GTX 1080 vs RTX cards

I've had my GTX 1080 about 14 months now and due a bonus at work soon so wondering as a VIVE Pro user is an upgrade to an RTX series card going to be worth it?

I currently have an Intel 7700K and 16gb DDR4 RAM. What performance increase can I expect am I going to whack up super sampling and detail settings much more by investing in an RTX series GPU?

Ta

CMDR MuzzUK

I've had my GTX 1080 about 14 months now and due a bonus at work soon so wondering as a VIVE Pro user is an upgrade to an RTX series card going to be worth it?

I currently have an Intel 7700K and 16gb DDR4 RAM. What performance increase can I expect am I going to whack up super sampling and detail settings much more by investing in an RTX series GPU?

Ta

CMDR MuzzUK

Don’t buy anything right now!

:D

I also have a 1080 and nearly ordered a 2080ti last night. Thank god I didn’t! From what I can tell a 2080ti is around 50% more powerful than a GTX 1080. Think I’ll wait for the 2080 Super! A 2080Ti at 2080 prices.

Last edited:
New cards :eek:

Im grabbing a 2080Ti Super the second it drops

If it’s near 100% increase over the GTX 1080 (at 2080ti price) me too.

I’ll feel a bit guilty though. AMD starts to catch up and add competition then Nvidia unleashes the technology they have had up their sleeve for when some competition came along.

Intel got caught with their pants down. Nvidia has been caught hiding a shotgun if this is all true. Still buying a 2080 super though!

Buy EVGA and use their step-up scheme if they release a newer version within 3 months. I bought a 2080ti last week (although VR just killed it yesterday and I'm waiting for a replacement). If they release the Ti Super before August then I just pay the price difference or get a straight swap like I did with my 980ti to 1080.

And yes , going from a 1080 to 2080ti is worth it.

Buy EVGA and use their step-up scheme if they release a newer version within 3 months. I bought a 2080ti last week (although VR just killed it yesterday and I'm waiting for a replacement). If they release the Ti Super before August then I just pay the price difference or get a straight swap like I did with my 980ti to 1080

Nice 👍

As there are pretty much no games that take advantage of the new features in later architectures it's basically a raw tflops calculation versus currency... the above advice seems good to me!

I had a brand new PC built for me so went with the top GPU at the time.. the 2080Ti was rumoured inbound but I couldn't wait for it to drop...so I popped on an RTX2080 with 8GB latest VRAM and I am well happy at the improvement over my GTX980Ti..... (sometimes you can end up waiting forever for the next big thing to debut!)

o7

I’m wondering whether to just go for a 1080ti over.a 2080? Can’t really justify the 2080ti prices with the misses atm. Or maybe wait till later in the year when the prices start to balance out a bit

I’m wondering whether to just go for a 1080ti over.a 2080? Can’t really justify the 2080ti prices with the misses atm. Or maybe wait till later in the year when the prices start to balance out a bit

IF you can get a 1080ti for a couple hundred or more cheaper than than a 2080 sure but otherwise no.

I had a brand new PC built for me so went with the top GPU at the time.. the 2080Ti was rumoured inbound but I couldn't wait for it to drop...so I popped on an RTX2080 with 8GB latest VRAM and I am well happy at the improvement over my GTX980Ti..... (sometimes you can end up waiting forever for the next big thing to debut!)

o7
Just bit the bullet and ordered up an EVGA 2080ti to take the place of my gtx 960. Should see quite the improvement. I am slightly concerned as I see a number of people with heat issues. I don't overclock, though, so probably be fine.

Just bit the bullet and ordered up an EVGA 2080ti to take the place of my gtx 960. Should see quite the improvement. I am slightly concerned as I see a number of people with heat issues. I don't overclock, though, so probably be fine.
Gigabyte RTX2080 = cool as a cucumber! (can't answer for the Ti)

I have the same card and I haven't had a single issue with heat at stock settings.

Top Bottom