Newcomer / Intro Help renaming ship

Hi,
I'm trying to rename my ship, but i cant find a way to do it other than buying ARX, which i dont want to do. There used to be a way to rename it, but it no longer seems to work. Any advice?

ARX is not needed and I wonder why you would think so. Go to Livery and look in the right lower corner on your screen to rename the ship and the ID. Click on it. When it came out looking at the left options it took me awhile to figure it out. The Devs are sneaky!

Last edited:
There is no "lower right corner"... I go to livery/ID and all the options involve ARX. I can see no way to rename for free. I'm on PC
I have from top to bottom (on left)
General
Decals
Ship Kits
Identification
Cockpit Accessories

Assuming you want me to choose Identification, my sub menu's are:

• Name plate 1
  • Name plate 2
  • Ship ID 1
  • Ship ID2

All of which bring up really pretty blue icons, which involve buying ARX

Last edited:
Well, if you don't own a decal, paint job, ship kits, IDs or bobble heads you have to pay for them. But owning a ship look for this in the lower right corner of the Livery screen that doesn't cost anything. You own the ship and can change the name and ID without any ARX purchases. You are looking in the wrong place versus some glitch with ED not seeing it. Then with ED bugs maybe quit and restart the game to be sure.

id.jpg

Last edited:
Like Hooplah said - the very corner of the screen. Under your ship.
You can give it a name and an ID.

You only need to pay ARX for a name plate if you want to display the name directly on your hull, but you can rename your ship for free.

For all you landlubbers, renaming a ship is considered by many to be bad juju.

Legend says that when every ship is christened, its name goes into a "Ledger of the Deep" maintained by Neptune (or Poseidon) himself. Renaming a ship or boat means you're trying to slip something past the gods and you will be punished for your deviousness.

Heed these words my friends, the gods are not to be trifled with.

Legend says that when every ship is christened, its name goes into a "Ledger of the Deep" maintained by Neptune (or Poseidon) himself. Renaming a ship or boat means you're trying to slip something past the gods and you will be punished for your deviousness.

I rename mine all the time.

Gods? Pfft. The only one god in the bubble - and outside of it - is pure, hard cash. Credits. Every CMDR bows before the Credit God. And the Credit God has become mighty indeed with the credit coin changing hands in great numbers (and furious anger) as the bright lights of Fleet Carriers shine forth. Woe to us all.

Last edited:
I rename mine all the time.

I don't - F D in their wisdom (well actually to cover up a bug they introduced) have all ship names now reported in upper-case, no matter what you type in. So all my pre-existing ships are in title case (e.g. Ark Royal, Hermes, etc) whereas the new ones are not (so for example Dione is reported as DIONE) - all upper-case is jarring to the eye in my opinion.

Apropos ship renaming - it is worth noting that many ships captured by the RN in the Napoleonic Wars were just given Anglicised versions of their original names, supposedly to intimidate the opposition at seeing their losses used against them in a more "British" guise. (I think the USN did the same at times too.) Certain ship names in the RN carry (carried) a significance such that they get attached to other ships so as to provide continued cachet - e.g. the Irresistable under construction was renamed to Ark Royal since the previous Ark Royal was lost in WW II.

Many ex-RN ships in modern times are sold to foreign navies and they hold varying degrees of "exorcism" in their renaming.

That's cool, I don't support the greek pantheon so I'm OK. ;)

Deleted member 38366

D

No problem, as this only applies to Naval Vessels operating the seas of Planet Earth.

Since our Spaceships can't even land on Earth and aren't Naval Vessels to float on water - it's a total non-issue :)
(there's a curse affecting Dolphins, Belugas and Orcas though indeed : those can inadvertently spam "And don't forget, this liner is in the top 1% of liners out there!" into public Communication Channels)

Speaking of Monty Python, the non-believers in this thread remind me of the soldier Bors in the the Holy Grail's killer rabbit scene who said

"Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up! "

And I'm like

"I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?" :D

Last edited:
They say, ships without a name are doomed to haunt witchspace for eternity. Forever will they travel, nameless, never to reach their destination.

I actually follow this rule myself just as a personal roleplay. I like to believe some traditions like this survive even into the far future. I have only ever renamed one of my ships; but I had a good reason. I also take it a step further and each of my ships has to earn their name by completing it's intended task. A pvp ship has to have at least one kill before it can be named or an AX ship must have an interceptor kill to get its name.

Top Bottom