Having trouble finding the Gargantuan beacon at VY Canis Majoris? Here's how!

Like everyone else who has tried to look for it, I have tried and then despaired at finding this elusive beacon. The star VY Can Maj is so large, that the beacon has had to be placed quite far away from the star - and since beacons only show up when they're less than 1000 Ls away, searching for it by flying around randomly is like searching for something in a darkened room with a laser pointer as your only lightsource.

But now, help is at hand! Thanks to information posted by Ray "Stingray" Robertson in this bug report thread, we can now offer a definitive guide to finding Gargantuan.

The beacon is situated at a point 7020 Ls away from VY Canis Majoris, and (currently) 13157 Ls away from the small Y-class secondary star, the only other object in the system. Unfortunately, these two measurements actually define a circle in space, rather than a "point". So, if you like doing things the hard way, you can do what I just did to find the beacon, and fly to a point at those distances and then slowly fly around the circle, keeping those distances constant, until you eventually get in range of the beacon. It should take you a quarter to a half hour to do this.

However, if you're not the masochistic sort, here's another way.

Prior to 2.2, the point at which you arrives at a star was random. Now, with 2.2, it is constant: if you jump into the system from a certain star, you will always arrive at the exact same place relative to the star and to other fixed navpoints around that star - such as tourist beacons.

FD have not placed the beacon in a "logical" place, such as in a direct line from Sol. They have, in fact, placed the beacon almost in a direct line coming from the Orion Nebula/Barnards Loop region. So, here's how I suggest you find it.

- Jump to the system "Col 132 Sector WD-N B9-1". It's a red dwarf, 15.5 LY away from VY Can Maj, in the approximate direction of Barnards Loop.

- Once there, jump to VY Canis Majoris. Throttle to zero before you arrive, so you come to a dead stop ASAP. You are now in a fixed, predetermined location in the VY Can Maj system, about 5900 Ls away from the giant star.

- Turn your ship around roughly 180 degrees; with the star directly behind you (without a rear-view mirror, you'll have to use the supercruise radar), you should now be pointing more or less directly at the Barnard's Loop cluster of nebulae.

- Aim your ship in this general direction:
085fpL1.jpg

If you have trouble figuring out which way this is, then select the star "Col 132 Sector DQ-X d1-46" on the galaxy map (it's a type A star about 77 LY away from VY Can Maj - you won't be jumping to that system, you're just using it as a navigational aid). Point your ship right at that star (there is some tolerance, but not much) and start supercruising out.

- Fly out to about 7000 Ls from VY Can Min. Keep an eye on your navigation tab and be ready to hit the brakes when the "Gargantuan" beacon appears.

This is a somewhat convoluted method, but it is scientifically repeatable.

The beacon is not in an heliosynchronous (is that the right term?) orbit around the sun, so it's position will change with time. While your orbital measurements may be exact, the reference you give with the background nebula will become incorrect quickly.

However, nice instructive post, it is nice that you take the time to help out people that way.

I don't think things like tourist and nav beacons "orbit". I think they "hover", staying fixed at the same point. At least, I have been assuming that, since they aren't shown with orbital lines, that they don't orbit. Happy to see evidence one way or the other.

Another fail ....

IF reached the "Gargantuan": endless ORCA / Beluga jump in and out. Nothing in SC.
No clue how to catch this beacon without this nice advice.
At least i now know why this "Famous Explorer" pay me 7,5Mio Cr: He also was unable to find the place ...
Thanks to OP!

...or... FDev could move the beacon and have it orbit the brown dwarf....
Though, I guess that would be a too simple solution. :D

Nice work OP.

But now I have to ask, are tourist beacons working as expected in this regard? I mean to wander aimlessly (or follow a friendly forum post ;)), until you stumble upon them?
These are actual tourist destinations, right? You'd expect to see them on every map (aka. nav beacon or ADS scan).
A secret/hidden tourist spot is a bit of an oxymoron.

It was mentioned in the Bug Report thread, that ideally, the mechanism should be changed, such that Tourist Beacons are either visible at infinite range, or they appear when you honk the system. Or maybe, even a "Tour Guide Scanner" that you can equip, which shows up all the tourist beacons when you honk with it. As you say, tourist beacons should be trying really, really hard to be found, by tourists (and their drivers) at least. And to FD's QA team: please don't allow this thread to become "the permanent solution" to finding this beacon; we'd really prefer the beacon be easily findable in-game, without having to resort to the forums.

Beacons as currently implemented are "mostly working right" since it isn't going to be a problem for most beacons, as most beacons are well within 1000 Ls of the object that's supposed to be the tourist spot. It's really only for the supergiant stars, or if beacons have been dumped way out in deep space for some reason (are there beacons out at the Voyager probe sites?) that finding the beacon will prove difficult.

The other time it becomes a problem is if the mission is glitchy and doesn't tell you exactly where in the system you find the next beacon and it is actually around a planet more than 1000 Ls away from the jump-in point. But that's a glitch with the missions, not the beacons. I don't know if searching for, finding, and scanning the beacon will help in that case anyhow, since you need to scan tourist beacons in the "correct order" for the mission to accept them as valid scans.

Great work CMDR! I spent a couple hours looking for this beacon the other night, but found it easily and quickly just now thanks to you. Much appreciated!

Wouldn't help. Unless they change the mechanic, scanning the nav beacon only shows up the tourist beacon if the tourist beacon is within 1000 Ls of the nav beacon.

Nav beacons only show up when you're within 1000 Ls of them too, so that wouldn't help with VY Can Maj - the nav beacon would be just as hard to find as the tourist beacon.

Why change anything. If it is there, then its there to be found. Just because it might be difficult does not mean it is wrong either.

Ingenuity and persistence prevailed and for that I commend you Cmdr. The game needs more like you. +1

Why change anything. If it is there, then its there to be found. Just because it might be difficult does not mean it is wrong either.

Ingenuity and persistence prevailed and for that I commend you Cmdr. The game needs more like you. +1

Is that tourist beacon or hidden treasure? Why it should be difficult to find?

Last edited:

Because this is a broken design and a dumb location for a "tourist beacon".

Like everyone else who has tried to look for it, I have tried and then despaired at finding this elusive beacon. The star VY Can Maj is so large, that the beacon has had to be placed quite far away from the star - and since beacons only show up when they're less than 1000 Ls away, searching for it by flying around randomly is like searching for something in a darkened room with a laser pointer as your only lightsource.

But now, help is at hand! Thanks to information posted by Ray "Stingray" Robertson in this bug report thread, we can now offer a definitive guide to finding Gargantuan.

The beacon is situated at a point 7020 Ls away from VY Canis Majoris, and (currently) 13157 Ls away from the small Y-class secondary star, the only other object in the system. Unfortunately, these two measurements actually define a circle in space, rather than a "point". So, if you like doing things the hard way, you can do what I just did to find the beacon, and fly to a point at those distances and then slowly fly around the circle, keeping those distances constant, until you eventually get in range of the beacon. It should take you a quarter to a half hour to do this.

Prior to 2.2, the point at which you arrives at a star was random. Now, with 2.2, it is constant: if you jump into the system from a certain star, you will always arrive at the exact same place relative to the star and to other fixed navpoints around that star - such as tourist beacons.

FD have not placed the beacon in a "logical" place, such as in a direct line from Sol. They have, in fact, placed the beacon almost in a direct line coming from the Orion Nebula/Barnards Loop region. So, here's how I suggest you find it.

- Jump to the system "Col 132 Sector WD-N B9-1". It's a red dwarf, 15.5 LY away from VY Can Maj, in the approximate direction of Barnards Loop.

- Once there, jump to VY Canis Majoris. Throttle to zero before you arrive, so you come to a dead stop ASAP. You are now in a fixed, predetermined location in the VY Can Maj system, about 5900 Ls away from the giant star.

- Turn your ship around roughly 180 degrees; with the star directly behind you (without a rear-view mirror, you'll have to use the supercruise radar), you should now be pointing more or less directly at the Barnard's Loop cluster of nebulae.

http://i.imgur.com/085fpL1.jpg
If you have trouble figuring out which way this is, then select the star "Col 132 Sector DQ-X d1-46" on the galaxy map (it's a type A star about 77 LY away from VY Can Maj - you won't be jumping to that system, you're just using it as a navigational aid). Point your ship right at that star (there is some tolerance, but not much) and start supercruising out.

- Fly out to about 7000 Ls from VY Can Min. Keep an eye on your navigation tab and be ready to hit the brakes when the "Gargantuan" beacon appears.

Thank you. I think I can now reinstall the game.

After I played through The Witcher.

Kudos

http://i.imgur.com/085fpL1.jpg

[up]You saved me a night of frustration. The picture is great! Would not have found it otherwise. but when I got lined up, it took about 10 seconds for the target to appear. I owe you several mugs containing your choice. Big_DSH

Top Bottom