Has anyone gone to Colonia, just for the shield cell upgrade?

I must be mad, but I am considering going to Colonia, for the Shield Cell upgrade.
Part of the appeal is trying out neutron star jumps for the first time, and just to have something different to do.
Am I right in thinking IF I do this, I could self destruct, and respawn back in the bubble? Or would I respawn at the engineer base in Colonia?
Also would I need to take all the shield cells I want to upgrade with me, so I can add the experimental effects. Or could I just pin the blueprint (and hope that it sticks) and do the upgrades back home in the bubble, including the experimental effects?
I've got a 70 LY Annie to make the trip with.
If anyone wants to talk me out of this, then feel free.

You can add experimentals at any engineer that can do at least G1 on the module, regardless of the grade you currently have on it.

To suicidewinder back you would buy a Sidewinder there, destroy it however, then choose the loaner Sidewinder from the rebuy screen, leaving your Conda there.

You can add experimentals at any engineer that can do at least G1 on the module, regardless of the grade you currently have on it.

To suicidewinder back you would buy a Sidewinder there, destroy it however, then choose the loaner Sidewinder from the rebuy screen, leaving your Conda there.
So I could remote upgrade a cell in the bubble, then add the experimental effect at an engineer in the bubble?
Why leave the Annie there?
Surely it would cost more to have it transferred back home?

Last edited:
So I could remote upgrade a cell in the bubble, then add the experimental effect at an engineer in the bubble?
Why leave the Annie there?
Surely it would cost more to have it transferred back home?
Yes on the remote engineer in bubble then add experimental in bubble. You can G5 a PP and PD remotely then go to Marco Qwent to add experimental effects even though he can't do G5 to either. It's no different with Colonia Engineer's blueprints.

Attack Chimp covered the other part.

no
the only way to respawn in the bubble is to take the free sidewinder - which means you have to lose the Annie for good
if you pay the insurance for Annie, you respawn at the last port you docked

I would suggest kitting out a much cheaper ship if you plan a suicide return and not going back there for a while. DBX will comfortable hit 70ly with a little tweaking.

Hmmmm
What if I only land at the engineers base on the planet, and not at any space station.
Then reload the game as non horizons, then self destruct my Annie?
Would I respawn back in the bubble?

Yep, I've gone for the blueprints, and many more have. Was my third trip corewards. First was exploring in the old days, second was for a CG, now third for the engineers.

Well, while you are in Colonia you could stop for a while and help bring the engineer grades up a bit... There is a very nice Anarchy system called Carcosa that would welcome you and your assistance.

(Telling you for a friend)

definitely don't go in an annie

i left mine there not realizing it was a 660 mil shipment cost back, so probs one day i'll hop back out there in a throwaway hauler or something to fetch it

use a disposable aspX or DBX or something. Whatever the minimum you need to unlock the engineer is (I can't remember what the unlock was but since I was in a well equipped annie I didn't even worry about this).

then you can suicidey back to bubble without leaving a ton of important modules and a large ship behind like I did foolishly

Last edited:
Hmmmm
What if I only land at the engineers base on the planet, and not at any space station.
Then reload the game as non horizons, then self destruct my Annie?
Would I respawn back in the bubble?
Interesting idea. Try it and let us know.

I've read that Annies are easier to neutron jump, as there is much less turbulence when in the neutron star jets, and DB'S and Asps are harder to control in the jets

I've read that Annies are easier to neutron jump, as there is much less turbulence when in the neutron star jets, and DB'S and Asps are harder to control in the jets
That's perhaps true - but Asps aren't particularly difficult to neutron jump with either. If you're dealing with the sort of interdictions where the difference between a G3 SCB and G4 SCB is at all relevant, you should be able to maintain sufficient control in the neutron jets too.

If you unlock all four engineers (you may as well, for the extra pinned blueprints) then you'll need to do a few different things, but a multirole like an Asp will be fine for all of them.

I am considering going eventually but just to pin alternative blueprints, I haven't got the slightest interest in cells, but I am in no hurry.

Top Bottom