Guide to seeing the Thargoid Machine go "medieval" on Guardian tech

n5MDCq6.png

So yeah ... if you fancy witnessing the above for yourself then here's how.

You're going to need:

1 x SRV
1 x AMFU (optional)
1 x corrosion resistant cargo rack (optional)
1 x normal cargo rack
1 x Guardian item of your choosing (later)
1 x Thargoid Sensor (later)
1 x Thargoid Link (later)

The good news is that you don't need a Thargoid Probe (unless you also want to see the Thargoid Machine's planetarium lightshow). This is good news because they're a pain to get hold of while all the other stuff is pretty easy.

First of all head off to one of the Guardian ruins. There's a list of them over here:

http://www.nusantara.com.my/EliteDangerous/ruins1.html

Bear in mind that your next stop will be HIP 17403 so pick one of the systems that's closest to that (sorry, don't currently have an optimal suggestion).

When you get there and have landed at the appropriate co-ordinates ..

n.b. this might come in handy!
XR1wD1H.jpg
.. you can just drive around the site in your SRV and collect the first Guardian item you found (relic, orb, tablet, totem, urn or casket).

Next head to the Thargoid crash-site in HIP 17403 on planet A 4 A at co-ordinates -34.9831, -141.4127. Deploy the SRV and go and scoop up a Thargoid Sensor (they're lying around making spooky noises near the core of the alien ship).

Now, this thing will corrode your ship. There are three ways of dealing with that.

1) do the next bit FAST!
2) carry an AMFU and use it to make damn sure the integrity of your cargo hold doesn't drop much below 75% (otherwise all your cargo will fall out and you'll be back to square one).
3) do the whole Palin engineer rep' grind thing and get yourself a corrosion resistant cargo rack

I guess I'd recommend option 2 unless you already have the Palin rack.

Now fly to an "active" Thargoid base of your choice. There's a nice interactive 3D map of these over here (the "active" sites are marked in red):

https://map.canonn.technology/ts/

Land at the site, deploy the SRV and transfer your Thargoid Sensor and your item of Guardian tech into its cargo hold. Drive to one of the circular iris-doors in the outside of the base and say "open sesame" (actually, it's having the Thargoid item in your cargo that causes the door to open). Drive inside and navigate your way to the Thargoid Machine in its central chamber.

There you'll see three sparkly holographic images, each with a strange kind of alien ramp leading up to it. When you drive up the ramp the hologram in front of it resolves into an image of the thing it wants.

Find the one for the Thargoid Sensor, drive up the ramp until you're parked directly over the green hole and then jettison the Sensor into it. The hologram should disappear and the Sensor should end up dangling in its place on a piece of Thargoid Thread(TM).

Now find the hologram for the Thargoid Probe and jettison the Guardian item in its place.

Lastly you need to go and grab a Thargoid Link. Drive back to the circular outer passageway and take one of the exits that leads down rather than up. At the bottom you'll see three Thargoid Alcoves(TM). Drive up to one and a Thargoid Link should drop down from the ceiling above you on more Thargoid Thread(TM). You should NOT fit the Thargoid Link over either your own nose and mouth nor those of any children sitting next to you.

VBrWfTW.png

Simply scoop it up and drive back to the central chamber again.

Note: if a tendril drops down from the celing but has no Thargoid Link attached to it then you've hit what I suspect may be a bug (I'm afraid this happens quite often). The easiest way to fix this seems to be to mode-switch (i.e. log out to the main menu and then log in again in a different mode). For safety I took all my stuff back to my ship and flew to a safe distance before doing this. This was a pain in the butt and may not actually be necsssary.

Once you're back in the central chamber jettison the Thargoid Link into the final hole and then retreat to a safe distance ('cos some serious shizzle is about to hit the fan).

Scan the Thargoid Machine!

Note #1: The scavengers will turn ugly and start to attack you so probably best to deploy the SRV's turret and pick them off before settling back to take any selfies. Probably a good idea to set full pips to shields once you've dealt with the scavengers too!

Note #2: All three items will ultimately be destroyed by the machine!

o7

Addendum: How to see the Thargoid Machine's planetarium lightshow!

OK, so for this you're going to need a Thargoid Probe which is slightly trickier to get hold of.

The method I recommend is to just keep dropping into Threat Level 5/6/7 NHSS (non-human signal sources) while flying around the Pleiades in Supercruise. As soon as you drop into normal space fly towards any debris you see and check your contacts panel. If there's no Thargoid Probe listed then get the hell out of there asap. If there is then you need to scoop it up quickly (I guess using a Collector Limpet to grab it is another option).

Note: you might have to visit a dozen or more instances before you find one.

You may well run into Thargoid ships while doing this so it's best not to be carrying anything that excites them or they might attack (I lost a Python on my first attempt because I was already carrying a Thargoid Sensor).

For this reason I recommend changing the order you collect things. So get the Probe first, then the Sensor (from the crash site), then some Guardian tech. Unfortunately this makes the journey a fair bit longer (Thargoid space for Probe and Sensor, then Guardian space for Ancient ruins then back to Thargoid space for the base) and also means you'll be carrying corrosive cargo for longer!

Once you've got a Probe, a Sensor and a Guardian item head to the base as normal. First of all take the Probe and the Sensor and put them into their respective slots. Then go and get the Link and drop that into the last slot. Proceed as before and witness the lightshow (which does not destroy the items but simply pops them back out of the machine at the end). Now you can go back to the ship (remembering to take one Thargoid item with you to open the door but leave the fox and the bag of grain behind), grab your Guardian item and head back inside to carry out the steps in the main post above.

Last edited:
Note: if a tendril drops down from the celing but has no Thargoid Link attached to it then you've hit what I suspect may be a bug...

If you did this in open, it might(!) just be the usual problem with spawning of collectables in open instances, i.e. someone else was there before you and picked up whatever there was to be found. I've had this happen on Guardian sites, Dav's Hope or in the attcked stations in the Pleiades.

Although now I remember that during the 2.2 (IIRC) beta on the Guardian sites, I had a similar bug that items that should have been there didn't spawn. Thought that was fixed for the 2.2 release.

In any case: thanks a lot for that guide. I even got a resistant cargo rack around somewhere.

If you did this in open, it might(!) just be the usual problem with spawning of collectables in open instances, i.e. someone else was there before you and picked up whatever there was to be found.

It was in Open but I think the chances of someone else having been to all three of the different Thargoid Bases I tried (before I finally resorted to eurgh mode-switching) must be pretty slim. I googled it in the end and it seems like it's a really common problem.

That's awesome, I didn't even imagine there are such things in the game. I'm totally noob in this matter, but how the heck are you managing to find this?
Sometimes I feel like I don't play the same game at all than all of you here.
But anyway, thanks for sharing [up]

That's awesome, I didn't even imagine there are such things in the game. I'm totally noob in this matter, but how the heck are you managing to find this?
Sometimes I feel like I don't play the same game at all than all of you here.
I've been playing for 3 years now and am an absolutely avid follower of the forums, youtube, facebook, etc (click my signature image for some of the stuff I've picked up along the way) so, errr, yeah ... I've picked up a lot of stuff along the way.

The game itself is notoriously bad for signposting everything that's out there in the galaxy (and it's a BIG galaxy) so I've come to accept that a bit of out-of-game research is necesssary.

But anyway, thanks for sharing [up]
Not a problem ... in fact you're exactly the reason I wrote this post. Believe it or not, visiting the Thargoid bases is kinda old news! I've done this once before last year but fancied doing it again and decided to document the process for people who are new(ish) to the game or just missed this stuff (or never figured out how to do it) the first time around.

If you're up for it then I definitely recommend giving this a try tho ... it's incredibly atmospheric and a real spectacle when it all kicks off!

Post back in here if you do and let us know how you got on.

o7

Thanks Alec,

I must say that I play the game since March 2015 now (with some break eventually). But I have to admit I don't spend as many time as you on forums. And honestly I don't have the patience to search so well hided secrets on ressources out-of-game. So, in a way, I play for a long time, but still play "casually".
I just found my first organic structure yesterday, and encountered my first Thargoïd one week ago [blah], so, you see, I take my time [smile]

If you're up for it then I definitely recommend giving this a try tho ... it's incredibly atmospheric and a real spectacle when it all kicks off!

Sure, I will do it in time [yesnod]

Thanks Alec,

I must say that I play the game since March 2015 now (with some break eventually). But I have to admit I don't spend as many time as you on forums. And honestly I don't have the patience to search so well hided secrets on ressources out-of-game. So, in a way, I play for a long time, but still play "casually".
I just found my first organic structure yesterday, and encountered my first Thargoïd one week ago [blah], so, you see, I take my time [smile]

I thoroughly approve of people taking their time with this game, to do anything else would be like skipping to the end of a good book!

Setting full power to your SRV shields is also recommended prior to starting this s--t show.

It also bears worth mentioning the entire spectacle is limited to the interior of the thargoid facility. Outside, it's pretty much like nothing happened. The only thing I've not tested is if there is any noticeable activity when sitting in the top center of one of these facilities.

Setting full power to your SRV shields is also recommended prior to starting this s--t show.

Good point, I forgot!

2ijLNqv.png
Which leads me to another tip ... remember where you parked your ship, you may need to get back there in a hurry!

:p

Last edited:
yep done this and the light show and it is spectacular

https://i.imgur.com/KtJ3sat.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/xmgq9az.jpg

Nice! I guess I should add a footnote to the OP about getting the lightshow. I'll do that tomorrow. I left it out because what started this was a personal revelation that you could witness some really cool stuff at the Thargoid base with faffing around trying to collect a Thargoid Probe.

P.S. could you maybe wrap those images in spoiler tags, I don't want to give too much away here as I'd like people to go and experience this for themselves. I deliberately picked an image for the OP which had a slight teaser quality to it (I should probably spoiler the image in post #9 tho).

Nice! I guess I should add a footnote to the OP about getting the lightshow. I'll do that tomorrow. I left it out because what started this was a personal revelation that you could witness some really cool stuff at the Thargoid base with faffing around trying to collect a Thargoid Probe.

P.S. could you maybe wrap those images in spoiler tags, I don't want to give too much away here as I'd like people to go and experience this for themselves. I deliberately picked an image for the OP which had a slight teaser quality to it (I should probably spoiler the image in post #9 tho).

no problem spoilers added

I've been playing for 3 years now and am an absolutely avid follower of the forums, youtube, facebook, etc (click my signature image for some of the stuff I've picked up along the way) so, errr, yeah ... I've picked up a lot of stuff along the way.

The game itself is notoriously bad for signposting everything that's out there in the galaxy (and it's a BIG galaxy) so I've come to accept that a bit of out-of-game research is necesssary.

Not a problem ... in fact you're exactly the reason I wrote this post. Believe it or not, visiting the Thargoid bases is kinda old news! I've done this once before last year but fancied doing it again and decided to document the process for people who are new(ish) to the game or just missed this stuff (or never figured out how to do it) the first time around.

Post back in here if you do and let us know how you got on.

o7

Thanks for posting Alec, much appreciated. Like you I've been playing a while and did all the Guardian sites and Thargoid ships and "caves" but it is a good refresher and concise intro for new players. Cheers for that... I enjoyed another visit to the Thargy lightshow. It's a real shame that after all the trouble FD and the Dev's have gone to in providing these experiences.... they go hide their light under a bushel and don't really advertise it all in-game.... there have got to be many commanders that just completely miss out on these things through no fault of their own.. Rep +1 sir!

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt, but what does that light show reveal?

The light show itself doesn't tell you anything... however, you'll get some stuff in your inbox, that in conjunction with the Thargoid Link can be used to find other sites. It's quite a process, and ridiculously impossible to manage to figure it out all on your own... but it was still a ton of fun. I even managed "first discovery" on a couple of the Thargoid sites!

Here's roughly what you do:

* Activate the light show. You'll get three new things in your inbox. Don't delete them!
* Go into space. Drop the thargoid link. Get right up next to it, in front of the "dish".
* Play one of your inbox messages.
* The thargoid link will activate and start transmitting data.
* Listen carefully to the sounds and high-low patterns. Write it all down. (Capturing video is helpful here because then you can go through it at your own pace).
* These are thargoid numbers, and represent distances from specific locations. But fortunately someone already made a calculator and you just feed the data in. (Although I can't seem to find it now)
* If you did everything right, you'll pinpoint a new system to visit.
* Go there, and drop the link again. Play the message again, but keep your distance.
* If you've got the right system, the link will shoot out a beam pointing directly to the site.
* Pack up the link, follow the beam to the planet it pointed at.
* Repeat the above, until you get close enough to see the site from space.
* Congratulations!

Last edited:
Good talk through on this.

I did the upset the machine routine but didn't realise how upset it might get, and had my SRV systems and life support destroyed.
It was good while I lasted.

Edit: +1 virtual rep

Many thanks. With new content this week have been looking for a reason to get back into ED. This gives it me. Will be dusting off my hotas tonight :)

Hopefully 3.0 won't affect any of this. It's a really good adventure and will get you nicely back into playing.

Top Bottom