Harmless restricted systems will be ganked to death

Lestat

Banned
Unless FDev restricts it so if you gain a rank of any kind on your entire account you will no longer be granted access to the starter systems, you'd have to buy the game again each time you want to cause havoc in the starter systems.
My guess you are on a Console game system? I am on a PC. I have 3 accounts. Each restarted a few times. There a feature on mine if I want to restart. I click Option and Clear Save and look I am in a Sidewinder with 1000 credits. If I use my main account. Hey look I am in a Cobra or Eagle. So I could do like the Op suggested and gank them.

People will do it, because that's people. If it reduces the amount at CGs and the engineers then good.

I think it will be too much effort for most, and if they buy more accounts then that's good for the game overall.

The other thing to note is that it's systems plural, so there might not even be one place they start, making it even harder.

I guess the real test will be how good can you make your ship without gaining any rank at all?

We'll see. Biggest problem with ganking are asymmetrical ship loadouts, something that will not exist in the newcomer systems. There will be no engineered death machines. Sure, people like besieger are good enough to gank someone in a stock Sidewinder but he'll either need to reset his account or buy a 2nd account first. I guess police response is way more problematic in stock ships.
What I don't understand is how they'll make sure that you leave once you earned a rank. The most simple solution would be a one way road that doesn't allow you to jump back after you visited another system. But that doesn't stop anyone from just staying there. So the game would somehow need to force you out of the system, either by teleport or by threatening you with ship destruction if you don't leave within a given timeframe (I guess that would be quite annyoing as a new player experience).

So...

A pvper likes to test his skills, a ganker to demonstrate his cowardice.

You might as well be both, skilled and a coward. Still the difference is there.

Anyway the thread is not about it so p*** off.
You're the one that brought it up.

Is it cowardly to mine salt?

And how is one supposed to find good pews if one isn't willing to gank everyone and find out?

Hellrazor regularly goes into starter systems to help noobs. Baby got tossed out with bathwater.

Umm Hellrazor can still help out the newbies (they are not noobs, but newbies, big difference). Only thing that is different is the newbies will have to leave the system to meet up with Hellrazor. Nothing has been stated about when a newbie can leave the starter system, only that once they get their first promotion they can't go back.

What game are you playing? Really..

Good thinking FD. The harmless systems will become ganking only zones with people continuously resetting their accounts to gank in sidewinders and new players will abandon the game in an heartbeat.

I suggest to put a BIG WARNING telling them not to start the game in OPEN.

So, just an observation.

To begin with he "Beginners-focused" update is a very good idea, since Elite has terrible player retention. It's good for the community, for more people remain in the game, and it's good fro Frontier, for more people will keep playing/paying and suggest others to get the game. Win win.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong. We're told that:

The aim of the update is to make things a little easier initially for new players so they can get to grips with things. It's something we'll be keeping a close eye on to make sure it's all working as intended and your feedback will continue to be really helpful after it launches.

Part of the update is the new beginner areas, precluded to all but zeroeth-rank CMDRs.

What could the motivation of this gated communities be? How does it make it easier? Well, since the interactions (direct or indirect) that the game affords between CMRDs are rather limited (so that, for ex. it's not possible for an experienced BHer to "clean up" the system, leaving no baddies for the newbie to hunt down) it seems pretty obvious that we're talking of more experienced CMDRs hunting the new guys, or the well-known phenomenon of sealclubbing. This seems to be confirmed by last year's C&P update which introduced the mechanic for which an higher bounty is received if a very expensive ship blows up a very cheap one. That is: FDev know about the sealclubbing issue.

So far, so good.

My point is: this is another bandaid over, and not a solution for, the sealclubbing/griefing problem. "Instead of designing a punishment/NPC police system that really works (real high-sec areas) against something we do realise is a real problem (although we don't like to talk about it: sealclubbers are paying customers too), something which would take a lot of time and work -- let's just stop the baddies from coming in! Problem solved".

I think the feedback offered in this thread shows that it will not quite solve the problem. If i am dedicated enough to saltmining to fly around Eravate looking for SIdewinders, it really takes little effort to just use a fresh account, especially on consoles where having a new account takes no effort at all.

As that guy said: "Never half-a$s two things. Whole-a$s one thing". Not sure Frontier got that particular memo.

I guess the real test will be how good can you make your ship without gaining any rank at all?
If I read it right, you can access Elvira Martuuk without gaining any ranks (and only her). That would allow you to g5 your FSD, g3 your shield gen, g2 your thrusters and g1 your shield cell bank. You also aren't allowed to earn more then 5000 cr by Trade or more than 40000 cr by Exploration. No idea if any cr you can make don't count against a rank ... Hmmm, sounds like fun :ROFLMAO:

For what gain? Once they'd gain a Combat rank they're out of there, only to reset and do it again and never actually gaining anything. If someone made an alt account for doing that, then they're really wasting more than just time for nothing, money as well...
We already have gankers who get entertainment out of flying extreme distance just to needlessly destroy explorers.

You think a reset, positioning them right back in seal clubbing central will be an issue to them?

If I read it right, you can access Elvira Martuuk without gaining any ranks (and only her). That would allow you to g5 your FSD, g3 your shield gen, g2 your thrusters and g1 your shield cell bank. You also aren't allowed to earn more then 5000 cr by Trade or more than 40000 cr by Exploration. No idea if any cr you can make don't count against a rank ... Hmmm, sounds like fun :ROFLMAO:

An experienced PvPer can easily blow up a freshly hatched Sidewinder with a stock Sidewinder without giving the new guy time to wake away. The rank/money problem is really immaterial.

Perhaps the most elegant solution would have been to put players with brand-new accounts into a "silent" Private Group where they think they're playing in Open but will only meet other players who have brand-new accounts. Even dedicated gankers would surely get tired of constantly buying brand-new accounts, and if there were a few who could afford it - well, more money for Frontier!

A small number of restricted systems with protected newbies is easier to monitor than newbies prancing around open space without guidance or protection. All it needs is a rule that ganking in these systems will render your account void.

Top Bottom