"Have you had the chance to bag yourself a Krait Mk II or a Challenger yet?"

I'm finding the Krait to be a far more capable explorer than my AspX. While carrying a 6a fuelscoop, a size 4 corrosion-resistant cargo rack full of alien artifacts, four SRV's, and a Condor SLF - plus the usual ADS/DSS/AFMU combo - it jumps more than 50ly with 32t of fuel onboard (FSD Booster). Also very easy to land in rough terrain, stands tall enough to easily drive an SRV in/out in any direction, and has a high-visibility canopy that lets you look down. I did run out of slots for a shield though.

Max jump 56.23ly, and there is more that could be done to shed more weight and improve that.

Personally, I find my G3’d Krait infinitely more fun than my G5’d Python, and I also find the Krait more pleasing to look at (the Python just looks and feels...dull, like an AspX).

If I had the cash, I’d buy a Challenger and try it out, but after buying the Krait, I’m down to less than 80 mil, which is too low for my taste.

Krait is a fun new interior and a bit more nimble than my Pythons. But as much as I like the interior I hate the blind spots on both sides of the pilots seat. Not to mention the Millennial Falcon looking extensions of the hull obstructing the view. For me in VR its a great POV but still reminds me of a flying pancake with attitude! The view inside the Challenger is a 8.5 only because it still feels like a chair in a box. Excellent view however and extreme Chieftain like moves,...Add another module space, a tad more jump and she would almost be perfect for me. I like them both for different reasons but like them I do[yesnod]
Happy thoughts gang

Krait for me at least, is a more viable alternative to everyone grinding in the big ships, i hate the handling of the big ones, and the Krait fits the bill for functionality, plus it handles relatively well, by far the best jack of all trades imo.

The Challenger is far and away my favorite ship now though, it might be on the slow side but its nimble, responsive and kicks hard. Plus having the hardpoint layout it does it allows for really decent coverage of damage types and bases. I kill stuff faster, harder and take so much less pain in this.

FDL's RIP.

I looked at the Challenger's appearance and hardpoint specs and haven't even considered buying one. I think the issue is that it's basically an inferior version of the FGS given the hardpoints are worse (3 smalls and 3 mediums on the Challenger instead of 2 smalls and 4 mediums on the FGS, plus both have a single large hardpoint), the power distributor is worse (class 6 instead of class 7) and there is no SLF bay. At least the Chieftan's hardpoints and speed offer something distinct from the FGS that made it worth buying. I think that players who are comparing it directly to the Chieftan consider the Challenger a decent alternative but really if I am going to buy the Challenger it should do something at least slightly different than my current fleet which has 30 fully-Engineered ships already.

lol. I think its like the FAS, FGS and Chieftan had a threesome.

Last edited:
I can't stand the look of either the Chieftain or Challenger (landing gear inside the thrusters? Really?), but Krait is pretty decent. And due to the lower wait on the hull, it actually makes for a pretty okay exploration ship.

( Headline quoted from the newsletter )
No, is there a reason I should?

Krait is the same as a Python with unsightly blocky looks that remind me of Lego.
And both my Python's are already engineered - so, there seems to be very little point in new ships that merely mimic existing ships in numbers and loadout.
Ok, fighter hangar... If it had to be a Python equivalent with fighter bay for you - but I already got that on various other ships.

Challenger? idk if you liked the Chieftain, maybe its a minor improvement to you... But already for the Chieftain, I couldn't really see the need over other ships I have, nor was the cockpit view particularly enticing. (for an awesome cockpit, I might buy an otherwise same-same ship type)
I know, there's small differences - but not enough to spend the time, the materials, the credits and the money on - for me.
Granted, for players who only recently joined - a bigger selection is good at any rate

I think all we end up with, is the need to engineer another ~10-20 components and spend money on new paint jobs for no particular reason.

What's your take?

Have you found a real advantage flying these over one of your other ships for any specific purpose?

Can't help loving the Krait. I have been sceptical because the streams and specs and all we knew before release made it look pretty much combat oriented, so I bought it for the looks and wanted to try. I got to say that I really didn't regret that. It's my main ship now and does everything I want from a ship so far. And yeah, it's very similar to the Python, but I own one and though it's a great ship, it never really grew a home.

I bought a Python and flew it a few times. Since them it has been gathering dust in the hanger and went back to my Cobra Mk3 and 4.

I bought a Krait, and have now sold my FGS and my python. My Krait is now my main ship.

Love the looks, love the sound and the cockpit is a thing of beauty in VR.

Here is my Krait with fixed weapons vs an insane NPC FDL (is it because I'm Elite? All NPCs have been like this or worse since 3.1):

[video=youtube_share;a12C4NsVRLQ]https://youtu.be/a12C4NsVRLQ[/video]

I like the Krait, the looks are a little odd (it's too flat on top in the min-models on the HUD) but it has plenty of useful slots, good firepower & manoeuvrability. A good alternative to the Python, although imo the Python edges it out (could just be familiarity).

I bought a challenger the other day, checked it's stats (number of slots & weapon mounts) and immediately sold it again, it never even left the dock. Not sure why FDev would release a ship with this spec, maybe there's something about Thargoid killing or something that means a ship that's more expensive & slower than the Chieftain but has fewer large hardpoints is worthwhile, but I don't have a use for it other than to be a completionist.

Hello my friend :)

few points I realised with Challenger for pvp....

- nice yaw, it looks manoeuverability is same as chieftain, but sure its slow, around 498 with lw armor
- can fit fixed MCs effectivelly, because many small and medium HPs. On chieftain there is a problem with both large HPs, because large MCs sucks
- can fit 3x hammer or 3x rails. Yes I know chieftain offer to fit 3x small rails too, but for now I am experimenting with 2-3 medium rails on it (all slugs) or slug hammers
- looks better than chieftain IMO
- it has very weird acceleration when performing basic movements like pitch, roll, yaw. It strange because it accelerate slower. For that reason i will try drive distro dd5
- because hrp inside c6 slot is quite waste, I am experimenting with 6a scb instead, but in that case I have no chaff because ammo sink and still problem to get nice MJ for c6 biw there. I believe FDev have done mistake here and there is no point to use 2x c6 internals... for this combat ship.... its just wrong design of internals IMO
- it has better, quiter boost sound
- it looks this ship can decelerate (probably also accelerate) very well, surprisengly, almost like fdl? No way to compare that with f.e. fas which decelerate ages.

Krait... yes it can perma boost, but i was tired to hear that sound again and again... and after 3sec again... for that stupid reason i got back to challenger, lol. Its also slow when changing direction with boost, it needs 2-3 boost to fully gain speed to other direction.
But sure, I like it, have maxed it already, will try it more.... but for now I am in challenger.

WIll also try 3200ms speed fixed MC set on challenger asap. With enforcers of course.

I kept my Python and ditched my ASPx. My ASPx was doing 55ly before the Guardian FSD boosters were introduced. Since the Krait has one more option slot compared to the ASPx then add in a 10.5ly booster, so the Krait wins.

The Krait's mediocre jump range now matches my old ASPx at 55ly. The Krait offers more versatility than the ASPx, so it had to go.

Krait + FSD booster > ASPx

Hello my friend :)

few points I realised with Challenger for pvp....

- nice yaw, it looks manoeuverability is same as chieftain, but sure its slow, around 498 with lw armor
- can fit fixed MCs effectivelly, because many small and medium HPs. On chieftain there is a problem with both large HPs, because large MCs sucks
- can fit 3x hammer or 3x rails. Yes I know chieftain offer to fit 3x small rails too, but for now I am experimenting with 2-3 medium rails on it (all slugs) or slug hammers
- looks better than chieftain IMO
- it has very weird acceleration when performing basic movements like pitch, roll, yaw. It strange because it accelerate slower. For that reason i will try drive distro dd5
- because hrp inside c6 slot is quite waste, I am experimenting with 6a scb instead, but in that case I have no chaff because ammo sink and still problem to get nice MJ for c6 biw there. I believe FDev have done mistake here and there is no point to use 2x c6 internals... for this combat ship.... its just wrong design of internals IMO
- it has better, quiter boost sound
- it looks this ship can decelerate (probably also accelerate) very well, surprisengly, almost like fdl? No way to compare that with f.e. fas which decelerate ages.

Krait... yes it can perma boost, but i was tired to hear that sound again and again... and after 3sec again... for that stupid reason i got back to challenger, lol. Its also slow when changing direction with boost, it needs 2-3 boost to fully gain speed to other direction.
But sure, I like it, have maxed it already, will try it more.... but for now I am in challenger.

WIll also try 3200ms speed fixed MC set on challenger asap. With enforcers of course.

Your point about multi-cannons is a good one. The C3 multis do take an age to spool up, but I like the rate of damage; my mission running Python has a pair of C3 gimballed multis that complement a C3 fixed beam nicely. I guess this would be the AX weapon focus that I have little use for.

If the Challenger controls drift better than the Chieftain that's a good thing for fine control in certain circumstances (eg FA-off landing), but speed is handy everywhere.

I like the sound of the Krait but I haven't spent more than an hour or so in it in one go so maybe I haven't tired of it yet. The deceleration noise is irritatingly repetitive, or maybe it's just a little too loud.

I kept the Chieftain, although I've found little use for it other than occasional CZ variety (same reason I keep a Vulture), it just has too few slots to be useful outside of combat, and the Challenger is just yet another inflexible (imo) ship for the sake of variety rather than filling a niche as the Krait does (faster Python).

While there may be aspects of the Challenger that appeal to others (looks & sound if nothing else) for now it doesn't do anything I need it to be able to do that other ships can't do at least as well, if not better. Mostly that's mission running & CZ work.

Last edited:
Here is my Krait with fixed weapons vs an insane NPC FDL (is it because I'm Elite? All NPCs have been like this or worse since 3.1):

Thats normal mate. Lol, the NPC's reticule evasion is fing irritating innit :/ baaaaaaaaad AI. Not programmed to dodge shots, only the target circle.. Fs.

I purchased the Krait. Haven't had much time to do anything with it yet, but so far I'm liking it.

My intent is to make it into my multipurpose Exploration vessel, jump range really means squat to me, I'm just satisfied to be able to fit almost anything I need and a bit extra, as well as something that isn't a Python and can make Outpost docking possible, too. SLF is a huge bonus, considering my NPC pilot has been soaking up credits and lushing it up at the pub, gotta put her back to work. This one seems much more capable and it's not a small vessel I've got to try and cram everything into. If we get NPC multicrew/Wings it will be a total dreamboat for me, my own little ED version of a "Serenity" class ship.

Haven't touched the Challenger yet, but I'll eventually get around to it. It's definitely a bit more attractive to me than a FDS/FAS/FGS for combat role, and doesn't look like a huge hunk of space metal. I'm rather curious as to the handling as I've read much in the way of positive feedback. I'll probably review some in-game YouTube footage of it in action before I press the fire button on it.

I'm testing a fully engineered Challenger with a full fixed multi build. I want it to be different from my Chief so there it is.

Liking it so far.

verminstar

Banned
Bought a challenger and tried a number of setups on it before making me mind up...then sold the chief. As fun as the chief was, the challenger just feels a bit better and the setups arent compromised or restricted as much as the chief was. The handling I found better than the chief...not in a huge way, but subtle...I find the challenger more predictable when turning fast while the chief used to have a fair amount of drift which made rail setups trucky fer me.

The krait I bought but cant find a use for because apart from the challenger which I use fer my everyday grinder, Im mostly a big ship player. The likes of the python never appealed to me so I wasnt really looking to rival or replace a ship I never had in the first place. As an exploration ship, it could work but fer the forseeable future, Id be taking the cutter cos I could never afford to transfer it. And while the krait might do the job as it were, only the cutter can do the job in style.

Not saying the krait is a bad ship, I just cant see it being useful to me ^

I love my Chieftain and was excited to try the Challenger for its heavier armour and suchlike. I transferred all my engineered bits across from the Chief and tried it for a while. Nope. I got beaten senseless by a pirate Chieftain at one point as it ran rings around me and that was the final straw. The Chieftain is very nearly as tough as the Challenger, yet is nicer to fly and looks fantastic. I don't need a Challenger in my life.

The Krait however was a keeper. I had a Python before but rarely used it much except for when I need to go haul cargo or passengers. It didn't handle well for me even when fully engineered. I got myself a Krait after I won a skin for one on a Yamiks live stream and I'm keeping it for my mid-sized all rounder. It looks good and feels nice to fly and has just enough space for a bit of everything with minor tweaking. It doesn't feel completely outclassed in combat either.

Top Bottom