Helium Rich Gas Giants

Well that's remarkable.

I have just recently returned from my around the galaxy trip and I am out near Colonia way doing some surveying for a friend and I have hit the mother load of Helium Rich Gas Giants. I have visited over 22k systems altogether, my total count of Helium Rich Gas Giants from all those systems is 16, before entering this system it was 11, in this one system I have found five Helium Rich Gas Giants.

Is that as remarkable as I think it is?

They do sometimes cluster up like that. If the system has any, it might have several. Still a very nice find though, since they exist in so few places!

Deleted member 38366

D
If you display all Star types and zoom out, you'll see a typical color distribution for the respective boxel.

Moving down/up and left/right will more or less show the next boxel with its own assortment of "specials".

Once a "rich cluster" is found, alot of adjacent Systems will offer the same; that allows for mass-scanning of respective Object types if desired.

Check out Redfox's Helium-hunting thread for some interesting observations on exactly what circumstances cause HRGGs to become likely to appear.

Basically, each star system has a certain proportion of hydrogen to helium, across all objects within the system. If that constant is above 30%, then each gas giant the Stellar Forge creates has a chance to be branded a HRGG. The higher the helium percentage, the higher the probability of a HRGG. "Boxels" of stars - stars that all have similar mass and ID codes - all tend to have similar helium levels, so if you want to ramp up your HRGG counts, when you find one system with HRGGs, try visiting all their neighbours with similar ID codes.

It's also been noted that the Galactic Core is a HRGG-free-zone. There's probably a deep, astronomy-based reason for making the Core such a helium-depleted area. Population I stars versus Population II stars, and so forth.

I found more of them the further rimward I went, certainly.

In one remote “real” NGC cluster I surveyed out at the edge, I found one system with 7 of them in it. Most systems out there had at least 1.

@Sapyx summarised it nicely, so if you're still close, do check out the other systems in that boxel. Chances are you'll multiply your HRGG count easily. Good luck!

Edit/PS: Went back and checked our data from back then and of of the 2120 systems we surveyed 670 contained HRGGs, and within those 670 systems only around 1% contained 11 or more HRGG - so I'd say NICE FIND! @Orvidius might do some SQL magic and let us know how that number ranks in the big picture of EDSM data?

Last edited:
I found more of them the further rimward I went, certainly.

In one remote “real” NGC cluster I surveyed out at the edge, I found one system with 7 of them in it. Most systems out there had at least 1.
Interesting this is I am more coreward than rimward, would be nice to see a distribution chart across the galaxy of stuff like this. I ran around the edges a bit during my circumnavigation and never found this many in one system.

Interesting this is I am more coreward than rimward, would be nice to see a distribution chart across the galaxy of stuff like this. I ran around the edges a bit during my circumnavigation and never found this many in one system.

Redfox has charted the distribution of HRGGs reported to EDSM as of two years ago; you can see the plot in the OP of this thread, along with plots for AWs, ELWs and WWs. The charts are biased towards places where many CMDRs have been, but the big ol' hole in the centre of the HRGG chart is unmistakeable.

For the click-o-phobic, I'll repost the picture here, assuming Redfox doesn't mind me stealing it:

tvTAWeCD_o.png

Another feature evident on this chart: HRGGs only occur inside the actual spiral arms; they don't occur in the gaps between the arms. The wide gap immediately south of Sol is clearly visible; this marks the gap between the Orion Spur and the Perseus Arm. Once again, I'm assuming a Pop I / Pop II division here as the fundamental cause.

Another feature evident on this chart: HRGGs only occur inside the actual spiral arms; they don't occur in the gaps between the arms.

Star density between the arms is significantly lower. It's possible that players simply haven't found any systems with HRGG between the arms - as of two years ago.

Star density between the arms is significantly lower. It's possible that players simply haven't found any systems with HRGG between the arms - as of two years ago.

Yes that's very interesting, I seem to be in a bit of hole in the records here with very few HRGG in my area, but as you say that may simply be because this area wasn't heavily trafficked when the distribution graph was made two years ago. You can certainly see the line that runs out to Colonia, and from Colonia there's the start of a line towards Beagle Point, I am sure that will be well filled in by now.

Can't wait for an updated map.

Hot off the presses. They're sparse enough that you'll probably need to view the map at 1:1 in your web browser, since the averaging that happens with a zoomed-out view will hide a lot of it. They still appear to occur mostly in the arm interiors, and that core-gap is still sharply visible as well.

(Reduced size JPG, click for full size PNG)

I just noticed that there's one pixel that is close to the center of the core. That's actually a "Helium gas giant" and not a "Helium-rich gas giant", which the script is adding together. I'm going to colorize those separately, but it'll take time. The programs are currently running a scheduled update of all of the maps, etc, which will take a few hours. It looks like it hasn't started the maps yet (still importing data), so that should automatically update along with the rest.

Last edited:
Hot off the presses. They're sparse enough that you'll probably need to view the map at 1:1 in your web browser, since the averaging that happens with a zoomed-out view will hide a lot of it. They still appear to occur mostly in the arm interiors, and that core-gap is still sharply visible as well.

Well done!

I guess we can confirm that HRGG don't appear in the core, nor are much less likely in the intra-arm voids.

(Is that a few in the voids that I see?)

I just noticed that there's one pixel that is close to the center of the core. That's actually a "Helium gas giant" and not a "Helium-rich gas giant", which the script is adding together. I'm going to colorize those separately, but it'll take time. The programs are currently running a scheduled update of all of the maps, etc, which will take a few hours. It looks like it hasn't started the maps yet (still importing data), so that should automatically update along with the rest.

Hah, you might skip the Helium gas giants, since you will get a total of TWO systems with those.

I just noticed that there's one pixel that is close to the center of the core. That's actually a "Helium gas giant" and not a "Helium-rich gas giant", which the script is adding together.
Ah, interesting! I only know of 52 Herculis. Can you share the name of this system in the core?

Top Bottom