Newcomer / Intro Help using Partial Delivery

I have a delivery mission to deliver 10 units. I can fit only 6 in my ship but bought those and took them to the delivery station and tried to do a Partial Delivery, but the button to select the amount to deliver just remains red.

What am I missing here???

You "bought" the mission items? or picked them up from the mission board? that can be important as the mission will only accept mission items, not ones bought of the same name.

Are you sure you actually picked up the items?
As far as I remember you click on the + button to get to 6 then you have to click another button to complete.

I just returned to the station. I'm sure the mission said 'make sure you have enough credits to purchase the goods' which I did and that's why I bought them. I've abandoned it now and taken the fine. I'm just not sure I still understand the mechanics of those missions.

I just returned to the station. I'm sure the mission said 'make sure you have enough credits to purchase the goods' which I did and that's why I bought them. I've abandoned it now and taken the fine. I'm just not sure I still understand the mechanics of those missions.

I did a walk-through video of one of these, you could see if that might help:

You will normally run into two types of cargo transport missions. I call them Supply and Delivery type missions.
Supply missions will ask for you to go out and "buy" some type of cargo and turn it in at a station (normally the same station we pick up the mission).
Delivery missions will ask to deliver cargo that the mission giver will provide. Which is found after accepting the mission and returning to the mission board to pick up the cargo.
The icons for the two look like this.

Malc Yorks also made a video on the delivery mechanic which may help demystify the process.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0GjYv6vB4

You will normally run into two types of cargo transport missions. I call them Supply and Delivery type missions.
Supply missions will ask for you to go out and "buy" some type of cargo and turn it in at a station (normally the same station we pick up the mission).
Delivery missions will ask to deliver cargo that the mission giver will provide. Which is found after accepting the mission and returning to the mission board to pick up the cargo.
The icons for the two look like this.

Malc Yorks also made a video on the delivery mechanic which may help demystify the process.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0GjYv6vB4

MalcYorks = Para Handy :)

By the way - I have never seen the "Partial Delivery" button be active. Perhaps someone can give more info on that - is it just on wing missions for example?

@Tidal - you can collect and hand-in partial loads - that is why the UI now has you load up from the mission screen and then at the delivery point, just give what you have then click "Back" and go get the next load / rest of the load. It means you can accept missions that involve more cargo than your capacity so seems a good thing.

By the way - I have never seen the "Partial Delivery" button be active. Perhaps someone can give more info on that - is it just on wing missions for example?

@Tidal - you can collect and hand-in partial loads - that is why the UI now has you load up from the mission screen and then at the delivery point, just give what you have then click "Back" and go get the next load / rest of the load. It means you can accept missions that involve more cargo than your capacity so seems a good thing.
I've never seen it active either.
I guessed it was for wing missions, so if one person loses cargo it doesn't automatically ruin the mission for every wing member.?

I always thought it would work even if you were alone, like if you had to dump "some" of the cargo to appease a pirate, but were able to deliver more than half at least.

Also never saw it available to use, because I've never dumped cargo. Filthy pirates are for killing or running away from, not appeasing.

"Partial delivery" is only available in very specific circumstances: if you lose part, but not all, of your mission-specific cargo.

For example: You are at Station Alpha and asked to deliver 10 tonnes of Fish to Station Beta. You pick up the 10 tonnes of mission-specific Fish from the mission board at Station Alpha - simply purchasing the Fish there from the Commodity Market is unacceptable. They need their specific Fish delivered and will not accept substitutes. You are not allowed to question why this is so - you are being paid to deliver cargo, not ask questions. So with those very particular 10 tonnes of Fish on board, you set a course for Station Beta. Unfortunately, along the way you are set upon by pirates (NPCs or CMDRs, it doesn't matter which from the point of view of this scenario). They interdict you and successfully manage to steal 2 tonnes of your precious Fish (eg. by using hatch-breaker limpets on you), and the Pirates either run away or are destroyed before you can retrieve the Fish from them. You only have 8 tonnes of mission-specific Fish left in your hold when you arrive at Station Beta.

Under the old pre-3.0 mission regime, at this point you would have been forced to Abandon that mission, cop the fine and dump the now-Stolen Fish onto the black market. Now, you can still hand in those Fish which you still have on board, using the "Partial Delivery" button. You will only get a partial reward, depending on how much of the cargo you managed to deliver. I think for less than 50% of the cargo, you can still deliver the cargo using Partial Delivery but the mission counts as "Failed" and you still get fined. For more than 50% of the Cargo, the mission is a "qualified success" and you receive a reduced reward.

Last edited:
As above, the Partial Complete button only becomes active if you've either lost some of the mission-specific cargo and have delivered the rest, or the mission timer expires before you deliver it all.

Sorry, had to go to India for a week, so the upshot is that I shouldn’t accept delivery missions unless I can wholly accept the full cargo size in one delivery drop? Partial delivery won’t work for these?

Sorry, had to go to India for a week, so the upshot is that I shouldn’t accept delivery missions unless I can wholly accept the full cargo size in one delivery drop? Partial delivery won’t work for these?
You can deliver in multiple trips and just don't hit the "complete" button until you've made all the trips. The game lets you load and unload multiple times until you have transported the full amount. That's what the "back" button is for.

Partial complete is only for if you lose some of the cargo, not for when you left some back at the originating station. If you left some back at the origin station...go get it and deliver it and use the regular complete button once you are done.

Note that this ability to drop off however much you have then go back for more does NOT work with regular mining missions (but it does with wing and possibly mining rush missions).

Because, reasons?

Top Bottom