"Have you had the chance to bag yourself a Krait Mk II or a Challenger yet?"

I bought a Krait and just engineered the main core components and weapons but I haven't flown it in anger yet.

I plan to use it as my 'wanderer'. This is where I take on missions, whatever is on the board I can do and then take another mission at the destination, then another and so on and see where the game takes me. It's perfect for that role, SLF and good combat characteristics means I can take on combat missions, over 100 tonnes cargo means I can take on delivery missions, medium size means I can land anywhere.

My Python is great and fills a role, so does my FDL, so do all of my ships, it wont replace anything, it just fills a new niche.

I'll report back once I've flown it properly.

Last edited:
Heh. I camped out at Jameson's Memorial the day before the patch dropped so I could grab a Krait MkII asap.

It's a fun ship to fly. Very much like a large Cobra MkIII, or faster, more nimble Python.

Made about 50 million Cr at the Fousang bounty hunting CG while testing loadouts and just messing around. Maybe I could have made more in my FDL, but this was fun and a change of pace, so the Krait MkII is a keeper for sure.

I have a fully upgraded and engineered Chieftain but it never really "clicked" with me, so I gave the Challenger a pass for now.

Though it's a cheap little boat, so I might pick one up the next time I'm at Shinrarta Dezhra and see how it flies.

Thats normal mate. Lol, the NPC's reticule evasion is fing irritating innit :/ baaaaaaaaad AI. Not programmed to dodge shots, only the target circle.. Fs.

Ah, I see. Good point. And I think they also programmed them to boost when you boost, if you have targeted them and are in a fight, because that FDL was zipping back and forth like a rubber band.

Last edited:
I was and still am a big fan of the Python...truly never thought I'd ever find a ship with as much 'useability' until the Krait popped along. Being slightly miffed at the lack of cargo space, I eventually stuck a modded 5A shield gen in it giving 160t carrying capacity for mission board running. I've never liked downsizing shields apart from the Cutter, but just wow...even with that G5'd 5A shield gen it just does the thing.

First mission board run saw me dealing with 4 Deadly and Elite rated Anacondas (with SLF's) one after another...none of them managed to drop me below 2 rings of shields even with the 5A gen and no SLF to run interference. I run either an all multi build or 4 multis and a size 2 G5 penetrator rail...either setup just eats stuff up. The 160t of cargo and extra dancing ability over the Python mixed with Cobra III speeds just makes it pretty useful as an all rounder.

I've now stripped all the choice bits from the Python like the G5 drags...and swapping out for the size 6 shield gen and adding the SLF for the hazres trips...

I like it [up]

Last edited:
But of course!

The Krait is PERFECT for the option to do anything without switching ships. With the Extra seat, and the Fighter Bay, it was built to do EVERYTHING including multi-crew (which is the type of player that I am) I ONLY flew the Anaconda for that reason and NEVER found a reason to fly any other ship.

Other ships had either bad hardpoint placement, 1-2 seats, didn't have a fighter bay, to slow or too ugly on top of the other problems I've had.

But the Krait is literally EVERYTHING I want in a ship. Good Hardpoints, Good Placement, Good Shields, Good Armor, Good Internals and it looks beautiful (different than any other ship in the game by far) The Krait gives me the option to do whatever I want without the "Ship Transfer" wait time.

"Jack Of All Trades, master of none, but better than the Master Of One." - The Krait

Last edited:
Thanks to your detailed answers! And thanks to everyone else who pointed out just why they like it!

You got me convinced I should try at least a Krait.

I still can't see how those big rectangular blocks on the Krait aren't "blocky" but I can overlook that - especially from the cockpit, I'm pretty sure I won't really see any of it.

Appreciate everybody's time to pitch in and maybe you'll even convince some of the YouTube guys who weren't keen on these.

For a long time i disregarded the Krait-hype as not worth it. I expected FD to stick closer to the original Krait, which would've been a sidegrade of the Sidewinder. But when FD finally confirmed its capabilities, i knew that i had to get this ship. Acceptable firepower, acceptable agility and speed, acceptable defense and being able to carry SLFs.
Effectively it eliminated the Cutter and T-10 from my ships lineup. I have both of them configured as SLF carriers to play with friends. I have some friends who just occasionally play this game. When they do log in, providing them with SLFs was an easy and quick way to get them into action. But while they enjoy the SLFs very much, i didn't enjoy the limited agility of the Cutter or T-10 too much.
This is where the Krait comes into play. It offers the same ability to have two friends piloting SLFs, while being more enjoyable to fly. It sure is no Courier or Chieftain, but at least it doesn't feel like trying to turn a cathedral around any more. (So it's time my friends turn up again to give this ship some use. )
At the same time, i guess the last part answers the question on the Challenger: i have a Chieftain and like the weapon layout i put onto it. Dual APAs are fun. I couldn't find any reason for me to switch over to the Challenger.

Last night I sold my Beluga (too big!) and Keelback (lovely but not very good!) and bought a Krait. I've got some engineered modules although I think I accidentally failed to take some off the Beluga's optional internals before selling it. Ooopsy.

Had a little fly, seems good although as usual with multi-role ships I cant quite decide what to do with it. Im considering it as a criminal people smuggler with a decent cabin in it given it has the ability to do that without as much scanning as others might.

The guy on page 1 said it, the Krait flies like a bigger and better Cobra, and Asp E for that matter. It's what I had hoped the Cobra 4 would be. I am satisfied with it, it's my main ship now except when I need to move big cargo.

Thanks to your detailed answers! And thanks to everyone else who pointed out just why they like it!

You got me convinced I should try at least a Krait.

I still can't see how those big rectangular blocks on the Krait aren't "blocky" but I can overlook that - especially from the cockpit, I'm pretty sure I won't really see any of it.

Appreciate everybody's time to pitch in and maybe you'll even convince some of the YouTube guys who weren't keen on these.

The "blocks" grew on me, especially once I started thinking of the Krait like the millennium falcon, except the cockpit is placed between the pincers instead of off to the side. I really like the exterior design, it's a little flat on top but I bet there are some ship kits coming that will help address that...

The guy on page 1 said it, the Krait flies like a bigger and better Cobra, and Asp E for that matter. It's what I had hoped the Cobra 4 would be. I am satisfied with it, it's my main ship now except when I need to move big cargo.

The "blocks" grew on me, especially once I started thinking of the Krait like the millennium falcon, except the cockpit is placed between the pincers instead of off to the side. I really like the exterior design, it's a little flat on top but I bet there are some ship kits coming that will help address that...

Feel precisely the same way about it, including the bit about the millennium falcon and the cobra 4.

Ah, I see. Good point. And I think they also programmed them to boost when you boost, if you have targeted them and are in a fight, because that FDL was zipping back and forth like a rubber band.

NPCs basically copy what you're doing, so indeed if you boost, they boost. You don't, they don't.

It's also why FA Off is so effective against NPCs. They don't do it, and they misinterpret your moves.

Last edited:
Hah, my mission Python for Ceos and Sothis has a modded 3D shield on it - only way I could get over 240T cargo... I guess I can get the same jump range on the Krait with a bigger shield - if not the same cargo...

Sadly, Ceos and Sothis are a useless nightmare since the last patch... So I'll be moving that ship some place else - which I haven't found yet - but mainly it must be two systems that have only 1 or at most 2 stations, with other systems too far to offer missions for. Luckily, I maxed out ranks - for the very fear that it might get harder and more annoying in some way. And here we are...

Edit: there's no reference showing who I was replying to on this forum?

Last edited:
So, just for the hell of it, I set up an engineered Krait Explorer on Coriolis

...and got a few surprises:

- Even with a size 2 PP and size 2 PD, it can still boost
- Jumps 49.46 LY (without skimping on stuff needed for exploration)
- Unlike ASP and Diamondback, I have a lot more flexibility for fitting

So, for shorter range exploration trips, I wouldn't have to take the Anaconda just to be able to bring a little more than what I can fit on the ASP...

Its not exactly the long range exploration ship in between ASP and Anaconda I was hoping for, but its something that can be used in that capacity - with better slots than the Dolphin, which has that nasty slot restriction, preventing your use of a size 6 fuel scoop.

Btw: How is the Krait for driving out from under it in an SRV...?

Iiiiii'm baaaaack (Hide yo kids, hide yo wife)

So after a little longer it would seem that the Challenger is Overpowered AS F*CK. (For my personal flight style)

It might be slow, but there isn't anything in it's class capable of such utter destruction, FDL's hit hard, but not like this beastie. Conda's hold up to maybe 4/5 volleys then POP! (PvE) And in PvP, I have FDL's, FAS' and Chief's all turning tail and limping away often before I lose 20% hull.

Mwahahaha.. This sh*t is gonna be the cause of some major salt outbreaks in it's lifetime. I can't be the only one who rocks it for PvP.

(I've had a whinge lately because the game is still borked, a proper winge at that, but this ship is by far the single best bit of content you guys ave released in the last year.)

Hehe or the ASP or Cobra...

Oh I forgot to ask also: Do those corners sticking out left and right of the cockpit protrude into your field of vision...?

Well you can see them. I'd say they are less intrusive than the mandibles of the Vulture, but they are in a different place of course, so you have an excellent view down to either side. They keep catching my attention though which can be a little distracting in time-critical scenarios, I guess it's something I will get used to but no other ship (or IRL/other game vehicle I've driven or flown) has stuff there so it feels a little odd.

It is an excellent & capable multi-role with an interesting & innovative cockpit full of greeblies, I like it a lot but I still prefer the Python overall.

Last edited:
Iiiiii'm baaaaack (Hide yo kids, hide yo wife)

So after a little longer it would seem that the Challenger is Overpowered AS F*CK. (For my personal flight style)

It might be slow, but there isn't anything in it's class capable of such utter destruction, FDL's hit hard, but not like this beastie. Conda's hold up to maybe 4/5 volleys then POP! (PvE) And in PvP, I have FDL's, FAS' and Chief's all turning tail and limping away often before I lose 20% hull.

Mwahahaha.. This sh*t is gonna be the cause of some major salt outbreaks in it's lifetime. I can't be the only one who rocks it for PvP.

(I've had a whinge lately because the game is still borked, a proper winge at that, but this ship is by far the single best bit of content you guys ave released in the last year.)
It does seem quite powerful. I’ve lost a fight to one and I’ve won a fight to one (pvp duels) in my Krait.

Top Bottom