Helmet Visor standalone shader for RESHADE 3.0+

Hey there CMDR's!

First of all, if im in the wrong section please move this thread somewhere else i saw that the NO2O! The Definitive List of 1.7/2.2-Compatible HUD Colour/Color Configs is in General Discussion forums so i decided to put this here too.

I'm going to give y'all a new "hud" or more like and "Helmet Visor" that can be used in addition to our beloved and unmodeable ED hud.

Why i did it?
Already know that some CMDR's have similar things, so, first i took their idea
IMMERSION
I can attach the app "on top replica" somewhere in the helmet hud and it's cool (and i can watch music vids, series, documentals, while doing long travels in the immersive way)
I can use it to aim even without my canopy (c'mon! it's year 3304, a lot of fighter planes has this "feature" in their helmets at the present time)
It can be used as a Boresight to help me to get out the mail box perfectly with big vesels.
REASONS

Lastly, i need help or ppl to get involved in this and share with all of us more helmet designs, i'm not a photoshoper (i don't even have it, used gimp to make this things), can't even draw a stickman on paint so it's pretty hard to me make this stuff, that being said, if ppl find this thing cool and more helmets come, AWESOME, if not, consider this little shader as a gift to the community.-

Can look like this:

fKpNcIy.png
RmHEp

RmHEp

Run6qhT.png

0MDgHRv.png

[video=youtube;62ZJ0L0VhYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ZJ0L0VhYA[/video]

It uses RESHADE 3.0 or greater.
Its a standalone shader so you can have your reshade config and this "helmet" as a toggle in another hotkey (configurable via ALT+F2 at the ingame Reshade configuration menu)
To install just drag and drop the SHADERS and TEXTURES folders into the "reshade-shaders" folder.
The Shader recognize any HUD.PNG file present at the textures folder (i put there a few samples, just rename any of them to HUD.PNG and you are rdy to go)

Compressed files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEVFizRH4GIc_dJXqXA-dhC5KvvoIskq/view?usp=sharing

Credits:

Crosire for making public this standalone shader
Echo009 @ Devianart por making public some of his huds
DisAstranagant @ Devianart por making public some of his huds

FAQ:
A: Can i use it with VR?
Q: I DON'T KNOW, i think it should work just OK, the PNG file must match the output resolution of your VR system. i play at 1080p so the png files i'm sharing are for that resolution.

Q: it's going to my reshade profile?
A: NO, it's standalone, just make sure to tick the HUD.FX shader in the ingame reshade menu (ALT+F2)

N3wlJQP.png

N3wlJQP

N3wlJQP

Q: Why the colors of my reshade profile are changing when i activate the helmet
A: First, my files (almost all) has a glass texture added in the helmet, so it's common issue atm (i can share raw gimp files for editing purposes if asked), also, u can drag and drop the HUD.FX at the bottom of the shaders pipeline, doing so your configuration won't affect at all the hud visor

LAST 3 CREATIONS NOT INCLUDED IN THE MAIN DOWNLOAD

BLUE HELMET
xGNQp5r.png

GREEN HELMET

qHctTZt.png

ORANGE HELMET

IU4Vxbp.png

Last edited:
This looks absolutely incredible and is inspiring a lot of ideas for me.

I'm having an issue though; I'm a former EDFX user and v3.x of that required v2.x of ReShade. It's time to upgrade. I went to reshade.me and got the latest version (3.1.2) and when I installed it the game no longer launches. It does the gray bar across the top, starts loading the shaders and then blinks the screen, and then back out to the launcher.

If I go to Options > Validate Game Files, I can get the game to work again but it wipes out ReShade 3.0. Any thoughts? Would be keen on trying your mod out.

Uhm. What changed? I don't really see the difference to be honest, apart from glowing more. Is it the colour scheme that would normally not be possible? Oo

This looks absolutely incredible and is inspiring a lot of ideas for me.

I'm having an issue though; I'm a former EDFX user and v3.x of that required v2.x of ReShade. It's time to upgrade. I went to reshade.me and got the latest version (3.1.2) and when I installed it the game no longer launches. It does the gray bar across the top, starts loading the shaders and then blinks the screen, and then back out to the launcher.

If I go to Options > Validate Game Files, I can get the game to work again but it wipes out ReShade 3.0. Any thoughts? Would be keen on trying your mod out.

Weird.... i was an EDFX user too, came across similar problems but without a crash to desktop.

When you installed Reshade, did u select DX10 option and -when asked- downloaded all the shaders from internet?

CTD are pretty often caused by DXGI.DLL or bad installs, that's why im asking this questions.

Uhm. What changed? I don't really see the difference to be honest, apart from glowing more. Is it the colour scheme that would normally not be possible? Oo

Lol, i don't want to be mean at all, but are u joking right?

If your answer is NO, then, look again the edges of the screen in the 1st 2 pictures, and the center of the screen in the 2nd pair of pics (that crosshair), it's like a new layer that simulate the Point of View of an Helmet.

BTW u r right about the glowing stuff, im using reshade to change the colorspace of the game too

if your answer is YES => [big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin][big grin]

Hey there Mase, o7

Was tweaking it last night and found the answer but not easily searchable, at least in the context of ReShade 3 with Elite Dangerous (actually the search that led me to this thread).

Problem was after I installed ReShade 3 and downloaded the default shaders, as normal, and went to start up the launcher the grey bar at the top blinked up, shaders were never compiled, screen blinked, and came up again, then back out to desktop and launcher.

Solution was to rename the DXGI.* files in the game directory to D3D11.* and then launch the game again - it actually adds the correct DXGI.* stuff on its own after that, and program launches as expected. Also made some swank changes to ReShade 3 last night and tweaked colors of the interface, changed the menu to Ctrl+Shift+Backspace and so on.

Now I can look into this shader / texture combo. Again, thanks for the ideas, the concepts, the legwork, and the inspiration.

nice shader

i wonder - can i use something like that to get a non-click-able overlay (i play with M&K) of 3rd party tools like EDDiscovery, and or youtube into my HUD?

Hey there Mase, o7

Was tweaking it last night and found the answer but not easily searchable, at least in the context of ReShade 3 with Elite Dangerous (actually the search that led me to this thread).

Problem was after I installed ReShade 3 and downloaded the default shaders, as normal, and went to start up the launcher the grey bar at the top blinked up, shaders were never compiled, screen blinked, and came up again, then back out to desktop and launcher.

Solution was to rename the DXGI.* files in the game directory to D3D11.* and then launch the game again - it actually adds the correct DXGI.* stuff on its own after that, and program launches as expected. Also made some swank changes to ReShade 3 last night and tweaked colors of the interface, changed the menu to Ctrl+Shift+Backspace and so on.

Now I can look into this shader / texture combo. Again, thanks for the ideas, the concepts, the legwork, and the inspiration.

Hey there Cmdr o7!

Nice to hear that you fixed the problem, share your creations later if u want.

And you are welcome Cmdr

:)

nice shader

i wonder - can i use something like that to get a non-click-able overlay (i play with M&K) of 3rd party tools like EDDiscovery, and or youtube into my HUD?

Mmmmmm i dont think so, reshade (AFAIK) can only inject image spaces directly to the game.-

BUT i can suggest ya something, not with my shader but with an application, check the video below:

[video=youtube;nzGJXIK1llA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGJXIK1llA[/video]

https://github.com/LorenzCK/OnTopReplica

With that application you can put on top of a main window ANY application, make it unclickable and also make it somewhat transparent. Give it a try and see if that's what your are looking for cmdr.-

Liking what I'm seeing so far, but had a couple questions

Here's some pics with "Bask Mode" turned on in Reshade 3. This is at 80% opacity.

Hj8QqQC.jpg

a9HAXgl.jpg

DOPAAVx.png

And finally, one without BASK mode for reference:

64e4emA.png

So here are the questions:

1. Is there any way to disabled the crosshair elements and enable them as needed? I don't need or want them on unless I'm in combat.
2. As far as the demo video you presented in the OP, what settings did you use for that? I like that look but can't duplicate it.
3. Regarding Depth of Field, is there any way to see 'more' or 'less' of the helmet HUD? I don't typically change my DOF beyond standard menu values, and I think much of the texture is going unseen.

Thank you for your work on this one commander. Highly interested in using it in the near future, with a few tweaks to the settings.

So here are the questions:

1. Is there any way to disabled the crosshair elements and enable them as needed? I don't need or want them on unless I'm in combat.
2. As far as the demo video you presented in the OP, what settings did you use for that? I like that look but can't duplicate it.
3. Regarding Depth of Field, is there any way to see 'more' or 'less' of the helmet HUD? I don't typically change my DOF beyond standard menu values, and I think much of the texture is going unseen.

Thank you for your work on this one commander. Highly interested in using it in the near future, with a few tweaks to the settings.

Heya Cmdr Palegringo.

1- Already trying to make it work, but yes, making another .FX file (shader file) and pointing it to a Texture image without the elements u dont want or want to make toggleable. Doing it in that way you'll need 2 hotkeys one for enable the "main" hud, and another one to enable the "elements".-

2- I'll share with you my Reshade settings ASAP when i get back home. Working atm.-

3- Short answer is no, i do simulate a "DOF effect" while editing some pics but as soon i inject them ingame they turn :(

EDIT:
If you want to change DOF values just cuz the shader hud is obscuring some elements of your real ingame interface, just edit the FOV values.

(
C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\Settings.xml)

Last edited:
Totally meant "Field of View" on #3 instead of Depth of Field. Brain not working on weekend. Question should read as follows:

3. Regarding Field of View, is there any way to see 'more' or 'less' of the helmet HUD? I don't typically change my FOV beyond standard menu values, and I think much of the texture is going unseen.

Cheers and o7

Nice idea, matey. Hadn't considered using the HUD shader for this purpose... :D

I've been using the new* Prism chromatic aberration shader to add some blur/distortion to the peripheral vision.. it could work well combined with a helmet overlay like these. Just be sure to drag the HUD overlay shader down in the list, so it renders after the CA has been applied.

(* I think it was already present in some form in ReShade 2.0 but only recently got re-implemented for 3.0)

Totally meant "Field of View" on #3 instead of Depth of Field. Brain not working on weekend. Question should read as follows:

Cheers and o7

K then, you want to tweak your FOV settings.

Check this CMDR:

Dr. KAII - EDProfiler

FOV, Hud Colors, in-deept graphics tweaks, and much more.

And no, Dr. Kaii doesn't pay me anything for advertising his app, its free.
:D

Also, check this thead to change colors without pilots pictures

o7

Nice idea, matey. Hadn't considered using the HUD shader for this purpose... :D

I've been using the new* Prism chromatic aberration shader to add some blur/distortion to the peripheral vision.. it could work well combined with a helmet overlay like these. Just be sure to drag the HUD overlay shader down in the list, so it renders after the CA has been applied.

(* I think it was already present in some form in ReShade 2.0 but only recently got re-implemented for 3.0)
Holy!!!!..... the NO2O thread starter itself! Ty for that work Cmdr, +rep there ASAP (i've been a leecher for some time honestly lol)

Last edited:
Silly but important "learning opportunity" for me: when you do a point update to Elite Dangerous (call it 3.0.4 on Monday or 3.0.5 today), it ground zeroes your game installation directory when it synchronizes the files, making it a less than desirable place to keep your ReShade 3 Shaders, Textures, and INI files that aren't backed up.

Lesson learned. Wrote a script to do that for me, but all my work on the HUD elements and the INI file I worked on this weekend - even BASK MODE - all gone.

I want to ask why does the edfx thread locked? is there a newer thread for general ed gfx mods? where?

Maybe cuz EDFX is not "under development" anymore? i follow him on twitter and the app wasn't updated for quite long time (2016/09/09 last update)

Short Answer: no idea, maybe a mod can help ya with that one.-

Quick follow up, Mase. o7

Wanted to know if you'd made any progress on getting the reticle separated from the helmet outline or at least tweakable on visibility. Also, about the scaling / FOV settings being zoomed all the way out.

Thanks in advance.

I am using the same type of overlay, but mine is interactive and animated.

I am using rainmeter desktop customizer.

EDFX or reshade overlay is nice and all, but only if it's for static HUD overlays.

jjfxBVY.png

You can do the same with animated stuff and usefull things like CPU/RAM/GPU stats, network usage, and stuff you need to access quickly while in game like links to EDDB, Inara, the Forums, etc... google for rainmeter desktop customization. for any other info, PM me

I went to reshade.me and got the latest version (3.1.2) and when I installed it the game no longer launches. It does the gray bar across the top, starts loading the shaders and then blinks the screen, and then back out to the launcher.

Same with Reshade 3.4.0.
Try renaming dxgi.dll -> d3d11.dll, dxgi.ini -> d3d11.ini (I don't have that PC near right now, so not sure about exact names, but the point is to use same file names (dll and ini) as used by Reshade 2).

Top Bottom