Headtracking - Why haven't you tried it yet?

Every time I think of getting something like TrackIR, the price just throws me away. It's half of the price of VR googles for Pete's sake!

But you don't have to have a box strapped to your face and it can be used in a whole multitude of games and sims.

I don't know why the price is so high (£160 or so if you can find one) and I cannot remember what I paid for mine many years ago but it is seriously a great addition for any sim, particularly for people like me who just can't "get on" with VR (yes I have tried that).

Track IR might seem pricey? US$150. ...

Just an anecdote I hope you guys don't mind, with the moral of the story I guess that you get what you pay for. If you're in the simming game for the long haul, Track IR is a really good investment.

I appreciate the effort and time you put in to that reply. Thanks for the lecture? I understand what you're saying, but I'm not some kid that needs a life lesson on a gaming forum. :) If someone thinks something is pricey and you don't, yay you! You get a lot of use out of it. I will not. (Please don't take my snark offensively ... i'm laughing as I write this because I can see me typing what you did on other forums!)

Yes, even with my comfortable mid-life disposable income, $150 for something I'll only use in one game is a bit pricey. That's why I haven't splurged on a good HOTAS either. And I'd wager most casual users feel the same. As someone else pointed out, VR may be the way I'll go. That I would get a lot more use from.

But I'll go find the PS3 camera and see if I can jerry-rig something for free -- maybe dust off my coding brain cells if necessary.

Why do I need it on monitor? At most my eyes move a little
The head tracking set up I used to play with was great for accessing the side pilot info windows. Turn my head a bit to the left and pull up the objects in the system to lock on to, etc. It saved a button to be mapped, remembered, pressed, etc. It's a decent quality of life addon. It's just faster and more natural to look around than using buttons/controls for that while in combat (my hand can focus on pilot zkillz :) ).

The Tobii videos I've seen of eye tracking for Elite Dangerous look pretty kool. Now ... eye tracking in VR HMD seems like the best option and not so limited in scope. Looks like Tobii has shown some demos, but it's still not ubiquitous. It will be someday, and that will be sweet.

as I have a 3D monitor I use too have to swap to an older driver and run the helix 3D shader mod that coupled to track ir
was pretty much hi resolution 3D and as close to a toaster face unit as you can get without any wires etc
but some of my games now require the latest drivers so no 3D atm in elite

Last edited:
Every time I think of getting something like TrackIR, the price just throws me away. It's half of the price of VR googles for Pete's sake!
And probably needs half the GPU that VR does too, I jest but TIR works flawlessly on my ancient rig and keeps me sociable enough if necessary with my better half. I couldn't run VR for Hardware or Marital reasons and TIR fills that role perfectly

Thats exactly why I made my own IR headset - you don't have to spend loads and it's been 100% faultless! It uses the exact same 3-point system as trackIR
Making it myself seemed like a daunting task - I have almost no experience in those kind of things. But while I was looking online for that PS3 camera to see if it's even possible to get, I've found a guy who makes and sells the whole thing with 3d printed elements for the clip and something to attach camera to the monitor. I've spent about twice the amount it cost you to build your set, but still way, way less than TrackIR, and still a price I was able to understand.
Works really good and it's interesting to look around using my head... which is weird thing to say 😆

Making it myself seemed like a daunting task - I have almost no experience in those kind of things. But while I was looking online for that PS3 camera to see if it's even possible to get, I've found a guy who makes and sells the whole thing with 3d printed elements for the clip and something to attach camera to the monitor. I've spent about twice the amount it cost you to build your set, but still way, way less than TrackIR, and still a price I was able to understand.
Works really good and it's interesting to look around using my head... which is weird thing to say 😆
Thats a great idea too! I rcently got a 3d printer and haven't even thought about making a nice casing for it all to go into - thanks for the tip!
Glad you found another cheap option. It's great when you find a cheap way to do something that works faultlessly! How are you finding it? For me, it took a bit of adjusting to to start with, but now everything feels really static if I try and play without it!

Thats a great idea too! I rcently got a 3d printer and haven't even thought about making a nice casing for it all to go into - thanks for the tip!
Glad you found another cheap option. It's great when you find a cheap way to do something that works faultlessly! How are you finding it? For me, it took a bit of adjusting to to start with, but now everything feels really static if I try and play without it!
Took me a while to get the settings right in Opentrack, but now it's perfect. Thanks for inspiration!
As for the 3d printed elements, my clip looks almost exactly like the one on that video:
Source: https://youtu.be/5Nimz4M-sxU

I use a TrackIR 5 system with Elite Dangerous and anytime it's turned off, it feels like my neck is locked in the game. Can't play without it now.

INRA Elite Dangerous Signature.jpg

I was a TrackIR 3 for MS Flight/combat sims and driving sim (also used it in Amra2) until the wire disintegrated.

So I was left with a dilemma, But the Can`t be brigade said its time for a change, the TR3 will still be stored for when the sensible Side came back in the room.
(the Room which had no padding)

So I purchased my 1st HMD, over two years ago and haven't looked back since.

Now I`m on my 2nd HMD, HP G2.

Big Difference in Dirt Rally 2, can read the DashBoard.
DR2 in VR is wonderful, great 3d cockpit, fantastic Sence of the road Depth, Something that Flat gamming cant reproduce.
(thanks to Nvidia for Killing Off 3D (Being Sarcastic))

As Of Strontium dog, I too played Elite in 3D with TrackIR, Great Times, and sad time`s when we had ghosting and the Limitations of 24Htz for 1080 gaming.😠

Good posts Gents and a pleasure to read. 😊

I've been playing with a piece of software called viewtracker I found on steam and it works great without ir and it's only 17 bucks CAD. Lighting however is important. so no dark rooms.

there is a even way to do it with a mobile phone strapped to your head too methinks
I think the moral of this thread is a bit like the Nike logo
I don't care how you do it
just do it✔️

viewTracker and voiceattack, all the access you ever need. Stated with them in Eurotruck Simulator and progressed them here.
I have way too many commands in VoiceAttack and set up automated landing request eventually.
The view tracker unfortunately needs a light environment to see your head and take a while to get the settings to make looking around the cockpit feel natural.
Taking a drink though causes some funny reactions from the software :oops::LOL::ROFLMAO:
The voice attack required some rudimentary programming skills.

I bought Tobii Eyetracker5, but found it too annoying as I never realised quite how much my eyes roam around the screen when playing. Might give it another go as I have the kit.

Well view tracker from steam follows the head,not the eyes so your eyes are free to roam separately.
Cheap too, no additional hardware other than a 60fps, recommended, camera.
It does take a while to get the response curves set up but worth it on a low budget 👍🏻 and it handles 6 axies of freedom.

I have TrackIR, and used it for a while. I thought it was pretty cool, but I dislike wearing a hat or visor all the time -- it's too annoying. So I stopped using head tracking. I just use the mouse to look around if I need to.

I've been using Trackclip Pro since it was released. I do a lot of flight sim flying... :)

I took a girls plastic hair band and modified it (heated and bend, trimmed, etc.) so that I clip the IRs to the hair band and just put it on my head. It's comparatively light, and I don't have to wear a hat with those silly reflectors stuck on it.

I looked at Tobii, but they don't support 34" 1440p ultra-wide monitors. I won't fly my sims, or this game if I ever start playing again, without my head tracking. (y)

Top Bottom