Handling Fleet Carriers in 2018 - Fleet Carrier Concept

This concept has received far more attention than I expected. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It has become my most popular Youtube video ever, by almost double the views.

Over 15,000 views on Youtube and counting. Posted on Reddit and here... Yet not a peep from Frontier themselves. Why?

I'm still seeing this more as a "rental" type thing - whatever makes up a squadron - probably 4 wings, someone will be designated as Squadron Leader, and that person will get to fit the bill to "rent" a carrier, a megaship type structure, pick a destination from a menu, and it will jump the sqaud to that location - and that would be about the end of it.

It's likely they would not be owned by any player, merely instructed by one.

I don't like the idea of borrowing or renting a capital ship. It should be owned by the Squadron. Then people are more attached and vested into it. They said it would do more than just move Squadron members around space. It'll be a massive mobile base.

Over 15,000 views on Youtube and counting. Posted on Reddit and here... Yet not a peep from Frontier themselves. Why?

They did respond on Reddit I think.

Last edited:
Well thought out, if perhaps a bit of a large order. But hopefully many of these ideas will be either "borrowed" or serve as inspiration. There seems to be alot of unique programming for the functions of this carrier concept, which i hope will not scare the dev's away, however if one could implement perhaps half of the ideas, while continuing to work on the other parts for the next years worth of updates.

This would make for a serious boost to mining in unexploited systems, and could have some wonderful compliments to exploration.

Also particularly interested in the other comments with suggestions such as superpower variations, and some NPC carriers for those that only play solo.

I'm still seeing this more as a "rental" type thing - whatever makes up a squadron - probably 4 wings, someone will be designated as Squadron Leader, and that person will get to fit the bill to "rent" a carrier, a megaship type structure, pick a destination from a menu, and it will jump the sqaud to that location - and that would be about the end of it.

It's likely they would not be owned by any player, merely instructed by one.

Time will tell though, a lot of it, but this is one hype train I wouldn't board for free.

If they implement something as mundane as a rent-a-home .. it'll mean (to me at least) that Frontier haven't learned a thing over the years, don't take player desires into account and are hell-bent on making some random game nobody* really wants. My support for the game at that point will likely plummet into nothingness and I'll be relegated to the SC corner, waiting impatiently for a space game -that aims to create a sandbox environment with a huge amount of player-choice- to arrive with a slow but steady fear creeping up on me that CR has taken on too big a project.

* By nobody, I'm of course using hyperbole.

Last edited:
Great idea. Always good to see fellow commanders who don't subscribe to the "this is not ED" school of thinking when it comes to new features.

We as players need to have some stake in what we do in the game to remain motivated, and this is an excellent way of doing it.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If they implement something as mundane as a rent-a-home .. it'll mean (to me at least) that Frontier haven't learned a thing over the years, don't take player desires into account and are hell-bent on making some random game nobody* really wants.

* By nobody, I'm of course using hyperbole.

Not everyone wants the same things from the game, therefore not all players' desires can be simultaneously satisfied.

Not everyone wants the same things from the game, therefore not all players' desires can be simultaneously satisfied.

Granted; but my point, if I may put it another way...

I feel if Frontier create a more "rent-a-home" feature as opposed to what OP created here, then their approach is this:
1.jpg
instead of this:
1a.jpg

It's "we can't cater for everyone, so lets make it as simple as possible" instead of "let's cater for as many people as possible, make it as great as possible and then look at how we can cater for other players in a different area, either as a stand-alone, or perhaps supporting feature for this feature."

For example, CIG have a stream where they talk about base building in SC. Just looking at that up-coming feature shows me they are trying to cater for as many people as possible; and for those that can't be catered for, well, there are plenty of other activities to do; they are aware this is a reality, and the player-base is aware of that.

They allow you to obtain a piece of land on a planet or moon; and the way they designed base building takes into account different preferences.
Such as:
* some people might want to create a base, with an amazing view, just to relax each day. You can do that.
* some people might just want to buy a piece of land and hold onto it; waiting for the price to increase and sell it off.
* some people might want to buy up land around their mining operation to increase it's land value and then sell that off to players
* some people might want a science station. So you build a science module.
* some people might want to make a moisture farm
* some people might want to make a small trade hub in the system
* some people might want to do a bit of each and it's as simple as constructing a new module to support it
* some organisations might want to make their headquarters on a particular spot
* some organisations might want to give away parcels of land to members in a contest, or as a retirement bonus or whatever through deed transfers
and so on.
To top it all off, they are introducing a dedicated settlement ship for this job.

If Frontier implement "rent-a-home" .. then, to me and using the above example, Frontier's approach would basically be:
* you have a piece of land, you get a module on your current ship and you can build a mining outpost on that land and you can add one or two modules for the base after grinding from X and no you can't transfer it - btw, it'll take a week or more to appear in game and it'll be immortal because players don't like having their e-stuff broken/stolen. The end.

Frontier don't seem to go the extra mile in ED. The only thing I'm truly impressed with, that is clear they went above and beyond, is the planet-tech (barring the beige issue, lol) and the character creator. I feel those are basically "look, this is what Frontier is really capable of."

I'm truly hoping for a year of much higher quality content than before. With well fleshed out ideas that show they worked really really hard to bring something that caters to as many people as possible.

Side note: Please don't read this as if I'm complaining, or whining, I'm not.

Last edited:
On the whole good ideas, but I seriously doubt that there will be a commodities market as this could be abused with the BGS. But I can certainly see repair and refuel, maybe even missions, again as long as they don't effect the BGS and some cool management systems too.

Granted; but my point, if I may put it another way...

I feel if Frontier create a more "rent-a-home" feature as opposed to what OP created here, then their approach is this:
instead of this:

It's "we can't cater for everyone, so lets make it as simple as possible" instead of "let's cater for as many people as possible, make it as great as possible and then look at how we can cater for other players in a different area, either as a stand-alone, or perhaps supporting feature for this feature."

For example, CIG have a stream where they talk about base building in SC. Just looking at that up-coming feature shows me they are trying to cater for as many people as possible; and for those that can't be catered for, well, there are plenty of other activities to do; they are aware this is a reality, and the player-base is aware of that.

They allow you to obtain a piece of land on a planet or moon; and the way they designed base building takes into account different preferences.
Such as:
* some people might want to create a base, with an amazing view, just to relax each day. You can do that.
* some people might just want to buy a piece of land and hold onto it; waiting for the price to increase and sell it off.
* some people might want to buy up land around their mining operation to increase it's land value and then sell that off to players
* some people might want a science station. So you build a science module.
* some people might want to make a moisture farm
* some people might want to make a small trade hub in the system
* some people might want to do a bit of each and it's as simple as constructing a new module to support it
* some organisations might want to make their headquarters on a particular spot
* some organisations might want to give away parcels of land to members in a contest, or as a retirement bonus or whatever through deed transfers
and so on.
To top it all off, they are introducing a dedicated settlement ship for this job.

If Frontier implement "rent-a-home" .. then, to me and using the above example, Frontier's approach would basically be:
* you have a piece of land, you get a module on your current ship and you can build a mining outpost on that land and you can add one or two modules for the base after grinding from X and no you can't transfer it - btw, it'll take a week or more to appear in game and it'll be immortal because players don't like having their e-stuff broken/stolen. The end.

Frontier don't seem to go the extra mile in ED. The only thing I'm truly impressed with, that is clear they went above and beyond, is the planet-tech (barring the beige issue, lol) and the character creator. I feel those are basically "look, this is what Frontier is really capable of."

I'm truly hoping for a year of much higher quality content than before. With well fleshed out ideas that show they worked really really hard to bring something that caters to as many people as possible.

Side note: Please don't read this as if I'm complaining, or whining, I'm not.

A lot of hard-to-read that has nothing to do with Carriers, about which we still know nothing at all.

But I did gather that you either like your things stolen or broken or like stealing or breaking other peoples' things.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

But I did gather that you either like your things stolen or broken or like stealing or breaking other peoples' things.
Nobody likes having their stuff stolen/broken.
However, I dislike immortal bases even more.
In UEE space (Star Citizen), your land will be protected by the police, and you can set up scanners/defenses etc. However, it can still get stolen/broken - there's just a better chance of it not happening in safe space.
Outside UEE space, it's wild west and you can still have scanners/defenses to assist. But, you take the risk.

That to me is immersive and inviting.
I'm strongly in favour of that type of game play.

And no, it has nothing to do with carriers .. I was using it as an example to show the difference between CIG's level of planning, and Frontiers. Hoping to highlight how CIG goes to lengths to try to include as many people as possible in a feature, yet still thinks features for the outliers who might be all that interested in the main feature itself.

Maybe I waffled for a bit. :p

Last edited:
That's bloody brilliant, OP. You fixed the game.

I just saw the video on youtube and came here to search for this thread just to say "thank you". If frontier doesn't try to hire you, I hope they will at least try to learn from your video.

Instead of being critical of Frontier, I'm offering a detailed concept, with mock up images, on how I'd like FD to implement fleet carriers in 2018. As said in the video, this is my opinion, what I want to see and I'm not claiming I speak for everybody.

Mods, I'd appreciate it very much if you could please let this run for a while in dangerous discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arhWcrGSp8

The concept covers:
  • Outfitting
  • Module Attachments
  • Storage
  • NPC Crew Positions
  • Squadron Goals
  • Squadron Missions
  • Carrier Damage and Consequence
  • Carrier Relocation
  • Livery

I'd like to address the following issues:
  • Content, challenge, reward for end game players
  • Material, data, credit and time sinks
  • Player storage limits
  • Player custom home bases of operations
  • Conveniences and costs associated with them
  • Keeping players of different skill levels and play times together

Hopefully this sparks some more ideas and debate and it would be interesting to see what others think.

Thanks go to CMDR Ashelai and CMDR Porky McBacon for their input.

Nice, I guess they will be no different than mega ships, IE... made up without new stress on the limited budget, entirely from already made 3d parts of stations and existing modeling. Make the game on the cheap at every turn. No surprises.

Top Bottom