Have all Generation ships been found?

Of the thousands that have been launched apparently we have only found a handful surely there should be more out there?

Could FDEV confirm if there are more out there to find or have we got em all?

By the law of averages I would have thought with that amount some more would be reported every month what with all the explorers out there?

Seems something they wouldn't confirm - what is the benefit to them?

Either it's yes, there are more: in which case nothing changes, keep watching the skies
Or it's no, all are found: but if they confirm 'no' then it's harder to add more later, as people would complain "You said they were all found".

That's the reason they won't say X will never happen in-game - because while they may not plan it yet, things change 🤷‍♀️

As these are hand crafted/placed assets I would not expect that many to be in the game. With the new scanners they are easier to find so most have been found.

Still a chance to find a new one - as they travelled so slowly they are likely to be near(ish) to Sol.

MP

By the law of averages I would have thought with that amount some more would be reported every month what with all the explorers out there?
Still a chance to find a new one - as they travelled so slowly they are likely to be near(ish) to Sol.
Yeah, most of the explorers are further out. And most of the old generation ships would be in, or not much beyond the bubble. Some will have made planetfall and founded colonies, but most I suspect will be in interstellar space rather than in a system and easy to find. This is a) realistic as the space between systems is vastly bigger than the space in systems, and also b) more convenient for FD as it allows them to easily trickle them into the game as they arrive in or pass through a system where they can be detected.

average...I would calculate it this way: 70.000 / infinity = still 0. There is hardly a chance to find one by accident...

I literally just finished touring the known 15 gen ships. Those stories are highly entertaining (play audio, don't read them!)

So easy to get to, there is no excuse not to visit at least a few!

average...I would calculate it this way: 70.000 / infinity = still 0. There is hardly a chance to find one by accident...
But it isn't divided by infinity... not even close, 70,000/400,000,000,000 is still quite a small number though :) About as much chance of winning the Lotto.

Oddly enough, folk do win the Lotto...

It would be good if more were discovered over time, all we have to do is wait :)

Apparently 69,985 found Raxxla and so disappeared from view...I think the other 15 have been found. (edited numbers for accuracy)

Seriously, it depends on how well scanned the systems were/are and how good the tools were at the time and how well used. I use the FSS religiously but when there's 50 odd undiscovered signals I hardly ever put it into Megaship range and scan around, I just assume USS/NHSS and move on. Point being the 1st one was found by flying 10K ls from the last planet towards another star system, following a seemingly meaningless message. Would I have found this using FSS in the normal way? Doubtful I think unless it resolved itself, I rely too much on the POI in the Nav Panel after scanning all the planets/asteroid belts.

In undiscovered systems I investigate signals more closely but where I expect loads of signals (and no Nav Beacon to resolve them all) I rarely check them all out or even look. So depends on whether they would all show up as POI and how close I would have to be to discover it first...I'm not entirely sure undiscovered Generation Ships, Raxxla or the DW station would show up in POI just from initial scans so work on the principle they won't until proven otherwise.

I've found unmapped planets in Aisling Duval space in the last 2 months, including one with a mapped 8H planet but no other. implies old ADS and nobody actually flew out to the other planets/moon since so a megaship could be there...or anywhere really, the bubble is by no means fully explored, not systematically.

I've heard interviews with DB where he mentions the 70K figure and to me it just does suggest theres a few out there, even if 99% of them crashed/blew up/mutinied/left no trace somehow, that still leaves a lot...and some might have made it...all the way to the Col Sector or other locked ones for example.

Its far more fun to believe in mystery and treasure to be found and DB et al have been brilliant at this for 30 years, some of us are still waiting for the Graveyard and that's an easy one to implement visually surely but then that would just be it, its there, next. So I choose to believe there certainly could be more out there, but that we may not find them, but I hope I do, it would be truly awesome, if I don't, the mystery and treasure hunt lives on...win/win.

I hope that you're aware that in 5 years we visited only 0.036% of the existing systems in the galaxy.
While correct, it's somewhat irrelevant. The Generation ships were only traveling, at best, around c or maybe a few multiples higher. There's a distinct limit to how far they've travelled. Considering that places them in the bubble or just outside it, there's a reason chance, by the comment on law of averages, that every system containing a generation ship will have been passed through by now.

It's whether people were paying attention when passing through as to whether they were found. There's also the fact that the FSS makes it easier to find them now than before, but again people might not bother using it/pay attention when they're so close to the bubble.

While correct, it's somewhat irrelevant. The Generation ships were only traveling, at best, around c or maybe a few multiples higher. There's a distinct limit to how far they've travelled. Considering that places them in the bubble or just outside it, there's a reason chance, by the comment on law of averages, that every system containing a generation ship will have been passed through by now.

It's whether people were paying attention when passing through as to whether they were found. There's also the fact that the FSS makes it easier to find them now than before, but again people might not bother using it/pay attention when they're so close to the bubble.
You need to take into account that when travelling at sublight speeds, much of their time will be spent between systems, in the space we bypass in a second when jumping. We can only ever detect them when they happen to be within the bounds of a star system, and even then only when close to something we'd be looking at anyway.

That would make one hell of a hyperdrive drop, travelling from one system to another gets stopped by a ship detected.

You need to take into account that when travelling at sublight speeds, much of their time will be spent between systems, in the space we bypass in a second when jumping. We can only ever detect them when they happen to be within the bounds of a star system, and even then only when close to something we'd be looking at anyway.
Well, there's no need to take that into account, as that's outside the framework of the game.

You need to take into account that when travelling at sublight speeds, much of their time will be spent between systems, in the space we bypass in a second when jumping.

Is this right? I assumed that whereas we can't physically fly from one system to another, we have to engage jump drive, that the 1st Gen Ships did fly from one system to another, ie out of Sol and just keep going, like Voyager, so there would be no 'witch space' for them as such, they are either in range of one system or another, even in 'deep space' between systems. I say assumed coz I have zero pointers or clues really as to how they worked but the the 1st one 10K ls away from the planet but within that same system implies this is at least partially correct.

Technically we can fly 'to' the next system, as in within 1LY of it (as D2EA shows on YT vid), it just stays as background and we cant fly into it but is that not the point at which the 2 systems 'meet'? and the Gen Ship is either in one or the other? It may mean its 1,000,000s of ls away, I don't know if bigger systems have bigger maps or what the max distance in a system can be, if there is one...

Top Bottom