Newcomer / Intro Hell Razors' Mentoring Agency

Recently I have been helping a couple of new Commanders get started (both Mac players). Both are now in possession of ships worth over 200Kcr, as well as decent value cargo and enough credits for a buy back. I am enjoying helping Commanders like this, and I suggest a formalised system that can allow other experienced Commanders give new Commanders a good start into the game. The learning curve in this game is so steep that mountain goats use pitons and ropes to get around!

First, let me explain how I do this (through trading). I have found a decent trade route with a consistent profit of 1000cr per unit each way (about 14ly between locations). It is not too far away from the starting areas with the ED Galaxy. I then head towards one of the starting points, carrying cargo that I know will sell well. Once I am in that system, I start watching for player Sidewinders, and when there are several, send a local broadcast. This is along the lines of "Are there and Commanders is Sidewinders interested in a few thousand?" (I choose Sidewinders as it is likely these will have new Commanders flying them), and then go on to offer mentoring. I then ask them to send me the correct Wing Invite (so that, if we decide to go for the mentoring, they have shown me they can use the comms system correctly). After a deadline has expired (I will state this in my broadcast) I sell my cargo (thereby giving them some trade vouchers, which I explain how to cash in), and then buy some cargo more to take back. I then ask them to plot the route to my trade route, make sure they have a fuel scoop and a C2 FSD (to speed up the journey back; the trade dividend will have covered these), and then we head out, with the new Commander taking the lead (as my Anaconda can out-jump a stock Sidewinder). At each safe star we scoop fuel (my attitude is that you don't know when you can next re-fuel), and continue on our way (chatting along the way, hopefully me offering useful advise and answering their questions). Once there I ask them to park up while I do a couple of runs, which then should give them enough in trade vouchers to allow them to buy a B2 FSD, giving them the range to fly alongside me. A few more runs gets them the A2 FSD, so now they can carry cargo along the same route. Although the trade vouchers are (in my financial situation) are negligible, from their perspective it is a lot of credits. If time permits we do a few trade runs, enough to fit out the Sidewinder for combat, and then go RES farming. When we did this one new Commander had over 1Mcr in assets after a few hours (around 5), part being a new Cobra III!

What I am suggesting is this; Experienced Commanders let it be known that they are willing to mentor, and new Commanders can see there are those willing to help. There are a few guidelines to follow, and I believe them to be fair.
  • First, please be courteous. The experienced Commanders are taking time out to help, and (for those that are trading) showing new Commanders a decent trade route, while the new Commanders have recognised they would benefit from assistance, and have yet to learn the tricks of the game.
  • Second, please arrange via PM as to the rendezvous, to allow for relative safety of the new players (and to protect the experienced players areas of interest).
  • Third, agree an acceptable point where the mentoring can cease (for example, getting a stock Sidewinder up to A Max, excluding the weaponry).
  • Fourth, for those that are learning/teaching the arts of piracy or combat please ensure that the new Commanders can afford the repairs before heading out. If a willing experienced Commander is prepared to act as the victim please make sure to stop when an agreed endpoint has been reached.
  • Fifth, although there are factions in the game, please do not try to influence Commanders as to which faction they should go for. If they ask for your opinion, keep it honest and clean (no bad mouthing factions other than your own).
  • Sixth, please do not involve each other in your fights. This is a mentoring agency, not a recruiting arena. I want this agency to be known not to choose sides (in anything other than helping new Commanders to get a good start in the game).
  • Seventh, if any Commanders know of any exploits or cheats, do NOT pass them on under ANY circumstances. New Commanders have enough difficulties as it is without getting on the wrong side of Frontier Developments.
All being well, everybody should get enjoyment and satisfaction from this. Personally I would suggest that getting a new Commander into a decent spec Sidewinder is a good first goal, and then they may want to move on and learn new skills from another experienced Commander. It would help if Commanders have microphones and speakers to allow for vocal communications, to make communication easier.

Any experienced Commanders who are prepared to do this should post up their time zone (to help new Commanders choose those who are likely to be in game at the same time), what skills they are prepared to teach, and what languages they can speak fluently (to help as many new Commanders as possible). If an experienced Commander will be away from the game for a while (holidays, for example), please can they post this up? When they get back, if they are still willing to mentor, please post that you are back.

New Commanders, when you PM a prospective mentor please allow for delays, and the fact you may have to travel (in the game, that is). When I accept a friends request I will let you know if I can come to your game location, or (if I am mentoring other new Commanders) where I am so that you can get to my location (in this case I would suggest you use Solo play to get to me reasonably safely), or if I am unavailable (running a mission for example, or the wing is full). I would also suggest that you have learnt the basic flight skills, especially docking, as if you cannot safely land we are not going to be able to help you.

Post now created in the Introductions section linking to this post.

Hell Razor5543. I am in the GMT time-zone, I will try and teach trading and basic RES farming (Resource Extraction Sources, where we may find WANTED NPCs attacking miners), and I can only speak English. I have a microphone and speakers (and a headset). I will be unavailable from 13th to 30th June.
-

CarlosMaximus. GMT +1. Most of the useful ED skills. English, with some French language. Has voice communication equipment.
-

Last edited:
I am trying to improve the suggestion (visually), but I am struggling with how FD manages the post formatting. If any Moderator reads this could you let me know how to improve my formatting. Thanks.

You have my respect for wanting to take time out to help new players.

ETA:
One thing that you might want to consider is taking new players into a private group until they have that B/A FSD and then go into open. That way it gives them a little time to get used to the controls and gain some understanding of the game without some clown interdicting them for the lols. I have read a couple of threads about new people being attacked and whilst the action it is perfectly legitimate it can put some people off (bad experience never to return).

Last edited:
While I am willing to help any new Commanders, my idea is that this post is to allow other experienced Commanders to offer mentoring to new Commanders. I will consider setting up a PG, but I like Open Play (despite its drawbacks), and I might encounter new Commanders who have not yet discovered the forum or this thread.

One suggestion, because some folks may be tempted to for something like this.

Do not, under any circumstances, use the wing beacons to instajump between systems to speed this up. I spoke to a CSR (since getting FD to answer questions here is an exercise in futility most days) who informed me that using the beacons in that manner is indeed an exploit, they are aware of it, and to steer clear of using it.

I'd really hate to see a good idea ruined by temptation, especially since both parties could end up rolled back or worse. In a case like that, the 'mentor' may not take much of a financial hit, but it could be devastating to a new player to lose their upgraded ship and most/all of their credits.

+Rep to OP for being a stand up guy and helping out the youngsters. :D

Last edited:
One suggestion, because some folks may be tempted to for something like this.

Do not, under any circumstances, use the wing beacons to instajump between systems to speed this up. I spoke to a CSR (since getting FD to answer questions here is an exercise in futility most days) who informed me that using the beacons in that manner is indeed an exploit, they are aware of it, and to steer clear of using it.

I'd really hate to see a good idea ruined by temptation, especially since both parties could end up rolled back or worse. In a case like that, the 'mentor' may not take much of a financial hit, but it could be devastating to a new player to lose their upgraded ship and most/all of their credits.

+Rep to OP for being a stand up guy and helping out the youngsters. :D

I admit that recently I did this as part of a wing because I did not realise it was an exploit at that time. I have not done so since finding out, and I will not even mention it to any new Commanders I am helping. If we decide to make use of the wingman beacon I will only ask for the new Commander to activate his when I am in-system, and vice versa. Thank you for the advise, and the concern.

Last edited:
Are there any experienced Commanders out there willing to mentor new Commanders? If there are, please can you post your details here. Thanks, from me and any new Commanders you help.

This is a fantastic idea, and one I'd like to volunteer for. My timezone is GMT+1, I speak English like a native ;) and I have some French, but not what I'd call fluent. I'd say I'm competent at most, if not all aspects of the game, and could attempt to teach new players the art of using planets as a brake in SuperCruise to approach stations quickly without overshooting, as well as familiarising them with the basics in all areas of the game. Please note that real life is sometimes hectic and unpredictable, therefore I cannot offer set-in-stone logon times and it would be more of an ad-hoc basis as to whether I'm available.

My CMDR name is the same as here, CarlosMaximus, and I do sometimes patrol the starter systems anyway, just to keep an eye out for "gankers", and try to step in when I can.

I will do. Can I assume that your forum name and game name are the same (they are for me)?
EDIT; Details added to first post.

Last edited:
If the new Commanders have either a joystick configuration or have learnt the key bindings it would help (especially those relating to in game communications). I was in LHS 3447, offering to wing up, but I was unable at that time to explain how to accept the wingman invite. I know it can be done, but I will have to look into it.

What is it about me that is scaring new Commanders. I am at a starting station, and after 30 minutes of explaining what I am offering I have only one acceptance.

Well, that is one new Commander started. I will continue helping him (he has signed off for now), but I am off back to see if anybody else wants my help.
Please note, while this seems that I am bragging, I am not. I am posting this to keep the thread visible. I hope that this is acceptable.

Last edited:
I ran into you today at Dalton Gateway and you explained the proper way to use a fuel scoop and then left me with a little over 20,000cr. Very helpful as it's only my second day as a Commander. Thanks again!

This guy is extremely very helpful player. he has made me a lot of credits and is more then willing to teach you the basics. i strongly suggest teaming up with him, as he is a very unique player that is willing to help you learn the basics of the game and I am willing to join his ranks in helping this game become the best experience you can have to a space ship emulator.

I can attest to Hell Razors helpfulness. Got out of my sidewinder within a week of playing and got a head start on figuring out the difficulties of this game, although still really fun playing.
I also would like to thank Commander Derrida. Got my bounty hunting skills up thanks to him. This thread should really be in the newcomers section and stickied. This kind of camaraderie is really helpful and beneficial to the ED community. Cheers.

Top Bottom