Heated Armor Panels / Heat Module

Heated Armor Panels / Heat Module

It seems that Thargoids use weapons that are not so effective against heat. I would like to have gold plated heat panels / modules to roast the green stuff off my ship.

By this I would not roast my own ship modules, but the heat will be distributed so that it will remove the caustic burn off the ship. The heat would be adjusted so that modules would not get damaged.
Using this mod of course would use lot of energy because it needs to burn the alien material and same time keep the critical systems cool. It would most likely cause system shut down for safety reasons...

Well time to make some Japanese Nori.

I see where you are coming from; but I would save the slot and head for the nearest star, if that roasted off the green stuff.

Seems very plausible, but if your ship is like really in edge of explosion and you need to fix the caustic burn immediately.

Seems very plausible, but if your ship is like really in edge of explosion and you need to fix the caustic burn immediately.
I see: Haven't upset them yet, but I understand what you are saying.

Maybe a drone option, but module would be just as good.

flamethrowers need some form of atmosphere.
for balance purposes (its currently useless) what if EMP fried all thargoid goop in its area of effect? did nothing to the thargoid itself but cleared yourself and any others as well as destroying drones?

flamethrowers need some form of atmosphere.
for balance purposes (its currently useless) what if EMP fried all thargoid goop in its area of effect? did nothing to the thargoid itself but cleared yourself and any others as well as destroying drones?

Of course flamethrowers need an atmosphere to work, that was the joke :p The EMP utility sounds like it might work, but it is already useful for getting rid of torps/missiles (more so for torps).

What about having a microwave generator as a utility mount to get rid of the goop? Assuming that the thargoid goop contains a significant amount of ammonia, generating microwaves at the natural vibration frequency of ammonia would cause the goop (and anything else that is close enough and has a significant amount of ammonia) to heat up. This is the exact same thing that a microwave oven does, but it uses the frequency for water instead of ammonia. Any thoughts?

Of course flamethrowers need an atmosphere to work, that was the joke :p
Not always! Maybe it could really work.

The Germans spent a while during WWII developing self-igniting flamethrowers, using Chlorine Trifluoride to form a hypergolic mixture with the fuel. They succeeded in making flamethrowers that did indeed self-ignite, just at random whilst they were being worn, instead of on demand.

Now I'm not suggesting we carry Chlorine Triofluoride on our ships, since that stuff is about as nasty as it gets, but there's plenty of hypergolic mixtures you could actually use to make a flamethrower in space. Maybe this is a new type of limpet controller?

The flamethrower does not need anything else but fuels and oxygen .. Both of those can be transported. However heat panels does not require flames in space. All they need is a bit of U=RI.

Hello, all. :)

As far as the main topic is concerned, it's an interesting concept, but I'd've thought the easier thing for FD to develop would be a more conventionally-expressed caustic-resistant Engineered armour or AX hull-repair limpets, presumably avoiding the need for much new mechanics or graphical work.

As far as space-flamethrowers are concerned... I always thought they were a fantastic idea. Proper ones, mind you: differently articulated from other weapons, photogenic and at least a little unpredictable and scary, not just existing weapons with extra heat effects. Never did happen, though.

Now we're wanting space-flamethrowers again... as a drone-mounted healing mechanic?! That's so fantastic, I can't even words. :D

Last edited:
As far as space-flamethrowers are concerned... I always thought they were a fantastic idea. Proper ones, mind you: differently articulated from other weapons, photogenic and at least a little unpredictable and scary, not just existing weapons with extra heat effects. Never did happen, though.

Well the problem there is, in order for a flamethrower to be effective, you need to be impolitely close to the other ship. I would much rather put a canister of Chlorine Trifluoride or FOOF into an armour piercing torpedo, and just let physics happen. Can we try this on Thargoids?

Ah! Smug mode. Although not too much, of course, since it was hardly the most difficult call to begin with. I wonder if we might find another reason calling for this suggestion's content, somewhere down the line. Ultra-cold weapons and environments, anyone... ? :)

Top Bottom