Has anyone gone to Colonia, just for the shield cell upgrade?

I must be mad, but I am considering going to Colonia, for the Shield Cell upgrade.
Part of the appeal is trying out neutron star jumps for the first time, and just to have something different to do.
Am I right in thinking IF I do this, I could self destruct, and respawn back in the bubble? Or would I respawn at the engineer base in Colonia?
Also would I need to take all the shield cells I want to upgrade with me, so I can add the experimental effects. Or could I just pin the blueprint (and hope that it sticks) and do the upgrades back home in the bubble, including the experimental effects?
I've got a 70 LY Annie to make the trip with.
If anyone wants to talk me out of this, then feel free.

I'm out there now, and the new blueprints were one of the motivations (I intended to make the trip at some point anyway, I've tended to explore the peripheries of the Galaxy previously). I have slightly less jump-range in my Phantom at around 65 ly and the trip wasn't too bad at all. I did it over 2 or 3 evenings. I didn't use the Neutron Highway - stopped every now and then to scan... put my name on a few systems etc. I'll head over to Sag A at some point. It's quite nice out here, I say do it. :)

The SCB module was the excuse I was looking for to re-visit the area after Christmas '17, when I had become allied with all factions there. I paid for and moved my main ships (Corvette, Cutter, Pythons, Kraits) - over 4bn cr. I am currently helping with upgrading the engineers' levels. It's a great concise area with beautiful vistas.
What I miss are the various material/signal shortcuts (Jameson's cobra, crystalline shards).
My long term plan is to create identical fleets for both areas - with Coriolis's help, of course, which would make it easier to "live" in either one from time to time.

I must be mad, but I am considering going to Colonia, for the Shield Cell upgrade.
Part of the appeal is trying out neutron star jumps for the first time, and just to have something different to do.
Am I right in thinking IF I do this, I could self destruct, and respawn back in the bubble? Or would I respawn at the engineer base in Colonia?
Also would I need to take all the shield cells I want to upgrade with me, so I can add the experimental effects. Or could I just pin the blueprint (and hope that it sticks) and do the upgrades back home in the bubble, including the experimental effects?
I've got a 70 LY Annie to make the trip with.
If anyone wants to talk me out of this, then feel free.
Yep, gone to unlock the Engineer when they got released and went back again to level them to G5 and then pin what I needed. Then I SuicideWindered back to the Bubble.
What you do - buy the modules you need to up the Engi in colonia, pin the blue print.
Then strip your Annie back to max range (should become quite cheap too).
Now buy a sidewinder, leave station and self destruct. Pick the FreeWinder which will port you back to the bubble.
Now have your Conda shipped to you or to the station where you store stuff. It will cost you about 150M and take about 3 days.
Been there, done that, best 150M spent. Go mining for an hour or two to make up the cash.

The way these blueprints are disappearing from my remote engineering page I would never go that far just a pin a blueprint. Heck I can't even keep my hrp blueprint longer than 20 minutes even though it shows as being pinned under the engineering tab. Same is true for hull blueprints even if I switch back to the hull I was using but I should be able to use it on any hull.

I went just for a party held by Ettine Dorn.

Oh the exquisite suffering we inflicted upon those pods, the nightmares we gave them as they slept, the horrors they saw done to their flesh when we awoke them, the agonies of the soul they will endure for eternity.

The sausage rolls were a little...vainy....

If oyure mad then I'm insane. Went to Colonia just because. Wanted to try new exploration mechanics, was aiming for Sag revisit. Somewhat 1/3rd way there I decided to detour to Colonia. Got there, didn't bother any engineer, got back. Noone visited, no plan pinned.

I went last week.The journey is a pain.Got the engineers and now thank f uck I'm back in the bubble.Just unlock the t5 shield guy in the bubble,its way less hassle.

I'm on the way there now to visit the engineer in my Asp Explorer. Won't be taking the suicide route back though, just not the way I play. Will be honest though, I'd forgotten what a long haul it is :D

For the benefit of cmdrs who haven’t used the highway

If you use “Spansh “ to plot your neutron route with your jump range you should make colonia in +/- 100 neutron jumps . I arrived in colonia last July and stayed . I’ve used the remlock express 4 times to bring over my large ships. It’s safe if you follow the rules.

Take a AFMU and mats to refill and don’t let your fsd get below 80%

Take the longest tail of the jet cone and make sure you are well away from the exclusion zone before you drop in

Zero your throttle once in and I leave the joystick alone, don’t try to fight the buffeting.

Once super charged make sure you’re facing away from the star and away you go.

Last but not least, don’t rely on anything to give you a fuel star...keep an eye on both your fuel level and destination stars to gauge whether you can make it

Wow, this is turning into a Colonia emigration thread :D
Hmmm...

Perhaps we should paint Colonia in a worse light... Don't want folk thinking that they can just come out here to millions of pristine rings to mine, easy access to most unexplored space, or a bunch of 'really nice folk' who only gank their friends (nice to strangers - and as no-one is stranger than I)...

As soon as Phisto had posted about 'growing' their engineers I had a 'good' reason to return. shame I now have to wait for a new HOTAS to arrive :mad:

Last night I went to the first neutron star on the route, to experience a neutron jump, and to see if it was something I would need to practice.
Then I tried a couple more.
1.5 hours later I was half way there! 11,000 LY's.
So it looks like I'm on my way.
The Milky Way looks a lot different from here. I think I may be in a nebula, as it has taken on a greenish colour.
I had to take a few moments to look around at the scenery. WOW!

Someone on this thread said to unlock all the engineers while there. I am wondering why that would be worth it?

Last night I went to the first neutron star on the route, to experience a neutron jump, and to see if it was something I would need to practice.
Then I tried a couple more.
1.5 hours later I was half way there! 11,000 LY's.
So it looks like I'm on my way.
The Milky Way looks a lot different from here. I think I may be in a nebula, as it has taken on a greenish colour.
I had to take a few moments to look around at the scenery. WOW!

Someone on this thread said to unlock all the engineers while there. I am wondering why that would be worth it?
If nothing else it will allow you to pin 4 more blueprints :)

Just think of the help you can be to other players if you stop around long enough to raise the level of an engineer or two as well (y)

Feeling your frustration Cmdr...hope you feel better soon, likewise I have a slight disability that can lay me up and stop me flying, or being able to concentrate on flying .

o7

Feeling your frustration Cmdr...hope you feel better soon, likewise I have a slight disability that can lay me up and stop me flying, or being able to concentrate on flying .

o7
But... ED (and the folk in 'our' community) keeps calling us back to play - all good fun 🐀

More pinned blueprints is faster access to engineering your new ship without even taking it out of the hangar, so potentially fewer engineers to visit if you only need them to apply the experimentals.

For a combat focus I'd recommend:
Brandon: your favourite SCB
Olmanova: whichever of HRPs and Armour you don't have pinned with Jean
Hicks: multicannons (McQuinn can then be used for railgun pins)
Dorn: probably life support, since it's another exclusive

It'll also take you less time to unlock the other three than it took you to travel to Colonia in the first place, so it'll be far more efficient to do it now than to decide in six months you want another one and come back here again.

More pinned blueprints is faster access to engineering your new ship without even taking it out of the hangar, so potentially fewer engineers to visit if you only need them to apply the experimentals.

For a combat focus I'd recommend:
Brandon: your favourite SCB
Olmanova: whichever of HRPs and Armour you don't have pinned with Jean
Hicks: multicannons (McQuinn can then be used for railgun pins)
Dorn: probably life support, since it's another exclusive

It'll also take you less time to unlock the other three than it took you to travel to Colonia in the first place, so it'll be far more efficient to do it now than to decide in six months you want another one and come back here again.

Ahh. Good point.
I will do that, and pin blueprints that differ from the ones I have.
I will be well upset when I get back to the bubble ,after travelling thousands of LY's only to find that They didn't stay pinned. Or if they become unpinned after a while.
I'm sure that must of happened to some people.
If that happens, I think I would have to raise a ticket with FD. (Another thing I've not done before)

Top Bottom