Newcomer / Intro HCS VoicePack Keybinds Setup

I imagine so :D:D

What I'm confused about is "why", though.. The keybind reporting tool said I'd got everything set up and wasn't missing any binds, which I naively assumed would mean everything would be ok :)
The reason it tells you keybinds are okay is that there is a keybind in the place HCS expects a keybind. But when you execute the order, it "presses" the keybind it's supposed to press and not the one you've bound.

Under the risk of repeating myself and become annoying - I'd urge you to use the customizer to create a proper HCS binds file, then loading it in the Controls, ensuring that HSC has all the right keybinds and then fill the other column with your HOTAS bindings. In other words, the exact opposite than what you've done.
I don't doubt it could work, sometimes. It definitely worked for Para, apparently. But it has never worked for me. That's why I suggested to save yourself a headache in my first post. :)

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Check in the left hand column for the keys you have set to the camera. It's also possible that you've set a compound keystroke (ctrl+1 for example) that isn't propogating properly.
You can check by opening a text document, make that active, then say 'launch'. HCS will dutifully output the keystrokes its doing to the document. You can see what's going on then.

Check in the left hand column for the keys you have set to the camera. It's also possible that you've set a compound keystroke (ctrl+1 for example) that isn't propogating properly.
You can check by opening a text document, make that active, then say 'launch'. HCS will dutifully output the keystrokes its doing to the document. You can see what's going on then.
Hey that's a good trick.

The reason it tells you keybinds are okay is that there is a keybind in the place HCS expects a keybind. But when you execute the order, it "presses" the keybind it's supposed to press and not the one you've bound.

Ah...

That was what I thought it didn't do, these days.. and the impression I got from answers on the Discord and from the current (slightly sketchy) documentation was that it really didn't matter what keys were bound, just as long as there was a key there in the right-hand column bind. I was even told "We don't provide a bind file anymore" because you could just bang in whatever you wanted :)

Funny thing is, lots of stuff does work, and I assigned some really odd key combinations to some of them in the end. Things like requesting docking permission worked just fine, for example.

Will do some experimentation and update later!

Great idea, thanks Yaffle :)

Does it have some trouble with compound strokes? I have used a few of them, largely as I was running out of keys after a while :D

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Great idea, thanks Yaffle :)

Does it have some trouble with compound strokes? I have used a few of them, largely as I was running out of keys after a while :D
I've never had trouble with them, but they seem a likely candidate for issues if the virtual keyboard is struggling.

Latest report, two steps forward, one not exactly backward but dragging ;)

I worked out what was going on with the camera being selected. Turned out that I had put in "Space" for the UI panel select key, when I had forgotten that I was already using it in the left-hand column to start the camera suite. I should have remembered that, so a definite PICNIC problem there....

Flight assist has been fixed as well, and highlighted an important point about compound keys - I worked this out thanks to Yaffle's suggestion of using Notepad and being a bit wary of compounds. In short, If you use compound strokes, do not use a modifier key on it's own in another bind. In my case, I had "Flight Assist Mode" set to be "<Left Alt> Z", but had elsewhere set "<Left Alt>" on its own to do something. So when VA does it's thing, it presses <Left Alt> which did nothing in the context of flying, and then "Z" which was set to "Thrust zero". Problem solved by changing the single "<Left Alt>" bind to be something else.

The thing that is puzzling me now is the thrust levels. It doesn't seem to engage reverse thrust ever. And up to 50% thrust forward only increments by about 1 or 2%, thereafter it is just fine. Does the digital throttle mode need to be stepped or continuous? And does the throttle need to be set at Full Range or Forward Only? I'm less inclined to use the throttle controls, as I enjoy using the HOTAS throttle, but I'm curious as to know what is going on here.

The novelty of saying "Request Docking" and having the request sent automatically isn't going to get old anytime soon :) Neither are some of Cleo's responses, especially on "Profane" setting :D

just to correct a bit of confusion:
we read the binds from either column, if both have keybinds in then it will use the secondary
the keybind creator can add missing keys to an existing set of binds. It won't alter your own binds but makes a new copy with the extra binds added. You just select your custom binds in the bottom right window of the keybind creator

Top Bottom