excitement for the ride.

Like at Klugheim at Phantasialand, I decided to not integrate pre-shows into my queues but try to make them interesting by layout, architecture, theming and music. While I'm currently making good progress on the queue for Ri'kh, K'aros' queue line is already finished and ready to be shown to you. As you might understand after viewing the 14 images I brought along for today, building K'aros' queue and theming it was not an easy task because most of it is hidden inside multi-story buildings. Furthermore, elevated sections cross the coasters K'aros and Ri'kh several times. I was struggling especially with theming curved stairs which I'm trying to avoid from now on.

Without further ado, please view the gallery below for a complete tour of the queue line of K'aros.
p2-1.jpg

You may know these buildings from the last blog post. This is the main plaza where the queue line of K'aros begins.

p2-2.jpg

The center of the first room that guests enter is themed with a huge machine that powers the launches of the coaster.

p2-3.jpg

Moving parts like cogs and pistons and timed steam effects are part of this structure.

p2-4.jpg

After the machien room the queue takes a 180° turn. This is located inside the tower-like building on the left of picture \#1.

p2-5.jpg

Guests can take a last look onto the plaza before the queue leads further down inside the building.

p2-6.jpg

The open windows of the following passage reveal the coaster and its large station building for the first time. K'aros' first launch is directly located above this section.

p2-7.jpg

The passage is also parallel to the second launch of K'aros so that guests have an incredible view of the coaster rushing by. Next, the queue crosses over the launch via the little roofed bridge that can be seen on the left.

p2-8.jpg

Following the bridge, crossing over K'aros and Ri'kh, guests then enter the basement of the station building...

p2-9.jpg

...which is home to the only small 'cattle pen' like line on K'aros' queue. The boarding station is located directly above this room.

p2-10.jpg

Up next, the queue leaves the basement and hugs the outside wall of the station. The path leads up the stairs on the left.

p2-11.jpg

The stairs curve to right following the station's wall up to the highest point of the queue while crossing K'aros again below and above.

p2-12.jpg

Missing out on K'aros means missing out on incredible views of Grindlheim that can only be enjoyed from the queue line. We are close the end now.

p2-13.jpg

One last turn right and a few steps done and we finally enter the station.

p2-14.jpg

Marked in orange on this bird's eye view is the complete queue line. Most of it is hidden inside buildings and deeply integrated into the overall theming.

The Station of K'aros
It's been a while since the last update but I finally found the time for a new blog post.
This time we have a look in and around the station of K'aros.

Again, for now I also put this post in a quotation block below. But please don't let that stop you to check out the blog.

The Station of K'aros
Update #3 - 06/23/2019
Welcome back for the third post here on the Grindlheim blog.
Last time I showed you the queue line of K'aros up to the point where guests finally enter the station building before taking a seat in the coaster. In todays post we continue from this point and take a look in and around the station of K'aros.

It's been a while since the last blog post. Much longer than I intended, I have to admit. I planned to release updates every two weeks or at least once per month but it just didn't work out during the last two months. Nevertheless, I continued working on Ri'kh's queue line and made very good progress, so much that it is completed. I hope that I will be able to update the blog a bit quicker next time. I still have a lot to show to you.

Now, please view the gallery below for a complete tour of the station of K'aros.

p3-1.jpg

We start our overview of the station where we ended the last post: At the last part of the queue line where it enters the station.

p3-2.jpg

And this is how the station looks from the inside. Like everything in Grindlheim it is completely themed from the roof to the ceiling.

p3-3.jpg

Guests enter the train from its right side. The stations's exit is located on the left of the track.

p3-4.jpg

K'aros' train has 9 rows and can fit up to 18 passengers.

p3-5.jpg

I finished this station nearly two years ago. Did I mention I'm working on this project for a long time now?

p3-6.jpg

Here you can see the operator's room on the right side of the picture. There are shelfs for bags on the left side of the track near the exit.

p3-7.jpg

Now we take a look at the exterior of the station building.

p3-8.jpg

The station is surrounded by the tracks of K'aros and Ri'kh on multiple levels.

p3-9.jpg

Here, a train is leaving the station and slowly making its way to the first launch.

p3-10.jpg

The little roofed bridge on the left leads from the exit of the coaster back to the main path. On the right side a train is waiting in the final break run to enter the station.

p3-11.jpg

The same side of the building from a guest's perspective.

p3-12.jpg

And this final picture completes today's tour in and around the station building. See you next time!

This looks really cool! I love the themeing of the park!
Thank you very much!

The First Launch of K'aros
In the last two blog posts we had a look at the queue line and station building of K'aros. Today we follow the K'aros experience by taking a seat in the coaster and checking out its first section starting at the station and leading up to the first launch.

The First Launch of K'aros
Update #4 - 08/05/2019
In the last two blog posts we had a look at the queue line and station building of K'aros. Today we follow the K'aros experience by taking a seat in the coaster and checking out its first section starting at the station and leading up to the first launch.

As ususal with Grindlheim, inspiration of this section was taken from Taron at Phantasialand. The coaster slowly leaves the station and makes its way around the first corners until it stops on the launch track. A synchronized soundtrack is being played throughout this part to raise the suspense before the sudden launch. I'm doing the same with K'aros but I added some extra effects. In Grindlheim the launches of K'aros are being powered by a huge steam machine located in the queue line. Right before the launch, dozens of triggered steam and sound effects raise the suspense even further. Getting all the effects to work was not an easy task because I ran into issues with the game not triggering some of them properly.

Please check out the gallery below for a picture-tour of K'aros' first launch.

p4-1.jpg

The train leaves the station...

p4-2.jpg

...and slowly meanders down the first section of track leading up to the first launch.

p4-3.jpg

Here K'aros crosses over Ri'kh before entering the launch building.

p4-4.jpg

We are coming close to the launch now.

p4-5.jpg

Just one more curve through this themed room.

p4-6.jpg

As the train is slowed down on the straight launch section, the machine's pistons and gears start to move.

p4-7.jpg

This is what the start of the launch section looks fom the outside. Underneath the launch lies the queue line of K'aros. Above, people can have a cup of coffee on the observation deck, but more of that in a later update.

p4-8.jpg

As the train slowly moves forward, the steam and sound effects start to play as well.

p4-9.jpg

Close to the launch the effects intensify and the machine starts to crack and rumble.

p4-10.jpg

And finally, the train is shot out of the launch building with a big blast of smoke.

p4-11.jpg

On the left side a path runs parallel to the launch so people can feel the power of the coaster when standing right next to it.

p4-12.jpg

The journey through Grindlheim begins.

K'aros Roast House
Grindlheim is built with a circular path surrounding the complete theme world with the two coasters located in the center. In today's blog post we have a closer look at the first section of this footpath which leads right through the K'aros coffee roast house.

Last edited:

K'aros Roast House Pt. 2
Today, we continue our tour in and around K'aros roast house. You get to see the rear of the building, the big waterfall K'aros rushes over with full speed right after the second launch, and the observation deck right next to the roast house which allows beatiful views down into Grindlheim. Go to my blog and you will find a little video of the waterfall in action!

Following the path to Ri'kh
In today's small update we once more continue our trip on the circular footpath surrounding Grindlheim and check out the theming elements, shops and facilities on the way which will lead us to Ri'kh eventually, the second coaster in the Grindlheim theme world.

This is very cool! Love the inspiration from Klügheim and the level of detail. 😁

Also I'm at Phantasialand on Saturday so it sets the mood really well. 😉

Thank you for your nice comments!

The Queue Line of Ri'kh
In the previous posts we followed the circular footpath from the entrance of K’aros to the opposite side of the area where the entrance to Ri’kh, the smaller, family friendly coaster of the two is situated. This time we continue and check out its complete, fully themed queue line.

Top Bottom