Newcomer / Intro help can't make money mining

spent 5 hours mining

paid me 12mil only [REDACTED: Content does not comply with forum rules.]

not sure what I am doing wrong

used to get paid 1.6 mil per ton of LTD, can't even get 1 mil a ton now

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the post at the top

I do not see what I didn't do

I went for core mining minerals that were supposedly high value, and they simply were not valuable it turned out

I appreciate that you tried to help. I just seem to see posts like that PSA one, and yet when I try to execute, 5 wasted hours.

I went for core mining minerals that were supposedly high value, and they simply were not valuable it turned out

I appreciate that you tried to help. I just seem to see posts like that PSA one, and yet when I try to execute, 5 wasted hours.

Well, if you don't want the nuisance of hunting down good places to sell (mainly because of bulk cargo tax and other people jumping on the info) - you could stick to platinum mining in hotspots. Predictable, good return for your efforts - it is what I use to finance the running of our squadron FC.

But you went for LTDs which are currently selling for less than 400k/T around the bubble. For core mining you want rocky rings, where everything you find can be worthwhile. As of this moment Musgravite is selling at 1,149,381/T.

You missed the part where it said:
  • If you want to mine with lasers, go to a hotspot in a metallic ring in a system with pristine reserves. Make sure you are not in a metal-rich ring, see FAQ #6.
  • If you want to blow up cores, go to any rocky ring in any system, drop anywhere, and explode all the cores you find. There might be another problem, though - not every station gives highest prices for all of them, so you might have to travel a bit to sell everything at max.

Good luck with your mining. It's been very lucrative for me over the years.

Platinum mining in a haz RES gets you 140 mil per trip if you have a Cutter. It takes 30 to 35 mins to fill up with 522T.

the sells are unreliable at best

worst case they are such a huge waste of time that they make all of the mining a waste of time

thanks for trying to help though, demand mechanic is all messed up

You got to remember there are hundreds if not thousands of people using the 3rd party tools. They want that "best" price too, demand will be met pretty quick. Make sure you check the demand numbers and the last time of the update. Anything more than 6 hours is probably stale.

If you can find a place yourself the price will be all yours.

As has been said, a steady income can be got from mining platinum using lasers. It's a bit tedious, but if it's the cash you need, it's reliable. At the same time, you can pick up painite and osmium (to a much lesser degree) and these sell well too although with a little more volatility on the painite front.

I personally don't core mine - it takes too long to find a 'roid with a core, longer for a decent one and the "hotspots" can turn out being notspots.

As has been said, a steady income can be got from mining platinum using lasers. It's a bit tedious, but if it's the cash you need, it's reliable. At the same time, you can pick up painite and osmium (to a much lesser degree) and these sell well too although with a little more volatility on the painite front.

I personally don't core mine - it takes too long to find a 'roid with a core, longer for a decent one and the "hotspots" can turn out being notspots.
I do it for The Boom.
The Boom is life.

yah demand mechanic limits playerbase lol

epic foot shot FDev LOOOOOOOL
Or, if you look at it from the other side, the fact that the demand is low means there are A LOT of players around. :)

The good news for you is that these saturated markets are highly localized because people be lazy and use third party tools.
If you want good margins, search the third party tools for good selling prices so you know where the players are going to be flocking to sell, and go literally anywhere else. Ideally as far from there as possible.

As has been said, a steady income can be got from mining platinum using lasers. It's a bit tedious, but if it's the cash you need, it's reliable.
It's a lot more interesting to mine in a haz RES. Like everything, it's safe enough when you know how to do it - just more happening and more decisions to make than mining in a hotspot. Also, you fill up your ship in no time (30 to 35 mins for a 522T Cutter). I find it a lot less tedious and a lot more lucrative than core mining, and less frustration.

You're probably filling up with worthless minerals that are taking up valuable cargo space.

First off, what ship are you using? What's your setup?

Secondly, where are you? Have you used EDDB to find pristine reserve hot spots near you and a good place to sell them after you've mined them?

Are you adding lower value minerals to your ignore list so you don't fill up on worthless minerals?

There's a lot you're not telling us. I can take my cutter out at will and in about an hour and a half rake in 130,000,000 in platinum. It's better than Citibank.

For that matter, I can re-outfit my Python and in an hour have 30,000,000 if I'm in a quick pinch.

I've been at this game a month. You're simply missing something.

I look at the title of this thread and keep thinking that it is a typo with the first two words swapped round.

After all as long as you don’t get your ship destroyed the only unrecoverable cost in mining is for the limpets and ammunition used so a full hold will make a profit.

I do realise that miners in the 34th century don’t consider getting 500% of their investment back every trip as profit but it still smacks of greed.

Top Bottom