Half-Life: Alyx

Btw. this is another astonishing thing with this game, it's like a giant sandbox. In fact I think I won't play with wife as a spectator on the first playthrough, because I am constantly finding new things to fiddle with. And knowing cirillic it's hilarious to read some of the notes :) For example in the elevator: work smart, not hard: 1st make a list of tasks to do, 2. delegate them to your friends, 3. delegate whats left ;-)))). So I'm stopping every two steps just taking the world in. It's amazeballs.

Some might get their wish. I am sure they will then bash Alyx for the "shallow experience" it was to them. Meanwhile I will be busy throwing things in the air and shooting them and then catching them again 😎

Just played about 20 minutes of it... gosh darn it's realistic... freakish real. And it runs really great on my undersized VR PC as well. It complained about the memory at start, but haven't really experienced any lag or glitch. Had to stop playing because it was freaking me out a bit.

Only thing is, I wish you could open cans, bottles, books, etc. Is there a way and I haven't figured it out yet?

Opening books would open a can of worms... pardon the horrible pun. The only thing I was able to do with the cans is to squish them. Also wanted to open one. Pity.

Played a few hours now, and it's just so good. Really has the vibe of its predecessors, and the sounds, design and controller vibrations of the health dispensers: Genius. The bigger head crabs: Really tough and scary. Got stuck once or twice. Died a few times. Very, very immersive.
I think that there's a significant ramping up of tension and stress in VR when compared to regular screen gaming, and it's definitely present here. The fear is palpable, especially when you meet each type of mob for the first few times. It does get a little easier once you know what to expect. Not with the big head crabs though! 😱
Loving it, and a perfectly timed release for lockdown!!
o7
PS Another panic-inducing threat are the bladed drones. Eeesh! 😂

I’m rationing myself to about an hour a day, and to be honest after today’s Survival Horror session of shooting Jump Turkeys in the dark with my torch beam and rapidly diminishing supply of bullets (and one shotgun cartridge)...an hour is about enough 😅

I'm nearly at the end of my first playthrough, so will be looking forward to a more relaxed one a little later.
Everything about the game has been fun - frustrating when you watch the attempt counter getting in double figures, but it make the game longer :) - and the detail in-game is amazing!
I too spent a few minutes at the beginning of the game scrawling graffiti on the windows of the greenhouse :devilish:

Just started today. It's great but ... is anyone else finding that it crashes a lot ... I'm experiencing some kind of crash every 10 to 15 minutes which I have to say is somewhat taking the edge off my first impression.

First thing I'm gonna do is update my nVidia 1080 drivers 'cos I've been hanging on to some stable but fairly old ones.

First thing I'm gonna do is update my nVidia 1080 drivers 'cos I've been hanging on to some stable but fairly old ones.
No crashes during 2h of play. Nvidia released a driver tailored to HL:Alyx so it's more than recommended to upgrade. Also... I've been updating my drivers on the fly since forever, never had a real problem with them. Install GeForce Experience and just let it do its job :) I'm on a 1080Ti.

Just started today. It's great but ... is anyone else finding that it crashes a lot ... I'm experiencing some kind of crash every 10 to 15 minutes which I have to say is somewhat taking the edge off my first impression.

There was a launch-day driver update for Nvidia cards, optimised for Alyx, allegedly.
It has been very stable for me, but others have said the Drivers help when things aren't going as they should (I updated while the game was unpacking).

Top Bottom