Has Smuggling been forgotten?

I've been on a long break from this game and redownloaded it earlier. My problems mainly lied with the fact that Grinding engineers gave an unfair advantage in PVP, lack of innovation when it came to missions, lack of meaningful PVP within Powerplay, but mainly the lack of depth and profit with smuggling.

Being a fan of the show firefly, i 've always loved the idea of space smuggling, and sometime ago there was a point where smuggling missions paid decently well (im not talking about super long range robigo mission stacking). there were profitable short range missions, on top of longer range ones (40ly or so) and i could find all this inside the bubble. It was a very enjoyable playstyle and line of work for me, but now i can barely find any smuggling missions at all, and if i do, they pay a pathetic 200k or so.

So what is going on with smuggling? Am i missing something? is it even being worked on? I have no interest in the meta money making route or w/e, i just wana do some missions, i find them way more entertaining than grinding the same route over and over.

Thanks.

Become Allied with the factions in systems give better rewards to smuggling missions and access to higher reward missions.
Being away for a while your Faction Reputation will have dropped, so you will get real lower reward missions.
Doing missions for the ruling factions will get you on their side, been traveling and scanning systems then hand in your exploration data that gets your reputation up.
I have been doing missions then realised that these goods are illegal in this system so have to smuggle them in. hit a heat sink and yeah. I do like getting in without been scanned.
Have a good one CMDR o7

Also, make sure to get allied with an Anarchy faction: they tend to give out lots of smuggling missions. Pretty good money in em as well.

Smuggling got nerfed after robigo in one of the stupidest decisions fdev made. Now regular delivery missions actually pay more. Zero logic here.

Smuggling missions are still pretty good. But I don't measure just by the credits. The main benefit of smuggling missions, is they have missed the "upgrade" that offers reward choices. So what is offered is what you get. Added up, the combination of credits, rep, inf and mats isn't so bad.

I have been watching early Isiona tubes again. Curiously I smuggle the same way now, he did in 1.2., well rather Silent Running on. Cannot do the fa-off!

Simon

I haven't been able to check out a bunch of different locations since 3.2 came out, but I've not seen a bump in pay or mission availability of smuggling missions with the dozens of Anarchy factions I'm allied with. The pay is still much much lower than legal cargo hauling, which just makes no sense.

Stuff like the Robigo Run was so fun, and like you say there also used to be shorter range missions that also were great to do (it doesn't need to be long range smuggling). I wanna be a smuggler in the game, and while I still tend to smuggle regularly, the lack of pay and attention it receives really really hampers the experience. Smuggling is PERFECT for Elite's game-world, and I don't get how they're not doing more with it... or even keeping it a minimally viable experience that at least matches regular missions!

It also happens to provide one of the few non-combat challenges in the game and requires some basic flying skill, which is missing from almost every career except combat pilot.

After 3.1 came out, Frontier said they were going to re-introduce the longer range smuggling missions that we've been missing since at least 2.4 (it may have been longer than that; I was gone from the game for 18 months and came back a lil' after 2.4 came out). I've not seen evidence that they've put these missions back in the game.

Smuggling is so much fun, and they have an entire career with already established mechanics and NPC AI and etc etc already in the dang game. I don't get why they're letting it sit dormant. Obviously I want new mechanics and refinement of smuggling in the long run, but currently I'd totally settle for just having the same missions we used to have-- and the rewards to match to encourage newer players to actually get into smuggling.

Somewhere around the time FD changed the mission wording from “snake” something into a station to “sneak” something in, it lost its allure!

Become Allied with the factions in systems give better rewards to smuggling missions and access to higher reward missions.
Being away for a while your Faction Reputation will have dropped, so you will get real lower reward missions.
Doing missions for the ruling factions will get you on their side, been traveling and scanning systems then hand in your exploration data that gets your reputation up.
I have been doing missions then realised that these goods are illegal in this system so have to smuggle them in. hit a heat sink and yeah. I do like getting in without been scanned.
Have a good one CMDR o7

rep drops over time? didn't know that. by how much?

Top Bottom