Have the developers acknowledged the FPS issues?

I have not yet bought Planet Coaster for myself. I've probably watched every Planet Coaster LP on Youtube that's in English, and really want to play it, but was concerned my computer wouldn't be able to handle it and it seems my fears were more than justified. Every LP series I've watched that has built a decently developed park has run into major FPS problems. These are people with very high-end systems, so I'm guessing this is some sort of optimization issue with the game? I know it's just in Alpha 1, I really just hope the Devs are aware of the issue and plan to fix it before it goes to retail.

An example:
Youtuber Tycoon-a-Tron recently purchased an Asus Strix R9 Fury (with the help of donations from followers), largely because his rig wasn't handling PC very well.
While the card improved the performance for every other game dramatically, PC is still running at about 16 FPS:
https://youtu.be/1RSQLMFS6Cg?t=11m47s

The rest of his system is no slouch, either. His CPU is a FX8350 overclocked to 4.8Ghz, and he has 16 gigs of RAM.

He's by far not the only one. Other YouTubers who were huge cheerleaders of the game at first are now discontinuing their PC series because the game is unplayable after a point. It is sad to watch some like Skye Storme go from so excited and gushing about the game slow descend into sad resignation about having to give up on it. Silvarret has been featured by Planet Coaster's official channel but he can barely run the game now himself.

Anyways, has there been any official word on this?

I have not yet bought Planet Coaster for myself. I've probably watched every Planet Coaster LP on Youtube that's in English, and really want to play it, but was concerned my computer wouldn't be able to handle it and it seems my fears were more than justified. Every LP series I've watched that has built a decently developed park has run into major FPS problems. These are people with very high-end systems, so I'm guessing this is some sort of optimization issue with the game? I know it's just in Alpha 1, I really just hope the Devs are aware of the issue and plan to fix it before it goes to retail.

An example:
Youtuber Tycoon-a-Tron recently purchased an Asus Strix R9 Fury (with the help of donations from followers), largely because his rig wasn't handling PC very well.
While the card improved the performance for every other game dramatically, PC is still running at about 16 FPS:
https://youtu.be/1RSQLMFS6Cg?t=11m47s

The rest of his system is no slouch, either. His CPU is a FX8350 overclocked to 4.8Ghz, and he has 16 gigs of RAM.

He's by far not the only one. Other YouTubers who were huge cheerleaders of the game at first are now discontinuing their PC series because the game is unplayable after a point. It is sad to watch some like Skye Storme go from so excited and gushing about the game slow descend into sad resignation about having to give up on it. Silvarret has been featured by Planet Coaster's official channel but he can barely run the game now himself.

Anyways, has there been any official word on this?

Actually they have. It is a known behaviour when the park has heavy (really, really heavy) theming. But we are still in Alpha 1 and they are working on it, as TheLighterDark stated. Terraforming will replace a lot of rocks for example. :) Water a lot of bue tiles.
I am getting slowly into this stage too, but had i build the same park with RCT3, my Laptop had said a long time ago: "OK. That's it. I am out."

Last edited:
I just had a look. Silvarret said he will do more buildings in the next episode, but at the moment he shows the Parkitect park which he did for their trailer.

you can buy videocards all you want, yet this game is CPU intensive so it wont change much switching from for example a 960 to 970. i get no frame issues at all with my 960 and a 5820k processor.(960 is still there from my last pc, will be upgraded to a 970 or maaaybe 980 :D)

you can buy videocards all you want, yet this game is CPU intensive so it wont change much switching from for example a 960 to 970. i get no frame issues at all with my 960 and a 5820k processor.(960 is still there from my last pc, will be upgraded to a 970 or maaaybe 980 :D)

How extensive is your park? None of the LPers I watch had issues when they started, the problems always seem to happen once they have a medium-sized park going.

I have a park that's about half filled with heavy vegetation , rides (not all flat rides yet) 3 coasters build with a forth one in wip and buildings . I have no lag what so ever with my system .

my specs
i7-4790k at 4.0-4.4 boost
8gb g skill sniper 1866
msi gamer 970
windows 7

it really comes down to what buildings you want to build. If you are not worried about complex buildings then it is fine and lots of them. I am running it on a i3 with a gtx 580. My current park has some custom buildings with all the rides, two coasters and lots of vegitation and I have not noticed much of a slow down yet. I have used 1/2 of the space given so far. The more complex the buildings the quicker the frame rate will drop.

I just ordered this week a desktop gaming PC with
6th gen Intel Core i7 6700k CPU (4 cores, 8 threads, 8MB cache, 4Ghz base speed with turbo boost to 4.2Ghz. This CPU can be unlocked to achieve near 5Ghz speed and according to Intel's website, it is their current flagship processor)
Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 390 8GB GDDR5 RAM (The R9 390 has a high bandwidth of 384GB/s, and a generous amount of vRAM... 8GB so you don't need to worry about bottlenecking with GPU's with only 4GB vRAM. The Sapphire R9 390 also has a 512bit bus not just a 256bit one).
I already paid for it just waiting for the special NZ (where I live) company I ordered it from, to finish making the system and ship it to me.

According to Windows 10 Task Manager, games are CPU intensive. When I check Windows 10 Task Manager while playing this game, my laptop is using only 4.2GB RAM. But my CPU is maxed out at 100% which is an intel i5 6200u. Directx12 also helps with some calculations to help in games. Some GPU's have full Directx12 support. Windows 10 will.

I've seen one YouTube video with a person playing this game with the i7 6700k CPU and R9 390 AMD GPU and graphics and frame rate are good. Same with the GTX 970/980 GPU.

Last edited:
I did some research. AMD makes the AMD R9 390 graphics chip but they don't make the GPU card. They get Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte etc to make the GPU. In my research, I found out Sapphire is the best manufacturer for AMD, where as Gigabyte got tonnes of problems.
AMD Radeon R9 390 has 8GB GDDR5 vRAM which according to AMD and Sapphire and other sources, has a high bandwidth of 384GB/s.
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlO3p_3FpxQ
In another video, the GTX 970/980 performs well in high settings in this game too.

I'm just going to respond with my specs;
i5 4460
16gb ram
gtx970

the game runs very smooth, no lag even with high settings and 3000 peeps. Here's my park;

cEpf4Jq.jpg

Last edited:
Dont know how 'official' you can see this as but I did note that 'Skye Storme' made reference to this in on of his recent videos. He actually had to remove a few items to demonstrate something else as having them all together hit his FPS too hard. (I should add that recording video at the same time will also effect FPS, it was probably ok when playing without recording) He commented on this saying he's spoken to the Devs who had told him that it is a known issue and they are working towards getting the game better optimised before final release.

This is always going to be a problem with this kind of simulation game though, its simply the fact that the CPU has to generate and model thousands of individual 'agents' (people), their actions, what path they take, how happy they look, and all the other ecconomic calculations and then multiply all that by 2-3000 once the park gets busy. Thats a big load for any CPU and unfortunatley, lot of gamers have full spec GPUs and RAM but only average spec CPUs.

Last edited:
Posted this in another thread but to give an idea:

Core i7 4970k 4.9GHz @ 1.38v
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard
2x8GB Kingston 2400Mhz DDR3 @ 9-9-9-28 T1 timings
Saved to slow 7200 1TB drive as out of space on SSD at moment
SLi EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 4GB
Samsung 4k LED Monitor

Game Settings

v-sync off and full screen mode, settings at maximum. Have some small screen tear issues but not often and not really noticeable. (only one GPU enabled since SLI is not supported in Alpha as far as I am aware)

At 4k am getting 25 fps at detailed/complex scene, 32 fps across park view, 40+ fps when looking at sky
At 1440p am getting 38 fps at detailed/complex scene, 45 fps across park view, 50+ fps when looking at sky
At 1080p am getting 50 fps at detailed/complex scene, 58 fps across park view, 65+ fps when looking at sky

Regards,

Adam

I got an i7-4790K @4.00GHz, and a gtx970 and the game still is in the high 40s in the lowest of times, althoug most times it stays at 50s with a very heavy themed park. Playing on 1080 on the highest settings with vsync on.
Until it doesnt go below 30 a lot with a good PC like mine (and now you can buy better), on a really heavy themed park I dont feel that Frontier is failing in the FPS front. Its going to be a huge demanding game (more for the CPU than the GPU it seems), thats for sure, that why people with older PCs need to know what they are getting into if they want to build a super themed park.

Its true that there seems to be some mix of strange objects and paths that can tank your FPS (and taking them away and build even more after that strangely makes the game go back to normal), but devs are alredy in the know and trying to fix it.

Last edited:
My PC lags slightly also, and i also have high spec, but the CPU is at 97% like many others, so looks to be a programming issue possibly because its an Alpha version. Unless it has something to do with how many spotlights are added because I have added alot of these? But most possibly just the CPU issue.[alien]

I got a new gaming desktop PC yesterday with 6th gen Intel Core i7-6700k and Sapphire Nitro AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB GPU overclocked with back plate. And it runs butter smooth on 1920x1080 High settings. My HP white 15' laptop with Intel Core i5-6200U and AMD Radeon R7 M360 struggles to play the game and according to Windows 10 Task Manager, games are CPU intensive (like The Sims 4, Cities Skylines). It maxes out my i5 on my laptop, where as with my i7 processor, it's only utilizing 87-92% of it at only 3.8Ghz and even on High 1080p settings system RAM being used is only around 3.9GB. My new gaming desktop has 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz HyperX RAM and 240GB Kingston Fury HyperX SSD which is for the OS and fits my games on it. It also has a Samsung 7200rpm 1TB HDD. The Radeon R9 390 has a high bandwidth of 384GB/s and a generous 8GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics. The i7 processor has a high base speed of 4Ghz too and it's 4 cores, 8 threads which helps with multitasking.
I built a sandbox map and it has 2,800 peps and my new system is running it butter smooth in 1920x1080 High settings. The map has 8 food/drink shops, over a dozen toilets, and all rides available in the alpha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom