Newcomer / Intro HCS VoicePack Keybinds Setup

No doubt there is an obvious answer to this which I have missed or over-thought, so bear with me....

I have gotten an HCS voice pack (well, two, actually).
I have set up Voice Attack and trained it.
I have a functioning jolly nice headset and microphone.
I have installed the Voice Packs into Voice Attack successfully, (with the singularity thingy, all modern and everything)

What I'm not sure of now is what to do with the keybinds....

I have a heavily customised binds file which I use with my T16000M HOTAS.
I understand (dimly) that HCS needs a set of binds for every control, and that these need to be actual key presses.
I know that there is a binds file supplied with the Voice Pack, which claims to be compatible with a T16000M setup. From the info and documentation, it looks like it is suggested to import the supplied HCS binds file to make it work.

My question(s) are these:

1: If I import the HCS binds file, won't that overwrite my current binds?
2: How can I keep my current binds, but set up the binds the HCS needs?
3: What have I missed?

Many thanks in advance :)

This is a bit complicated.
Firstly, yes, you will lose your key binds if you use HCS profile.

BUT

I would strongly recommend you to do so, anyway. Setting up keybinds VA needs in a non-HCS profile never worked right for me.
So every time I reinstall and need to set this up again, I use that and re-bind my HOTAS.

Here's how you do it.
Run VA, let everything load. Say "Protocol override, customize my settings" A window will pop up with various options and customizations and one of them is to generate a HCS .binds file. Do it and it will add the file into the game.
Then start Elite and in Controls, choose the HCS profile as your controls in the pop-up at the top.
Then use the second binding column in that profile to bind your HOTAS.

I know, it's ten minutes of work, but that way you will avoid all the possible problems and, after all, binding your HOTAS onto HCS-generated profile is still faster than the other way around - binding the macros and all the convoluted combinations of keypresses VA requires onto your original profile.

Believe me. I've tried.

Just to be contrary - I don't use the HCS bindings. Just look at the "missing keybinds" customiser creates and then assign key binds for those (Missing keyBind Report button next to the KeyBind Creator). That's what I do anyway.

Just to be contrary - I don't use the HCS bindings. Just look at the "missing keybinds" customiser creates and then assign key binds for those (Missing keyBind Report button next to the KeyBind Creator). That's what I do anyway.
But that's much more work than re-binding your HOTAS, no?

But that's much more work than re-binding your HOTAS, no?

Not is you only have a few key-binds missing. I only had to alter some galaxy-map navigation keys as the ones I had conflicted - so I just used LeftShift+(the same keys) and that worked.

Maybe I just had everything else available 'cos of OCD in the first place. ;)

Plus rebinding CHPro throttle, fighterstick and 2 MFDs would be rather time-consuming I think. LOL

Oh, different options :)

If I have my current binds already saved in a .binds file, at least I can put them back if everything goes a bit piriform, I would hope :)

I don't have many binds unbound, so that makes me think I might have a go at this customiser "Missing Binds" feature; though I have no idea what the "Customiser" either - is this some dark magic that comes with HCS?

I also read that HCS puts binds into the "right hand alternative column" of the control binds in Elite; so if I make sure that all my custom binds are in the left-hand column, would that mean that importing the HCS binds puts them into this right hand column, and my existing binds left intact?

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Say "Protocol override customise my settings" (make sure the mic is on, and be careful the popup can appear behind other windows)

This opens the customiser, one of the buttons shows missing keybinds.

HCS reads the second column only, so anything in the first column binds you can leave as you were. I think it needs keys there rather than mouse buttons or joystick buttons.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Sorry, to be clear.

You don't need to import HCS binds. You need to set binds yourself into the right hand column, you can literally use any key at all. It will read them from there.

Not is you only have a few key-binds missing. I only had to alter some galaxy-map navigation keys as the ones I had conflicted - so I just used LeftShift+(the same keys) and that worked.

Maybe I just had everything else available 'cos of OCD in the first place. ;)

Plus rebinding CHPro throttle, fighterstick and 2 MFDs would be rather time-consuming I think. LOL
If he has a completely custom bindings, ALL bindings will be missing.

If he has a completely custom bindings, ALL bindings will be missing.

I never considered that people would not set any key presses at all - that doesn't fit into any frame of reference I could possibly imagine. o_O

( ... and I am sure if you start from any of the default control schemes there will be keys assigned in that.) EDIT: Wrong it seems. :oops:

Remember HCS doesn't require specific key settings for commands, just that there are keyboard commands available for it to use.

Last edited:
I never considered that people would not set any key presses at all - that doesn't fit into any frame of reference I could possibly imagine. o_O

( ... and I am sure if you start from any of the default control schemes there will be keys assigned in that.)

Remember HCS doesn't require specific key settings for commands, just that there are keyboard commands available for it to use.
I don't know. I kind of go from how I was always doing it - loading up the TM FCS defaults and re-binding them to what I like. I don't know whether the CH profile has any "standard" keyboard bindings, but FCS doesn't.
HCS takes the default keyboard-only profile as a base for their bindings so if you start with anything else than that, you simply don't have any HCS compatible bindings present.

But hey, I really didn't want to turn this into an argument. I just recommended what I think it's the easiest way to get started with VA and not screw up everything right from the get-go.

Ok, so my existing customised binds file doesn't use the keyboard at all, except for the space bar (for camera suite entry, and I can change this to be a HOTAS button combo if needed).
All my binds are set in the left hand column.

Is there any way of merging / creating an HCS bind set into my existing binds?

If not, since Yaffle pointed out that HCS just needs some keys bound into the right hand column, presumably I could just go for it and put in any old keys in there and HCS will pick it up?

Greatly appreciate all your input, HCS is definitely not super straightforward to assimilate, but I'm getting there with all your help :)

... and feedback so far from the HCS Discord is that:

1: There are no supplied bind files any longer (not since latest HCS updates)
2: It doesn't matter what keys are bound in the right-hand column, as long as there are some.
3: You can knock yourself out and put whatever you like in the right-hand column as a keybind, HCS will pick it up.
4: You can use the "Missing Binds" function of the customisation tool to check if you have put all the needed binds in place.

So at this point I think I might spend a pleasant(!) hour amending my existing binds accordingly and then checking it with the "Missing Binds" tool. Though it's going to be tomorrow now; I feel like actually flying a spaceship for a bit at this point :)

I'll report back and let you know how this all goes tomorrow... If it all goes swimmingly, I like the idea of getting the Ship's Cat and Parrot to liven things up as well ;)

I don't know. I kind of go from how I was always doing it - loading up the TM FCS defaults and re-binding them to what I like. I don't know whether the CH profile has any "standard" keyboard bindings, but FCS doesn't.
HCS takes the default keyboard-only profile as a base for their bindings so if you start with anything else than that, you simply don't have any HCS compatible bindings present.

But hey, I really didn't want to turn this into an argument. I just recommended what I think it's the easiest way to get started with VA and not screw up everything right from the get-go.

Sure I am not seeking to argue either and of course I did not realise that some of the default schemes are bereft of keyboard entries. I don't think there is any CHPro preset - I seem to remember using the default KB+M profile to create my original (now much-mangled) profile but I might have used a joystick one to start with, too long ago and passed too much water since to remember now.

So my apologies for commenting from ignorance. :)

@Spaceman Si - hope you enjoy your new experience, I can't fly without either a full crew or else just Cecil to have a laugh whilst doing general operations.

As promised, an update :)

After some initial difficulty with some strange errors that necessitated reloading the singularity profile, I managed to get HCS starting successfully.
Which then meant dealing with the missing binds... That didn't seem to be as difficult as I thought, since you can assign any keys you like, and HCS provides a report of any binds that are missing - so I filled in the right-hand column with keys, and got the missing binds report to say "You have no missing binds!".

So that should have been "job done", I thought :)

Well.. perhaps not quite... I took out my Viper MkIV for a test spin, and there are a few hiccups which I'm sure will get sorted out, but I haven't gotten there yet (or got a clue what to do about them right now ;) ):

When I say "Launch", Cleo acknowledged and said "Standby for launch", but then it switched to the external camera, switched between some of the fixed views a few times, and then left me in it, looking at me in the chair... When I exited the camera suite, I was still firmly on the pad. I read that when launching, HCS does some "flight checks" which is to focus on the left and right panels before launching. It seemed like it was trying to do this, but going into the camera suite instead for some reason.. The binds are all set up, and the only keybinds I have in this profile are for HCS, so I'm not sure what happened here.

Then there is the mysterious case of the Flight Assist... I say "Flight Assist Off", Cleo acknowledges it, and... flight assist stays resolutely on :) I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my binding the same key for Flight assist toggle for both Ship and SRV... though this is perfectly possible and would work in-game, I wonder if that somehow confuses VA / HCS.

Anyway, that aside, I had a fun little first outing, and had a few surprises which made me laugh - the overall experience is very engaging and satisfying, and I look forward to getting it all polished up and learning how to use it more.

As promised, an update :)

After some initial difficulty with some strange errors that necessitated reloading the singularity profile, I managed to get HCS starting successfully.
Which then meant dealing with the missing binds... That didn't seem to be as difficult as I thought, since you can assign any keys you like, and HCS provides a report of any binds that are missing - so I filled in the right-hand column with keys, and got the missing binds report to say "You have no missing binds!".

So that should have been "job done", I thought :)

Well.. perhaps not quite... I took out my Viper MkIV for a test spin, and there are a few hiccups which I'm sure will get sorted out, but I haven't gotten there yet (or got a clue what to do about them right now ;) ):

When I say "Launch", Cleo acknowledged and said "Standby for launch", but then it switched to the external camera, switched between some of the fixed views a few times, and then left me in it, looking at me in the chair... When I exited the camera suite, I was still firmly on the pad. I read that when launching, HCS does some "flight checks" which is to focus on the left and right panels before launching. It seemed like it was trying to do this, but going into the camera suite instead for some reason.. The binds are all set up, and the only keybinds I have in this profile are for HCS, so I'm not sure what happened here.

Then there is the mysterious case of the Flight Assist... I say "Flight Assist Off", Cleo acknowledges it, and... flight assist stays resolutely on :) I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my binding the same key for Flight assist toggle for both Ship and SRV... though this is perfectly possible and would work in-game, I wonder if that somehow confuses VA / HCS.

Anyway, that aside, I had a fun little first outing, and had a few surprises which made me laugh - the overall experience is very engaging and satisfying, and I look forward to getting it all polished up and learning how to use it more.

That means that your keybinds don't work. :)

Top Bottom