GUIDE: Planet sounds and how to know everything from System Map.

I'm getting the same thing. Music is unmuted and set to 0 so I don't have to hear it, stellar cartography is ON, and I'm not hearing anything.

My problem with these so far is that high metal content is winding up the same as rocky. I see that they're listed as both but that's also the problem :( If I could figure out why the sounds aren't working I could be more detailed about this. I've found a few planets just this past half hour that I thought would be high metal but turned out rocky.

Turn off your Exploration Music under your Audio settings. This will make it easier to hear. Then click on a planet or just hover over it in the Systems Map and zoom in to really hear the sounds the best...

This method has been rendered obsolete by 2.3's new holo scanner.

It is far, FAR easier to use this:

https://i.imgur.com/OA4JoAE.jpg
I've not seen this before either, thanks!

However, whilst it may be easier to use, it's not as accurate as the sounds. In fact, I now don't even need the sounds to distinguish between water world and earth-like, I've been out here so long Im tuned into the particular shades of blue and green of an Earth-like in the System Map. The audio is a nice, relaxing confirmation :)

I've not seen this before either, thanks!

However, whilst it may be easier to use, it's not as accurate as the sounds.

That's wrong. Can you provide a case in which the audio correctly identifies planets and the holo does not correctly identify them? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".

In fact, I now don't even need the sounds to distinguish between water world and earth-like

Besides ELWs and WWs being easily distinguishable on the system map, the holo scanner will identify which one you have, 100% of the time.

You've gotten good at using the audio. The holo viewer is going to be easier for almost everyone.

I'm getting the same thing. Music is unmuted and set to 0 so I don't have to hear it, stellar cartography is ON, and I'm not hearing anything.

On review of the settings it seems that the planet sounds are no longer classified as "Sound Effects" and are now classified as music, so if you have Music set to zero then you won't hear the sounds.

wzyshNq.png

That's wrong. Can you provide a case in which the audio correctly identifies planets and the holo does not correctly identify them? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".
Er, no it's not wrong, the answer is actually "yes". If I want to find an ELW, the audio will tell me definitivelyif it an ELW or not; the holo-graphic will only tell me if it is an ELW or AW, or something else, but can't distinguish between ELW or AW. With the audio every planet type has a different sound; not every plant type has a different holo-graphic, therefore the sounds are more accurate.

I note that the second holo-graphic (the Radio Sidewinder one, not the one you referenced) distinguishes between different atmosphere types for HMC and rocky bodies, which I don't know if the sounds do.

Besides ELWs and WWs being easily distinguishable on the system map, the holo scanner will identify which one you have, 100% of the time.

You've gotten good at using the audio. The holo viewer is going to be easier for almost everyone.
With the audio I don't need to leave the system map to confirm if it's a very blue WW or a true ELW, or in fact any other type of planet. To tell the difference between ELW and AW, or certain HMCs and rocky bodies, using the holo-graphic you have no alternative but to scan it or consult the system map. Easier is a subjective term.

But in the end this is splitting hairs - both methods add richness to the game, I'll probably use the holo-graphic chart for curiosity after using the system maps and sounds for verification. You'll probably do different - that's why they say "blaze your own trail."

Happy hunting :)

[..]With the audio I don't need to leave the system map to confirm if it's a very blue WW or a true ELW, or in fact any other type of planet. To tell the difference between ELW and AW, or certain HMCs and rocky bodies, using the holo-graphic you have no alternative but to scan it or consult the system map. Easier is a subjective term.[...]
This :)
Wish I could get the sounds working (or maybe it is working, but I just fail to hear the difference ;)).

There could be more depth to the holograms though, there are 5 different icons for HMC and 4 for rocky bodies and there is an overlap. I have gathered some information, but have not yet investigated which property causes the icon choice.

This :)
Wish I could get the sounds working (or maybe it is working, but I just fail to hear the difference ;)).

There could be more depth to the holograms though, there are 5 different icons for HMC and 4 for rocky bodies and there is an overlap. I have gathered some information, but have not yet investigated which property causes the icon choice.
I haven't got any music or sounds disabled in the options. I can only hear the planet sounds if I zoom in close (on my setup that's using the mouse wheel) and turn the overall system volume up.

Wouldn't it be great if scanning caused the holo-graphic to become closer to what the planet really looks like!

Top Bottom