Help needed illicit cargo

Took a mission to deliver landmines to LHS20 Ohm city. Got big fine the on way in and cannot afford to pay the fine. Am also locked out of star port facilities so cannot raise money to pay the fine. What is the best thing to do with a cargo of 44 land mines and no money? Are their systems nearby that would let me dock and sell ship equipment to raise the money even though I have illicit cargo on me?

Anywhere not controlled by the same faction. Just don't get scanned on the way in there. Outposts won't tend to scan you.

Or go somewhere Landmines are not illegal, like where you bought them.

Sell illicit cargo at Black Markets, especially if you don't have a certain engineer unlocked who requires a number of black market transactions before he'll take your calls. I recommend Low Security or Anarchy systems are your best options with regard to not gaining the ire of the legals. ;)

Hi,
Oops!
If you're carrying an illegal cargo, you must avoid being scanned by any system security pilots.
The best method I know is to enter the starport over 260 kph.
Drop out of fsd, fly out (max speed + boost) to >10 km, line up with the slot, then boost into the station. It helps if you fire off a heat sink about 5km out.
If you have a docking computer, use it as you enter the slot - not before!
I find the best ships for "smuggling", Cobra III, Type 6, A X, Python is OK if you have engineered thrusters. Cutter is OK, but needs careful manoeuvering through the slot.
You can use the station display in supercruise to help align before hitting "J"

HTH
CMDR ColP

In the case you're still stuck with those landmines:
If it's mission cargo (i.e. you didn't buy them yourself), you can't sell them yourself legally. You'll either have to deliver them to your target (unscanned!) or sell them on a black market as stolen goods (which may make your original contract partner unhappy). According to Inara, the nearest Black Markets are in LHS 20 itself. Unfortunately for you, all of those ports are under control of the same minor faction.
You could hop over to Babbage Hub in Nezhenses (unless you fly a large ship) and sell the landmines on the Black Market there. Aftwer you've sold them, you could pay off your fine at the Interstellar Factor there. You'll have to live with the reputation loss from your original task giver (it's probably not bad enough for them to send some headhunters after you).

Took a mission to deliver landmines to LHS20 Ohm city. Got big fine the on way in and cannot afford to pay the fine. Am also locked out of star port facilities so cannot raise money to pay the fine. What is the best thing to do with a cargo of 44 land mines and no money? Are their systems nearby that would let me dock and sell ship equipment to raise the money even though I have illicit cargo on me?
Ok so if u want to start learning to be a naughty smuggler i have 2 words SILENT RUNNING.
Drop into the station instance reduce speed to LESS than 100m/s (draws less attention from the cops) request docking permission and once granted hit SILENT RUNNING and get ur ship through the mail slot as quick as ur comfortable( maybe drop a heat sink just as you line up for entry) then get your ship onto the pad and turn off silent running then get into the hanger and complete your haulage of your shady goods. Mission complete and no fine. Bingo. Works for me every time. Unless i accidentally hit boost and slam the back wall at 600+m/s instead of deactivating S/R.

o7

I'm a veteran of the Robigo long-range smuggling - hundreds and hundreds of missions. I never used a heatsink nor silent running. I just flew straight into the stations moderately fast. I never once got scanned.

A mistake a lot of people make is getting scanned on the way out of the station. Don't forget that the cops are still there. Boost out of the station and keep boosting until you're clear. Make sure you have a decent power distributor.

Last edited:
Thanks all. It was bought cargo for the mission. I didn’t realise there was a blackmarket in Ohm city. Sold some of the cargo to pay the fine, went and fetched some more to complete the mission. The game has changed a bit since I used to play it in 1985!

Aye capt'ns!

Fer yer convenience, when ya need some boot extraction service... feel free to contact the Dark Marauders pirates.

Yer friendly free cargo extraction service! The best in the Galaxy!!!

Top Bottom