Guardian turrets only multicrew? Tell me this is not so.

I'm sure I saw a post on reddit that said the turret shard cannon did work in solo but only if you got in real close? Maybe one of the xeno veterans on here can confirm either way.
Well, range is stated as 1700, I think that means they only kick in at 850.
I was using them on my Asp Scout (hey, no laughing!) and was pretty much ramming Thargoid Scouts.
Honestly, I'm not sure they make a good turret weapon, ammo 180, clip 5. :(

The least FDev could do is to very clearly state in the game that a solo player cannot use these turrets as turrets, before they go grinding to acquire them.
It would be best to prevent them even from showing up in solo mode altogether.
I understand the latter would be problematic because of the way the game's modes are implemented, but if FDev wants to go this way, then I would prefer a completely separate solo mode to avoid confusion. I think this is a messy and very annoying implementation of these particular weapons.
We thank you for your service and leading the way. Your negative experience will undoubtedly improve our positive experiences.
Carry on cmdr!

Really no reason to have turreted plasma charger since it needs the trigger held down to charge it up and make it effective.

You see, that is important. That could be the technical reason I was referring too.
A.I. might be unable to use these weapons effectively for the reason you describe.
To me that is an acceptable excuse.

Last edited:
realistically not even a wing would use a turret, far better to bring an extra ship than have a manned turret!

That is true of the entire multicrew concept. It is always better to have 4 cmdrs in 4 ships than 4 cmdrs on one ship.
If one has to choose between 1 ship with 5 hardpoints, or 4 ships with 5 hardpoints, the choice is not difficult.
But people do not play multicrew for the reason of efficiency and effectiveness.
They might play multicrew because they like to play with others on the same ship.

Last edited:
Really no reason to have turreted plasma charger since it needs the trigger held down to charge it up and make it effective.

They didn't add them because of this; they are unable to program this response so just though; 'who cares about scrub solo players' and did the cheap/easy/lazy implementation we are used to from FD.

The easy way to sort this out is to have it work as a turret when you've got paid NPC multicrew on board.
And while Fdev are making changes, let the NPC's sit in the front seats with the grown ups.

The easy way to sort this out is to have it work as a turret when you've got paid NPC multicrew on board.
And while Fdev are making changes, let the NPC's sit in the front seats with the grown ups.

Yes, but if Captain Willard is right about the Turreted Plasma charger, and I think he is, then the AI might not be able to effectively control that type of turret.

NPC crew visible on the bridge would be awesome.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm sure I saw a post on reddit that said the turret shard cannon did work in solo but only if you got in real close? Maybe one of the xeno veterans on here can confirm either way.
Correct, it's the only turret that works when playing solo.

It's also laughably bad, replaced it with the fixed version straightaway and regretted wasting mats on them.

Maybe it's more effective for those 2.8 players that engage in multi crew, who knows.

Looking at it more optimistically, this year will focus on QoL updates. So I guess Frontier would also take a look at AX combat and probably introduce class 0 tiny hardpoints.

Yes, but if Captain Willard is right about the Turreted Plasma charger, and I think he is, then the AI might not be able to effectively control that type of turret.

NPC crew visible on the bridge would be awesome.
Fair point. - If it's beyond the AI to be able to use it effectively then best not to use it at all (or create better AI !)

Fair point. - If it's beyond the AI to be able to use it effectively then best not to use it at all (or create better AI !)

I definitely would like it if npc crew would be able to use these turrets.
As it is it would be nice if we got a more complete, more mature npc crew mechanic anyway.

We covered this in Lave Radio last week.

Yup. it's true.

The Turreted Guardian Plasma Charger, Flac and Flachette Cannons can only be used in Multi-crew. Otherwise they stay in forward only mode for the single crewed commander. For each of these weapons, it's listed in the weapon description in the outfitting screen.

I don't really have a problem with this. However, when unlocking the Guardian Plasma Charger, I only had enough Mats to unlock either the Fixed or Turreted Class 3s. There was nothing in the unlock description to say that the Turreted version was restricted to Multi-crew and I only found out After I 🤬 unlocked it 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

So I'm back at the 🤬 Guardian Ruins, getting more 🤬 Mats for the 🤬 fixed version and that's what I'm 🤬 annoyed about!!

Top Bottom