Help Please

Hello! I have been a CMDR in elite dangerous for years, on and off. In preparation for the new updates I was hoping to hop back into the game, but I am having trouble doing so through steam. When I open the game through steam, I am prompted to choose between ED, ED horizons, and VR. When I choose Horizons, the ED launcher says I require update yet there is no available update. If I choose the ED base game option, I only get the Demo button instead of play game like normal. I own horizons and have the receipt in my steam linked frontier account, yet on said account I see no downloadable products. I went through the support system which lead me to https://tools.elitedangerous.com/register via FAQ's. Once I logged in and entered the steam key I have into the prompted bar, nothing happened for a long while. Eventually I tried again and was prompted with an error stating the cd key had already been redeemed, yet once I tried to log in to the game again I receive the Demo prompt instead of the normal play game. I have been attempting to play to no avail for about a month now, and was about to purchase a new copy (because it's on sale) with ED and Horizons but in check out it tells me I won't receive a new copy of ED or Horizons with that purchase.. I don't know what to do anymore I just want to hop back in to ED if somebody could please help me out that would be amazing. I'm perfectly happy starting over so worst case I will just start a new steam account and buy the game on sale there, but I'd love to have access to my old account.

Sounds to me (I don't play via Steam) like the launcher needs to be updated - and then probably the game files.
I'd start with the Steam library and check if ED can be updated. If that doesn't work, uninstall ED, then reinstall again (all via Steam library, of course). Nothing of that should influence your CMDR, as that one is stored at FD's servers.

If reinstalling the game doesn't fix things, contact Frontier Support; they should be able to sort you out quickly. No need to buy the game again unless you want a second Commander.

Sounds to me (I don't play via Steam) like the launcher needs to be updated - and then probably the game files.
I'd start with the Steam library and check if ED can be updated. If that doesn't work, uninstall ED, then reinstall again (all via Steam library, of course). Nothing of that should influence your CMDR, as that one is stored at FD's servers.
Thank you for the response, I will be trying the reinstall again but unfortunately whenever I try to contact support the web pages never load, I get some kind of error. I posted here hoping I could maybe get a Frontier staff member to see and help.

Edit: I have just reinstalled and am prompted with the same errors =(

Last edited:
Thank you for responding! I will try to reinstall the game again (I had tried this a couple weeks ago, to no avail). Hopefully it works this time!

Thank you for the response, I will be trying the reinstall again but unfortunately whenever I try to contact support the web pages never load, I get some kind of error. I posted here hoping I could maybe get a Frontier staff member to see and help.

Edit: I have just reinstalled and am prompted with the same errors =(
Ok, it's not meant for this, but:
  • FD staff occasionally posts here. See if you can grab a post by our community manager @Arthur Tolmie and try to DM him, maybe he can help.
  • if all else fails, you can try to report your own post. That'll get you the attention of our volunteer mods. They are supposed to have a direct line to FD for difficult cases, maybe your problem with loading the support webpages will count as such. Good Luck!

Ok, it's not meant for this, but:
  • FD staff occasionally posts here. See if you can grab a post by our community manager @Arthur Tolmie and try to DM him, maybe he can help.
  • if all else fails, you can try to report your own post. That'll get you the attention of our volunteer mods. They are supposed to have a direct line to FD for difficult cases, maybe your problem with loading the support webpages will count as such. Good Luck!
I found another page that offered me a ticket submission and it went through! Thank you for your help

for what its worth
run ed on its own not horizons in other words login and get the game running there first
before logging in and updating horizons...………………...
that has helped with past login or updating issues in the past for some

for what its worth
run ed on its own not horizons in other words login and get the game running there first
before logging in and updating horizons...………………...
that has helped with past login or updating issues in the past for some
thanks! yeah i've tried it both ways, in the base ED version it says "play demo" so idk. hopefully i hear back from support soon!

Top Bottom